Yeti GOBOX Collection

The UN on Trophy Hunting

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I can assure you that those who see the UN as a boogey man are going to be surprised by this United Nations report on "trophy hunting."

http://cmsdata.iucn.org/downloads/iucn_informingdecisionsontrophyhuntingv1.pdf

I suspect the EU folks are going to be a bit surprised with the results of this study. I would expect the UN scientists and economists will end up besmirched over this one.

It even talks about bighorn sheep hunting in North America.

That one definitely gets a download into a newly created folder on my computer. It just came to me that I better be saving all this information for myself so I can access it later rather than referring to "some study someone did at sometime" when I have discussions with anti-hunters. (Duh, I know, I'm pretty slow at times, but it did finally sink through my thick skull)

Wow, a report based on science and data! Crazy. Thanks for posting this, it is good to see this. Wonder what the people at the Grizzly meeting in Bozeman would have said to try and invalidate this paper?

After reading that report, I am pretty sure it is a deceptive way for the UN to take all our guns;)

All kidding aside, that is a great report written by an organization that is held in respect by those that often hold a negative view of hunting. Hopefully it is spread far and wide...it might even change a few minds.

That's a good read, hope people will listen.

But the little bit of searching I have done, the IUCN does not appear to be a part of the UN. Am I wrong??

If not, then can I go back to treating the UN like the boogie man?

The IUCN was originally started with a push from UNESCO but it wasn't part of the UN per se.

I use the IUCN "red list" to look at the status of any species regarding population and threatened status. Many countries use the IUCN listing as the basis for their listing of species. I believe we should too instead of our ESA.

Usually the scientists working with the IUCN are the worldwide acknowledged authorities on a given species. They work in teams. Look at the listing for the gray wolf, grizzly bear or wolverine for instance. All at the lowest possible listing, because, well, they are truly not biologically threatened.

The IUCN created CITES the international body governing trade in endangered species.

The IUCN is as authoritative a source on species as you could ever hope for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back