Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

This really happened to me!

Ward M. Clark

Remember that old segment in Outdoor Life? I always loved that, and I was thinking it might be fun to start a thread up here for "It happened to me" stories. Since I'm supposedly some kind of literary type myself, I'll start with one of my own:

The day started awful. Things got worse after that.

It was a frigid morning when we left my friend’s cabin at five in the morning, and a nasty, driving, wet snow/rain mixture was spitting from the starless, leaden sky.

During the half-hour drive out to Salt Creek, my hunting partner Karl and I speculated on the wisdom of climbing to the top of the plateau we intended to hunt. But drive out there we did, and when we dismounted from Karl’s truck, the weather had gotten worse.

“I’ll stay to the west of that big outcrop,” I told Karl, pointing at a dimly seen stump of red shale, “And you stay to the east. Meet back at the truck by four?”

“Okay,” Karl said.

“This weather sucks,” I grumbled. I was already soaked through.

“At least it’ll be quiet.”

I had a cow tag and Karl a bull tag. Karl went off into the heavy timber in search of a six-by-six, while I climbed to the top of the plateau to find a good place to glass for a freezer-filler. Every scrub oak, every juniper I bumped sent a shower of wet snow down the back of my neck with uncanny accuracy; Nature seemed full of malign intent this morning.

After a half-hours struggle I finally gained a vantage point. Glassing wasn’t very productive, but once in a while the sleet would slack off long enough for me to see a mile or so. During one of those lulls I was able to finally get a look into the high meadows on the mountainside on the other side of the Salt Creek drainage, and sure enough…

“Oh, crap,” I whispered to my private self, alone as I was on a lifeless, frigid, dripping mountainside.

Across the drainage was a cow herd, maybe twenty elk, grazing contentedly a mile or so away.

There was nothing else for it; my own stubbornness drove me on. I picked my way carefully down the mountain, down to Salt Creek. The road we had driven in on paralleled the creek, and I’d come out maybe a half-mile from the truck. I still had to find a way across Salt Creek.
The only opportunity to cross was on a beaver dam that looked to have been built sometime during the Eisenhower Administration by some particularly careless beavers. I told myself, “Myself, if I fall into that water, I’ll die of hypothermia before I can get back to the truck.”

I looked at the water, swirling dark and frigid like liquid onyx, chunks of ice bobbing carelessly in the current. Overhead the sodden spruces nodded at me, go on, go on.

I stepped out on the beaver dam. The sticks shifted slightly under my weight; my entire digestive tract tightened reflexively. Trying with all my mental might to levitate most of my weight off the dam, I slowly picked my way across. When I gained the far bank, I let go the breath I’d been holding, blowing snow off the trees for a good twenty yards. Now all I had to do was to hike carefully up through a half-mile or so of dark timber to where the elk were, in that sodden meadow, on the other side of the wet and dripping trees.

The sleet picked up a little as I climbed, but the spruces protected me from some of it. I took my time climbing over down trees and scrambling through a few ancient piles of slashing left by malicious loggers. After an interminable time, I reached the edge of the meadow. I crept stealthily, oh so stealthily; I crept like smoke on the wind to the edge of the frigid meadow, and peeked carefully around the bole of a big spruce.

No elk.

I stuck my head out a little further, scanned from one end of the meadow to the other.

No elk.

I fumbled with cold-numbed fingers for my binoculars, and carefully glassed the treeline all about.

No elk.

I double-checked the wind; in my face, as it had been during the whole freezing, soaking, miserable stalk. I glassed the treeline again.

No elk.

Finally I walked out into the meadow, slushed my way through the accumulating sleet and slush to the spot I’d seen the elk feeding.

No tracks. The sleet/slush/rain/wrath of God that was falling that morning had eliminated every trace.

Well, there was nothing else to do, so I sloshed back down through the spruces, through the slashpiles, over the down trees, to the beaver dam. Crossing carefully over the dam with my heart in my throat, I came at last to the road.
“Screw this,” I thought, and slogged on back up to Karl’s truck, to find him asleep in the warm truck cab.

I opened the door and gently shook Karl awake, only breaking one of his teeth and loosening three fillings in the process. “Oh, you’re back,” he belabored the obvious. “See anything?”

I filled him in on the entire miserable morning.

“Oh, you went after them clear up there? You should have been up where I was. I walked right into a cow herd. I had three of them standing within fifty feet of me.”

I fought down the urge to do him an injury. “Let’s go back to the cabin and dry out.”

Later, when we went out again for the afternoon hunt, the rain/sleet/slush/snow had stopped, and while the sky was still overcast, the clouds had brightened some. With our hunting togs dried out, we were actually quite comfortable.

It seemed kind of dull, somehow.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-02-2003 18:43: Message edited by: Ward M. Clark ]</font>

Well ? did ya get any damn elk
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Great story Ward!
cool.gif

I am not that great at composing a coherent story but here is a short one.

