MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Spooked and Humbled

Nameless Range

This afternoon I decided to go look for a whitetail in a few hundred acres of muck and beaver dams. I ended up having what was the most intense moment of my hunting life.

I got to the spot at 2, and had a doctor’s appointment at 5 o’clock this evening. I figured I would wander around in the willows for an hour and a half or so and see what I could find. That would give me plenty of time to drive the hour to my appointment from where I was hunting.

I’d never been there before, just driven by it in the past - where a small mountain stream fans out into a belly of willows about 400 yards wide and a mile long. It looked thick, but enticing. We recently had a hell of a snow storm. Where I was hunting, there was darn near 2 feet of snow. Temperatures this afternoon were in the teens, but had even been lower in the previous couple days.

I started into the heart of the thick. I figured if deer were in there they’d be out of the cold wind and where they could not be seen from the road. I quickly found that the entire span of the 400 yards was under water – most of it just 6 inches or so – soaked ground covered with deep snow. Not pleasant to walk in, but nothing the mucks I was wearing couldn’t handle.

IMG_6245.jpg

As you can imagine, I was making a fair bit of noise, but I jumped a deer too. It was promising. With a half hour left, I was maybe ¾ miles from my truck. I could’ve backtracked, but I thought I would just cut across the whole thing to the road and walk it to my truck. I started, and found a spot across the main creek. Ahead I could tell there were some frozen holes from past inundations, but there were willows and higher lumps in between that I figured I could use as solidish ground. Well, at one point I thought I was stepping on something solid, and it was solid– it was ice – which I broke through. I couldn’t tell because of the snow till it was too late. X marks the rough location where it happened. In all the green you see in this photo, none of it is dry.

Capture.JPG

I initially found myself standing in about 30 inches of water, my boots filling up, but the “pond” I unknowingly stepped on had a sloped bottom, and I was sliding down it. I sloped back as I went down and next thing I know by the time I can touch the bottom I am up to my neck in water, and my chin is essentially on a shelf of ice.

IMG_6250.jpg

I panicked and broke the ice in front of me, which was only about an inch thick, and then I turned around and “swam” back to the last solid ground I had known. Now, I am f*!king soaked up to my neck, it’s 15 degrees out, I’m a good 20 minutes from the truck on dry ground, and I don’t know if there’s a way straight through or if I am gonna have to backtrack. I didn't lose my cool, but I was concerned as hell. Incredibly my phone survived.

IMG_6243.jpg

There’s probably some sort of psychology occurring in my head at that time that's a cousin of the Sunk Cost Fallacy, but I decided that backtracking, which would take close to 45 minutes might be too long. So I do my best at finding a better crossing, which puts me up to my waist in water at one point, and I scramble through the sh!t on adrenaline and fear back to the road. The first 5 minutes after I fell in, I was very cold and I’ll admit, scared. But by the time I got to my truck, I was sweating.

I was dressed in wool from head to toe and I wouldn't go so far as to say it saved my life, but I do think I could’ve been in some real trouble if I weren't, particularly if I were further from the truck. Additionally, if that pond, which was probably only 100 sq feet in size, had been only a few inches deeper and I couldn't touch the bottom, I may not have caught myself on the ice shelf at the depth of my chin – gives me the creeps to think about going under that ice.

Serendipitously, I had an entire change of clothes at the truck in anticipation for the Appt, so I stripped naked on the side of the road, dumped a half gallon of water out of my boots, and celebrated my pulse with a Coors. Here's what I was wearing when I went through the ice I didn't know was there.

IMG_6247.jpg

My clothes and pack are now drying in front of the fire, and I've oiled and cleaned my gun.

Certainly a humbling experience.

Damn partner glad to hear you're ok. One never knows when that kind of shit is gonna rear its ugly head.

My buddy and I were coon hunting in southern Michigan 20 years ago, near a lake and swamp. Buddy comes slouching up to me and says he fell through the swamp and he never touched the bottom, his shoulders stopped him. It rattled him for sure. Glad your ok.

Glad that you are ok! Sounds like a scary ordeal but you did a good job keeping your composure. Valuable reminder for all of us to be careful and prepared.

Glad your alright!! I've taken a few polar bear plunges but luckily for me there was always a hunting partner close enough to help. Solo would probably be a lot more terrifying!! Good job keeping your head on straight and getting yourself out safely!!

Glad you were able to keep a level head and make it out ok. Things can go south in a hurry this time of year. Wool pants and polar fleece provide an amazing amount of insulating properties even when soaking wet. Don't ask me how I know.

Likely you would have died if not for that impressive mustache.........

Seriously, though, glad you kept your head and got things under control. People worry about lions and bears, but this is the kind of event that sneaks up on us and get us in trouble fast.

Holy sh!t that is scary. Glad you are ok. Took my brother duck hunting once and he was following me out to an island in the river. He was following me closely on what seemed to be very thick late December Ice. I didn’t here a crack when I was walking.

Heard a woosh and looked back and luckily he was carrying a bag of decoys and his shotgun parallel to the ground with both hands. His armpits and shotgun kept him above the ice. No way he would have survived if he went under.

Needless to say, we didn’t mess around walking on ice in the river after that.

Crazy experience and glad you made it out safe.
At least you were wearing wool this time, as I remember another thread of yours from years past where "dressed in cotton" you headed up a hill to kill a buck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back