Yeti GOBOX Collection

They'll wear you down....

Oak

Expert
I'm tired. It's never-ending. There are 30 ropes and 10 people pulling on them. Gets to the point a guy doesn't even have the time to enjoy what he's trying to protect. Doesn't have time for his family. We need more hands on the ropes.

Time to prepare for another 9am meeting tomorrow, halfway across the state. Pick up a rope if you're so inclined....

I'm so far out from the major centers and where they have occasional meetings, so most of my time is phone calls and emails. Thanks for your boots on the ground, Oak.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt.

You got this.

Keep at it Oak, need others to step in the arena.

126306-Unless-someone-like-you-cares-k1aC.jpeg

WI resident here... Not sure if NRs voices matter in state battles? Willing to take a rope but don't know how. Any way I can help, I'll do my best. Thanks to all of you who have been so active.

Last edited:
Thanks for what you're doing Oak. Keep up the good work. I agree the attacks are relentless, but so must we be.

WI resident here... Not sure if NRs voices matter in state battles? Willing to take a rope but don't know how. Any way I can help, I'll do my best. Thanks to all of you who have been so active.

This. I'm in VT, but care a whole awful lot bout what happens out your way, so please ask. Thanks for what you're doing.

I'm tired. It's never-ending. There are 30 ropes and 10 people pulling on them. Gets to the point a guy doesn't even have the time to enjoy what he's trying to protect. Doesn't have time for his family. We need more hands on the ropes.

Time to prepare for another 9am meeting tomorrow, halfway across the state. Pick up a rope if you're so inclined....

I have days like that too...and have asked the same questions...Why TF, am I doing this when nobody else shows up or seems to care?

Then you realize if not you...then who else is there?

Things don't change themselves, thanks for being in the arena.

BTW, stay tuned for a real gem regarding pronghorn in Wyoming, I've lost some sleep over it, probably going to lose friends and make some enemies over it too..

I'm such a tease...

Last edited:
To all the guys from out of state who want to help - do this:

Get involved locally, and bring your kids. Teach them that service is important to maintaining what you have.

Get involved at the state level by volunteering for groups who work at the legislature.

Get involved nationally by contacting your reps & senators & volunteering for groups who fight for public land.

In 1936, thousands of hunters and anglers converged on Washington D.C. for the first North American Wildlife Conference. This lead Ding Darling, FDR and others to create the National Wildlife Federation, which comprised state level federations across the nation. That system of advocacy exists today in many states still. Together, we can make a difference. We lend each other support financially, in our time and volunteer efforts and in our encouragement.

This is a 100 year war, which first started when TR formed the Boone & Crockett club. The same forces who would have taken our lands and wildlife from us in TR's time are the same ones working against us today. Only now, they control the Presidency, Congress and many of our state legislatures.

We win together. It's the only way.

What's he that wishes so?
My cousin, Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say "To-morrow is Saint Crispian."
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say "These wounds I had on Crispin's day."
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words—
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester—
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Oak, I get it . Most people have no idea the time that is required if you want to do the job right. That being said it would be nice to have some extra help pulling in the same direction!

Jim

If nothing else, call, email, and write your representatives as well as those beyond that. I would say still call even out of state people pushing agendas you don't like but absolutely hold your reps feet to the fire. Join conservation and sportsmen groups that help our cause. Also, educate and vote.

Ben and Oneye, I agree. I've recently joined a couple conservation/sportsmen groups (RMEF and Whitetails Unlimited so far) and I've sent some letters to my reps (who probably will probably be far less involved with PLT legislation than yours), but I feel like my impact is nothing compared to what you folks are doing over there. Maybe that's just the truth of the matter. Hopefully it's not though.

Ben and Oneye, I agree. I've recently joined a couple conservation/sportsmen groups (RMEF and Whitetails Unlimited so far) and I've sent some letters to my reps (who probably will probably be far less involved with PLT legislation than yours), but I feel like my impact is nothing compared to what you folks are doing over there. Maybe that's just the truth of the matter. Hopefully it's not though.

Every voice in a chorus matters. Keep singing!

Thanks for all you do. The commitment of you and others fighting the fight is greatly appreciated. And the support your family gives to the work you do is equally appreciated.

May I suggest you go for a hike and clear the mind. It helps me when I feel what you have expressed here.

You're a good man Terry.

I get a lot of valuable information from this forum especially as it pertains to public lands and our hunting heritage and the threats to it. Some, and they and we know who they, are doing the majority of the heavy lifting and I appreciate all they do. I'm sure a lot of us can do more and we should always strive to do that, but anything we do is better than doing nothing at all even if it seems somewhat insignificant to what others are doing. Voting, is probably the most important thing we can all do other than knowing and understanding the issues and making sure we vote for those who support what we believe in. We can make that time between elections a lot less chaotic and stressful if we vote wisely by being well informed.

Keep at it Oak, we all appreciate what you have done and are doing to protect our interests.

It seems we all have fires burning in our home states, but doing our best to help each other is the key!

More times than I can express, I've felt your pain. Some legislative sessions I have been sitting on the computer doing position statements, sending out Alerts, or writing congressmen into the wee hours of night.

Here's where I draw my energy from. GANNON-0011.jpglittle bear hunter.jpgglassing for ticks.jpg

Thank you for all you do and fighting for all of us.

I know how frustrated I get here in WI calling and writing reps, and I'm not NEARLY as involved as you troopers out there. Just let it be known that it is all appreciated.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back