Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Things that are just Sins with wild game meat.

To me the only "sin" is wanton waste. If you want to grind an entire moose go for it. Eat it the way that makes you happy.
Throwing parts in the trash.

If you debone a hind in the field those bones will go back into the system, if you take them home and trash them they go into an anaerobic landfill.

I'm as 100% guilty of tossing silver skin in the trash and it kills me... I've been trying to be better about either composting or if not available chucking it in the woods.

People who let the meat sit in the freezer for 2 years, eat very little of it, and then chuck it in the garbage. Sad.

2 years... its just getting good at that point, I pulled out some bou steaks from 2018 in July and they were amazing.

When I was in college and headed home for Christmas break, I stopped by my older brother's apartment to spend the night. He was defrosting his freezer prior to the month break and had 6 lbs of elk defrosted. His plan was to ditch it. I cooked it and ate all 6 lbs that night. No way was it going in the trash.

Wanton waste is my only issue. If someone likes to cook it dry, or grind it all for burger - not my cup of tea - but at least use it.

I see fellas driving around with their cleaned out elk and deer, uncovered or protected in any fashion, down muddy and grimy roads and highways every season. Maybe venison is better with a hint of diesel exhaust and road grime contamination, who knows. Either way, it definitely angers God.

Aside from burger or tenderloin medallions I cringe when I see venison cuts on a grill...and I prefer elk burger pan fried & not overdone.

To each is his own but personally I don’t care for when wild game is overcooked(anything past 130, imo, for burgers and tender cuts) and when people have to marinade something so long and strong that all it tastes like is the marinade. I’m ok with marinade that enhances the flavor or a brine.
throwing away a turkey carcass without making stock and not taking the legs and thighs should be eligible for capital punishment.

Aside from burger or tenderloin medallions I cringe when I see venison cuts on a grill...and I prefer elk burger pan fried & not overdone.
The key is to keep muscles whole while grilling and slicing just before serving.
It’s been years since I cut steaks and grilled them.

A good sirloin roast grilled to medium rare, brushed with garlic butter and sprinkled with kosher salt right after slicing makes my taste buds tingle. I like it better than backstraps.

The key is to keep muscles whole while grilling and slicing just before serving.

A good sirloin roast grilled to medium rare, brushed with garlic butter and sprinkled with kosher salt right after slicing makes my taste buds tingle. I like it better than backstraps.
Will give it a try Gerald...

You are 100% correct. I started doing this a few years ago just so I have the option of roast or steak later on when cooking. That sprinkle of salt right after slicing/plating is truly key as well.

Grinding any loin or backstrap is a sin. I also don't like adding any silver skin to my grind if I can help it. I try to trim as much as possible. I see a lot of people just throw it in their grind piles. I can't do it. To me, there is a taste difference that I just don't like.

We grill the vast majority of our wild game in the form of steaks. We rub some vegetable oil on them so they don't dry out. Maybe that's the difference that will keep me out of hell.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back