This One Was For Dad

elkrchr

I grew up in Wisconsin and dad got me started hunting at an early age. He hunted at a camp in northern Wisconsin and when I turned 12, I started my deer hunting career at the camp. I hunted there for 10 years and never saw a buck or shot a deer. I moved West and never did return to hunt at the camp. Dad loved the camp as much as the owner did and started planning for the next season the minute the WI gun deer season ended. The camp was build in the late 1930's and really hasn't changed all that much since. No running water, no electricity and it is one mile from the nearest drivable road. In January I talked with dad about traveling back to WI with my nine-year old son to hunt at the camp. He was ecstatic and of course called every week to tell me what new article of clothing he had bought for my son to keep warm.

This summer my mom and dad came out to OR to visit for a few weeks and dad passed away unexpectedly. His wish was to have his ashes spread at camp. It had been 25 years since I last hunted/visited the camp, but not much had changed. The day before season the property owner, myself and my son spread my dad's ashes and hung a stainless steel plaque on a tree near his stand. This year would have been his 43 consecutive year at camp.

At noon on opening day, I shot a small 3 point buck from his stand. The buck had been radio collared (the collar had fallen off) and ear tagged by the WI DNR for a dispersement/mortality study. I truly believe his spirit was watching over us this season and I want to say THANK YOU to him for starting my passion for the outdoors at a young age. His physical presence at camp was dearly missed! Enjoy the photos!

Attachments

• Deer Camp 1.jpg
    Deer Camp 1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 671
  • Deer Camp 2.jpg
    Deer Camp 2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 675
  • Deer Camp 3.jpg
    Deer Camp 3.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 671
  • Deer Camp 7.jpg
    Deer Camp 7.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 671
  • Deer Camp 4.jpg
    Deer Camp 4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 670
  • Deer Camp 5.jpg
    Deer Camp 5.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 675
  • Deer Camp 6.jpg
    Deer Camp 6.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 675
  • Deer Camp 8.jpg
    Deer Camp 8.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 678
  • Deer Camp 9.jpg
    Deer Camp 9.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 665
  • Deer Camp 10.jpg
    Deer Camp 10.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 668
  • Deer Camp 11.jpg
    Deer Camp 11.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 671
I'd give anything for one more hunt with dad. Nice story and a great way to memorialize your father.

What an honorable manner to memorialize his life! Grats on your hunt

I would have loved to have gotten the experience to hunt out of a midwest deer camp. IMO there is nothing that screams "hunting" heritage than an old cabin in the woods. Neat stuff, and so cool that you are passing on the heritage.

Thanks for sharing your memories and recent trip. Great photos and history, love the plaque. What an awesome legacy

Great story and pics. I'm lucky to still be able to hunt with my Dad and I do so as much as possible. . .time kind of stands still for us on these hunts. . .the memories of our hunts from when I was just a tiny boy till now are some of the best, and I rememember them all. :)

Cool story. Unlike those who would portray it differently, hunting isn't just about killing stuff. A HuntTalk salute to Bill Bodenheimer!

A great tribute to your father. I also have great memories of a hunting camp near Philips. My Grandfather built a shack in the 1930s off an old logging road near the Big Bear Lodge. I still remember the stories and card games. I started there in 1962 at the age of twelve until 1976. Now they are all gone except for us grandchildren.

Heading to hunting camp with friends and family is a cherished event here in the U.P. What a great story/pics. Thanks for sharing!

Must have been hard heading back to camp without your dad, but what a great achievement to shoot a buck out of his stand and it looks like the next generation of hunters in your family enjoyed himself very much.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back