Things that are just Sins with wild game meat.

I gave some elk to my sister and brother-in-law. They made spaghetti with it the night before I visited and were going to throw it out since they "don't eat leftovers." I didn't haul that thing off a mountain to get thrown out. I had spaghetti for dinner that night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will give it a try Gerald...

You won't regret it.... Throw a cleaned up, well browned, whole muscle on Traeger/Grill run it up to 10deg below where you want it to finish, and then wrap it in tinfoil to set for 20-30 min. Ridiculously good...

options:
1. 2 days later take the leftovers and slice for sandwiches.
2. right away deglaze the cast iron you browned in and make au jus, slice the meat up once it settles, throw it on a crusty roll, throw on some sauted onions/mushrooms/pickled peppers/provolone if you like, and you have a dynamite french dip....

Will give it a try Gerald...
Crush some Rosemary and fresh pressed garlic in your butter and baste liberally while cooking. Take it to a 130 internal temp and let it rest for ten minutes before slicing. Pour the leftover garlic butter over the meat, sprinkle liberally with kosher salt. 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

It goes without saying that it’s best to let the roast thaw out slowly in your refrigerator for a day or two.

The key is to keep muscles whole while grilling and slicing just before serving.
It’s been years since I cut steaks and grilled them.

A good sirloin roast grilled to medium rare, brushed with garlic butter and sprinkled with kosher salt right after slicing makes my taste buds tingle. I like it better than backstraps.
100% correct.

Things that are started to become a sin to me:

1. Wasting time trying to debone front shoulders and shanks rather than smoking and then slow cooking them.
2. Grinding a bunch of meat during initial processing rather than leaving as stew size chunks to have the option for a fresh grind later or venison stew.

Poor field care!!🤬
I just don’t get putting the time and expense that we often do into hunting and then not following that up with clean and proper treatment of the animal when your lucky enough to get one down. Hair, dirt, etc. in the meat, improper cooling, etc…and don’t get me started about antelope hunters that have one riding around in the back of a pickup in the sun and dust while they “look for another” for their buddy!!! Ever hear of frozen milk jugs bubba? Jesus….

I'm going to add another one... Butchering and cooking too soon. T-loins are usually exempt here...When possible i like to have the meat on the bone to go into rigor but I've had loin roasts that were filleted off a still warm carcass that were tender, so maybe I'm overzealous.

Rigor mortis is the stiffening of joints and muscles after death. In deer, this period can last between 12-24 hours and sets in when a carcass begins to cool. If venison is cooked during this time frame, prepare to sit down to tough pieces of meat.

For more tender venison, butcher and cook deer after rigor mortis has reversed – when the muscles have had time to relax. This is achieved by hanging deer after field dressing. To be safe, I usually allow two days for rigor mortis to completely fade.

Wanton waste is the biggest sin by far IMO. I found this a few years ago on a western elk hunt down in one of the biggest hell holes I had been in. All 4 quarter bags and a trimmings bag were still strung up in the tree with the horns laying there as well. All that was left was bags of bones. 0D675082-93B5-4129-B921-78A80825F349.jpeg My guess is that the hunter shot it and realized after quartering it that they would never get it out. That elk was literally shot and left to rot for nothing. I looked everywhere for a tag but couldn’t find one. I called it in to the warden and provided coordinates and pictures. No clue what happened after that.

Poor field care!!🤬
I just don’t get putting the time and expense that we often do into hunting and then not following that up with clean and proper treatment of the animal when your lucky enough to get one down. Hair, dirt, etc. in the meat, improper cooling, etc…and don’t get me started about antelope hunters that have one riding around in the back of a pickup in the sun and dust while they “look for another” for their buddy!!! Ever hear of frozen milk jugs bubba? Jesus….
Got a deboned elk in the cooler right now that a hunter brought into our shop to have us butcher that is so dirty it would make you barf. Looks like he laid it in the dirt

I'm as 100% guilty of tossing silver skin in the trash and it kills me... I've been trying to be better about either composting or if not available chucking it in the woods.
If you make stock, which I think everyone definitely should, just throw the silverskin in there. Its just collagen, which is exactly what you want for that rich broth.

Back