There's alot of money out there

Boo. Hiss.

A Jake Clark trained mule, for $27k, is not a bad deal.
https://saddlemule.com/statistics-mule-days-sale-auction-prices.php

I'm way more on board with someone donating a mule, a fancy necklace, whatever, for auction to raise $$$ for conservation, than I am with auctioning off tags.
Just saying, if anyone with a packstring of mules like that wanted to be my friend I wouldn’t complain.
I have the wall tent and a portfolio of hunting spots I would love to ride a mule like that into.😄

Just saying, if anyone with a packstring of mules like that wanted to be my friend I wouldn’t complain.
I have the wall tent and a portfolio of hunting spots I would love to ride a mule like that into.😄
One mule isn't much good even if you can ride it and have the equipment to do so.

If they get the bid is it a tax write-off? They're buying something. Is that the same as a donation? I'd like to know how the IRS looks at this.
No, it is not an allowed charitable deduction. You get to deduct what you paid over/above market value.

They have bought something at market value, not in excess of market value. The market value is established by the bidders they are competing against who are willing to pay the same price, or close to, for the same special opportunity.

They are not bidding on a $1,200 elk tag from UTDWR. They are bidding on the guarantee. They are bidding on moving to the front of a very long line, with a correlation that the longer the line the more they are willing to bid. They are often bidding on not being confined to the season dates or geographic confines of drawing a tag for Unit X. They are bidding on an opportunity that lets them keep their place in the preference/bonus point line. The list goes on and on as to what they are paying for in excess of the draw tag any of us might acquire. They are not making these same level of contributions absent a special hunting opportunity, establishing even more so that the value of the special tag represents what they are paying for it.

Some say they tax this purchase can be claimed as a charitable deduction. Taking the deduction on your taxes and defending it under audit are two different things.

No, it is not an allowed charitable deduction. You get to deduct what you paid over/above market value.

They have bought something at market value, not in excess of market value. The market value is established by the bidders they are competing against who are willing to pay the same price, or close to, for the same special opportunity.

They are not bidding on a $1,200 elk tag from UTDWR. They are bidding on the guarantee. They are bidding on moving to the front of a very long line, with a correlation that the longer the line the more they are willing to bid. They are often bidding on not being confined to the season dates or geographic confines of drawing a tag for Unit X. They are bidding on an opportunity that lets them keep their place in the preference/bonus point line. The list goes on and on as to what they are paying for in excess of the draw tag any of us might acquire. They are not making these same level of contributions absent a special hunting opportunity, establishing even more so that the value of the special tag represents what they are paying for it.

Some say they tax this purchase can be claimed as a charitable deduction. Taking the deduction on your taxes and defending it under audit are two different things.
I doubt this happens often but if someone buys a Gov tag and then he takes a couple employees along on the hunt, can they write off the expenses associated with the hunt? I’ve never looked into it since I’m not in a position to do it. Just curious how that would work.

I doubt this happens often but if someone buys a Gov tag and then he takes a couple employees along on the hunt, can they write off the expenses associated with the hunt? I’ve never looked into it since I’m not in a position to do it. Just curious how that would work.
Nope.

A lot of cases out there about employers and their use of hunting and hunting lodges for entertainment and employee fringe benefits. They've lost every single case, but for some reason they continue to claim the deduction. When audited these folks often go all the way to Tax Court only to get their teeth handed to them. I suspect this is due to the client being adamant that they are correct and even against the advice of their tax counsel they demand it go to Tax Court.

Not saying it doesn't happen, it surely does. I know many people who take a key employee to Alaska on a fishing trip, or some other cool trip. For the employer to deduct it, the fair market value needs to be included in the employees compensation where it would be subject to all income and payroll taxes. That never happens.

Ride the mule in. Walk the mule out with a sheep on its back. Hardship, I know.
So you leave the camp behind? Then ride back in, load up the camp, and walk back out. Oh wait ... the mule needs to eat too. Gotta make another trip hauling in food for it. So ... let's count em up: walk in with camp on the mule, ride out, walk in with feed on the mule, set up camp and hunt, walk out with sheep on the mule, ride back in to clean up camp, and walk out. A tough job even for Superman! I know something about how this doesn't work. I made do with just two animals most of the time but it wasn't easy. It was NEVER one trip in and one trip out. Not unless I put something on the ground while day hunting from the road. Then the horses went in and out the following day, two quarters on each animal.

Last edited:
It’s not against the law to do multiple trips.
Heh, heh. In sheep country? No law against that ... but you might wish there was by the time camp was cleaned up and you're back in the truck.

I don't get it, a Wyoming Governor moose tag went for 70k but two fully guided Yukon hunts went for 35k and 42k?!

You can get a lifetime of great hunts for the price some of those mule deer tags are going for! I get some people have mad money but this is ridiculous!

I really appreciated this mule while hunting sheep in WY:

IMG_3325.JPG

I don't get it, a Wyoming Governor moose tag went for 70k but two fully guided Yukon hunts went for 35k and 42k?!

You can get a lifetime of great hunts for the price some of those mule deer tags are going for! I get some people have mad money but this is ridiculous!
Just think what a Saskatchewan mule deer tag good for anywhere in the province would sell for.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back