I went hunting and it was fun.
biggrin.gif

I said it was short
rolleyes.gif

Okay here is more.

As I live in a city and are where everything is flat and even, traveling to the south eastern part Ohio gives me ample chances at seeing how different the state is. So I met up with my best friend Bill M for some turkey hunting in the Hocking State Forest. It was a great Friday night being able to share conversation and a late meal with him and his wife.

We get up way before dawn in order to get to the area to pursue the elusive wild turkey. So we leave the campsite and go for a days hunt. Plenty of gobbling but no luck on Saturday.

For Sunday's hunt we go with Bill in his truck to the other side of the area to enter from a new direction. As we get there I realize that my flashlight is not in my vest. But I stubbornly refuse to say anything to have Bill go back to camp to retrieve it.
Once at the area we follow Bill up to a fork in the trail. He directs me to follow the one with my second oldest son while he takes the other with my youngest son.

So I take the trail in pitch black without a light aid of any sort. My son keeps telling me that he sees things and is hearing things while I am doing my best to keep us on the trail. I learned to follow some trails by watching the tree tops. A clear view of the stars helped lead the way.
We get to a area that Bill described for us and I decide to ease around in the darkeness to find a spot to await the dawn.

I start going downhill for about 100 yards and then decide for some reason to go back up 40 yards. So I find us a tree big enough for us to set up at together with our backs protected by it.

Then we have a eventful hunt after awaking to a gobble. We saw the top of the gobbler's head but at the last minute a jealous hen called him away.

So after it was said and done I decided to check out the area some more. I head bcak downhill the way I had been going. I see a crow flying below me about 60 yards away. So I decide to go and see why. There was a cliff that dropped around 200 feet at a 90 degree angle. If I had kept going down the hill anymore my son or I or both of us might have went down it and not been here today.

I then remembered that hunters or hikers are not supposed to be in Hocking State Forest after dark because of all the crevases and cliffs.

How was that?
wink.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Gary and I stayed up until 2 AM, drinking progressively stronger screwdrivers until they consisted of a splash of orange juice in a glass of vodka. Jack came by to wake us up at 5 AM, opening the door of the trailer at the exact moment I chose to vomit out of the same door. Leaping back quickly, despite his artifical hip, Jack managed to avoid most of the larger chunks. "Keeerist, Rick! Give people some warning!" Jack exclaimed. "Guess you won't be hunting this morning." After wiping my face, I looked up at him, grinned very weakly, and said "What do you mean? I'm just chumming for hogs!"
wink.gif

Everyone else left and took up their glassing positions, scanning the fields for black spots which might be hogs. Shortly after sunrise, they were shocked to see me on top of a ridge, hauling a gutted boar down to camp.
wink.gif

By the time they got back to camp, I had fried up sausage, onions, eggs and potatoes for breakfast burritos.
biggrin.gif

I learned, though, not to try to outdrink a fireman.

Was meeting a couple friends for a mule deer hunt , my hunting partner showed up and started calling me pussy and stupid for wearing a big winter coat and gloves and such.....heck its warm out there stupid...
So I took off everything and we went to meet the other party.
Well when we got outta the truck the wind was blowing hard, and very cold....so the other guys got out and they are decked out for winter so We just shrugged and said...alot of heat in that mpountain and started climbing.
Pretty soon the wind brought in sleet, then some sort of wet blizzard, the temp dropped to where I had ice cubes hanging off my mustache, hair and my jaw and hands quit working.
We all got seperated ijn the blizzard so I layed down and tried to crawl into a sagebrush to get outta the wind and die.
About 5 minutes went by and I still was'nt dead yet when I heard a shot,
I peered thru the snow and could just see a deer runnong up the mountain so I pulled up my gun, the scope was froze over so I took an instinctive shot and blew his back legs out,
then I took off running and could see a shadow thru the snow running too, it was my good buddy, we got to that deer and gutted him and stuck our hands and faces inside and ohhhhh did it feel so good.
My jaw started coming back as well as my will to live, as well as him too......when we got to carrying that deer out we were able to carry him like a log as he had frozen...Now I don't go anywhere without some winter stuff somewhere available.
lesson learned....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> the scope was froze over so I took an instinctive shot and blew his back legs out,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>An instinctive shot? What the hell is that???
confused.gif
mad.gif

Oak

Well, an instinctive shot is a bow hunting term.
Some people shoot with sights some people don't, the ones that don't are called instinctive.
In other words ,you point where you feel will intersect with something and release.
Could'nt see thru scope , so pointed and shot.

Yes, I know about instinctive shooting with a bow. Just never heard anyone bragging about doing it with a rifle.

Oak

Let's keep the thread a good one fella's. CO does raise a question but we have to remember that it is a relation of a story that is past history and I am sure that quail hunter learned from the misfortune of the scope freezing over and has a better one.
wink.gif

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back