There's a marmot in my truck (revenge of flaviventris)

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Crazy, 3rd time I've heard of this happening. One time they had a state wildlife bio come out and snare the sucker from underneath. Another time a county dog catcher came. Both these scenarios might not work to well now with the critter being in its current condition.

For those HuntTalkers who missed neffa3 's original post referenced a couple of times in this thread.....worth the time to read this one!

Okay, seriously. I gave this a bit of thought with the half dozen brain cells still active and came up with this solution. Use a garden hose with constricted nozzle to flush the bugger out. Someone needs to be standing by with a fishing net to throw over it quickly. Sounds like the poor bugger won't be moving very fast. Then kill it with a baseball bat. Clubbing it to death sounds gruesome but should be fairly humane if hit hard and reasonably accurate. I suggest sending the wife and kids out for pizza.
I do have a pretty high pressure nozzle attachment, it wouldn't hurt to try. I'll need to keep the oldest kid to net or club but he's got enough redneck to accommodate.

Wllm1313's got it right. Stop being a puss and go wrestle it out. Or have wllm1313's wife do it for you.
In my defense, there have been only seconds of the whole ordeal where it's been within arms reach in a big enough space to grab, given that it's life history strategy is to hide from predators in crevices. But you're right wllm's wife should man up.

How about backing your truck down a boat ramp into a lake for a few minutes.
My dad recommended that as well, problem is I think he'll just keep migrating toward the front. it's a possibility though. I need a snorkel on my pickup like the cool kids.

If it was a Tundra I’d just send it across the Snake, but a Nissan might not survive that.
The boat ramp idea was thrown out previously because the top of the fuel tank is quite a bit above the doors and I don't know about @SnowyMountaineer but I wasn't going to voluntarily add excessive collateral water damage.

I do have a pretty high pressure nozzle attachment, it wouldn't hurt to try. I'll need to keep the oldest kid to net or club but he's got enough redneck to accommodate.

In my defense, there have been only seconds of the whole ordeal where it's been within arms reach in a big enough space to grab, given that it's life history strategy is to hide from predators in crevices. But you're right wllm's wife should man up.

My dad recommended that as well, problem is I think he'll just keep migrating toward the front. it's a possibility though. I need a snorkel on my pickup like the cool kids.
Be cautious about that last suggestion. I seem to recall rear differentials usually have a vent to relieve pressure (or they did in the old days anyway). Don't want to back in the water too far or you may get it inside your differential. Better check on that.

Yeah, I recall your kid knows how to get his hands bloody. Guess you'll have to flip a coin to see who gets to bash it. Whoever nets it should hang on. Hose tender can drop it and pick up the club.

B
If it was a Tundra I’d just send it across the Snake, but a Nissan might not survive that.
I about mentioned trying a deep river crossing too. I know of a good place on the Platte River that would do the trick, although a little too deep this time of year.

I gave it a rattle when I got home. Chirp chirp. Spare tire. I slowly drop it down and I could tell he wasn’t doing great, normally he’d have scurried to some impossible place right away. He gave me time to grab the cricket, snake shot ready, and line up.

Crack, and that’s that. Glad to put him out of his misery.

319F390C-06BE-4CEC-A765-000070CB5E8F.jpeg

I actually kinda like marmots (liked them more last week). A familiar critter on every backpack trip in the Winds, Beartooths, etc as a youth. This one had an unfortunate intersection with civilization at a parking spot no one had been to since sometime last fall.

If you accidentally procure a marmot I have little advice, other than maybe start with a little more firepower, gaff ‘em, or find whatever a cable noose on a stick is called. Good night and good luck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back