Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Anyone ever use these tire chain gadgets?

schmalts

I don't have chains for my truck. Never needed them but I'm planning on possibly having 2 November tags and might feel better having chains. Anyone ever use these as an emergency backup? If not have you used anything similar? Not looking for durability to go down the road but just to get back on it if I was on a 2 track .Screenshot_20230611-141751_eBay.jpg

I haven't personally, but saw someone try them this winter. A vehicle was stuck in soft snow on an ice fishing access road. Several of us fishermen were trying to help, as no one could leave the lake until that vehicle moved . Someone had those traction straps and put them on the stuck vehicle. They all broke in less than 2 seconds of tire spinning.

Chains are like condoms- you really don't want to put them on, but you are never sorry when you do. Buy a good set of chains and hope you never need to use them. The minute you think I might need to put the chains on, either do it or turn around before you get stuck and hope you don't get stuck turning around!

Last edited:
I have a set of chains for rear but I bought the claw kit since i cant run much upfront due to clearance and as a insurance policy thats a lot of rear traction. The older i have got the less likely i am to take truck into place where chains are needed, thats why i own ORVs. Understanding sh@t happens is why i pack the claw kit and chains in truck year round. Lucky my chains mostly get used anymore as ground traction laid in front of tire path to get truck moved 3feet and out of slick spot.

I see the zip tie ones are also on Amazon and have crap reviews. I like the truck claw idea as it looks to be the fastest to put on if it works with just one strap per tire.

While those emergency gadgets MAY work in a pinch, you really can’t beat the piece of mind in having a good set of proper sized chains and a high lift Jack. In a perfect world, you’ll have the chains on well before the need to utilize the Jack.

Snow and Ice aren’t near the nemesis that soft mud terrain is. Way easier to recover from winter oopsies.

While those emergency gadgets MAY work in a pinch, you really can’t beat the piece of mind in having a good set of proper sized chains and a high lift Jack. In a perfect world, you’ll have the chains on well before the need to utilize the Jack.

Snow and Ice aren’t near the nemesis that soft mud terrain is. Way easier to recover from winter oopsies.
Most of the time I need chains is on snow and ice. Except for a few times in the Breaks. But I need the traction for many miles up snowy and icy roads. Sometimes I can make it up without chains but need them on the way down so I can stop. The temporary traction things don't do me any good. mtmuley

I have an extra set of truck claws that I will sell fairly cheap if anyone’s interested. PM me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back