Yeti GOBOX Collection

Anyone ever use these tire chain gadgets?

So for me it's always an issue of clearance on the front tires. Can't fit chains on my fronts because the clearance is so tight.

I ended up finding chains with a ratchet strap that allow for better clearance. To be honest pretty weak design, but has been able to get me out of a tough spot and back into solid ground without totally breaking. Good in a pinch but not for driving on one bit.

Looks like this. If I had a welder I would build them a lot tougher but I don't so store bought it is IMG_2464.jpeg

All the money ya spend on hunting and your gonna try to cut a corner on chains in November? Your asking for trouble!
part of the problem is modern trucks can't chain of the fronts and so if you want to use chains on all fours you have to get creative with some of these other solutions or go up to a three-quarter ton

I don't know where you live but Les Schwab here sells cable chains, much thinner. No problem geting them on the front of my 2004 Explorer Sport Pac. Much thinner than chains but the down side is keep the speed down with them on. You could tear them off. Then again go to fast with chains on and you can tear rthem apart too.

Buy some chains that will fit your car and learn to put them on before you hunt. Bring along a good pad, flashlight/ headlamp and gloves

part of the problem is modern trucks can't chain of the fronts and so if you want to use chains on all fours you have to get creative with some of these other solutions or go up to a three-quarter ton
Pardon my ignorance but can you elaborate? I am in the market for a my first set of chains this winter after sliding and getting stuck in Taos last year. I have a 2014 F150 with 4wd, cant put chains on the front tires? Only rear?

Pardon my ignorance but can you elaborate? I am in the market for a my first set of chains this winter after sliding and getting stuck in Taos last year. I have a 2014 F150 with 4wd, cant put chains on the front tires? Only rear?
Ya correct. Your owners manual will tell you as well. I have a ram but I believe the ford uses an independent front axle as well. The issue ends up being the tire support, forget the name of the bracket, is super close to the tire wall. My truck has less than 1" of clearance so fitting a traditional chain between the tire and the bracket is next to impossible.

If that's not very clear I'll go take a picture of the issue point

Ya correct. Your owners manual will tell you as well. I have a ram but I believe the ford uses an independent front axle as well. The issue ends up being the tire support, forget the name of the bracket, is super close to the tire wall. My truck has less than 1" of clearance so fitting a traditional chain between the tire and the bracket is next to impossible.

Yea I see what you mean. The top A arm/ball joint deal. So one set it is. Need some kind of ass end ballast lol.

Yea I see what you mean. The top A arm/ball joint deal. So one set it is. Need some kind of ass end ballast lol.
Ya exactly! That's why you have to start looking at other creative solutions. Those ratchet chains I posted earlier kinda work.

At one point I thought about using wheel spacers to get more room for chains up front, I think in theory it could work, I'm just afraid it'll look bad and possibly increase wear.

Can also do cable style chains meant for cars. They aren't as good as chains but better than nothing?

I bought a set of new truck rims that the offset is different than the originals. They put the tire out farther and that way I have the clearance to put chains on the front tire. I put my 10 ply tires on the rims also. So far I have not had to chain up....close though. And if I go down the one road again and it's a little icy I know I will chain up next time.

Chains in a bag in both trucks. Quality chains. Rear. 10 ply's on both trucks.
I have had the chains on the Tacoma half a dozen times in 21 years.
Almost put the chains on the F150 last year due to the mud and ruts on my road. Not yet in 8 years.

My mantra of "not today" has paid off. I just don't put myself in danger needlessly anymore.

Dad likes to tell me that 4 high is for getting in while 4 low is only for getting out. If you use 4 low getting in you might now get out lol. Like @hank4elk says, the best thing is to be cautious from the beginning and hope you never need them.

I think the owners manual is telling you not to chain up the front end more for liability or for people that don't know how to put chains on. I have a 2022 Chevy 3500 that I put "V" bar chains on the front end and they work fine. I did fit the chains to the tire so that you don't have any loose links hanging on the inside that would hit or hang up on the suspension of the front end. They will work great, and it is best to just get the "Cam Lock" chains and then you don't need to put those rubber stretchers on to keep the chains tight...

thumbnail_IMG_0886.jpg

I don't think there is physical room to fit them in on a 1500. The build is different than 2500 or 3500 on the front end.

You may be able to squeeze a pair on a 1500 front end, but I'm doubtful. It's such a narrow gap

I don't think there is physical room to fit them in on a 1500. The build is different than 2500 or 3500 on the front end.

You may be able to squeeze a pair on a 1500 front end, but I'm doubtful. It's such a narrow gap
There’s not much room here either…

IMG_1572.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back