PEAX Equipment

Things that are just Sins with wild game meat.

Wanton waste is the biggest sin by far IMO. I found this a few years ago on a western elk hunt down in one of the biggest hell holes I had been in. All 4 quarter bags and a trimmings bag were still strung up in the tree with the horns laying there as well. All that was left was bags of bones. View attachment 195204 My guess is that the hunter shot it and realized after quartering it that they would never get it out. That elk was literally shot and left to rot for nothing. I looked everywhere for a tag but couldn’t find one. I called it in to the warden and provided coordinates and pictures. No clue what happened after that.
[/QUOTE]
Something about that whole situation doesnt make sense.

Got a deboned elk in the cooler right now that a hunter brought into our shop to have us butcher that is so dirty it would make you barf. Looks like he laid it in the dirt

That’s just wrong on EVERY level. Shop where my buddy works get a few carcasses every year that are so poorly handled (gut shot and not cleaned up, hair and shit everywhere) that they refuse to take them in.
Another reason why I process all my own animals, I don’t want to share a table or a grinder with game treated like that.

That’s just wrong on EVERY level. Shop where my buddy works get a few carcasses every year that are so poorly handled (gut shot and not cleaned up, hair and shit everywhere) that they refuse to take them in.
Another reason why I process all my own animals, I don’t want to share a table or a grinder with game treated like that.
Yep there are some we won't take. We definitely charge extra on anything that is nasty dirty. It's absolutely disgusting what some guys do. I like my meat to much to get it all dirty in field and to not keep it cool

i don't do a lot of gifting of game meat, too likely to be wasted or underutilized. even the guy that carried out half my deer with me last year, didn't give him any - i'm fully aware that he still has elk meat in his freezer that's 6+ years old....

last time i gave a way game meat is it was to the guy who gave me private access for a white tail doe.

i do however try to cook people game meat at every possible opportunity.

Not sure if this is ignorance, stupidity, laziness, or a combination of all, but it is definitely a sin
When I used to work at my uncle’s meat shop, we would get people that would put fresh quarters into an ice chest; warm ice chest n fresh warm quarters, some of which would be driven in from all corners n other states.
Some were definitely ignorant because they were completely shocked when the ice chest was opened n all they had was a stinky pile of spoiled meat.

One local butcher charges extra for boned out meat. He calls is a "basket case." Most people mix the deboned meat covered in hair and blood with the clean and contaminate everything. It takes a lot of work to clean it up. I use separate bags for "clean" and "dirty" so I have less to clean up.

Antelope is not for hamburger or sausage. Grind as little as possible. mtmuley
While I in general agree with that, I ground some of mine last year (with no additives) and did antelope sliders as an appetizer a few times, and hollllly shit were those things good. Just because it was ground doesn't mean I appreciated it any less.

A sinful “bachelor“ meal of squash and grilled elk steaks with a little fat left on them. A friend convinced me to leave a bit of fat. If it hasn’t gone rancid from letting it age for weeks it makes for a delicious steak!

With or without the fat you need to keep it from drying out with some type of basting oil89464EA3-8470-4421-B3F4-F552A761AA56.jpeg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back