Caribou Gear Tarp

The Slippery Slope of Trophy Hunting

EastTNHunter

Let me start out by saying that I have no issue with someone setting goals for themselves when it comes to hunting. Different people hunt for different reasons, and I’m ok with that. I hunt primarily for the experience and the meat, and the antlers are then way further down the list. But I’m a little concerned with the direction that our sport is going in relation to trophy hunting.

Let me explain:

I feel that we as hunters should focus on ethics and responsibility to ensure that our sport can maintain rights and privileges to carry on for future generations. That means that we should be concerned with how we are viewed by the non hunting public, as well as working towards the sustainability of the wildlife and habitat.

I live near a popular WMA in SE TN that has antler restrictions which leads people to believe that it is a primary trophy destination. I have loved this property for years due to its diverse habitat, and although I killed my first buck on this WMA, I and my kids have also harvested several does off of it as we have opportunity (it takes several years to build priority points to draw a hunt on this WMA, so about 2-3 years between hunts). We also small game hunt and hike there. I have been talking to the WMA manager over the last few years, and he informed me that not enough does get harvested on this WMA, so the population and crop destruction has gone up to the point that most farmers do not want to bid on sharecropping leases there any longer. I have been telling this to other deer hunters for several years, but they continue to tell me that they don’t want burn preference points and a trip across state on a doe. I get that to an extent, but I try to remind them of our responsibility as hunters to help control the population and protect the habitat.

Well, my advice fell on deaf ears long enough, and now the WMA has gone to multiple doe-only hunts first, followed by just a few either-sex hunts that are now earn-a-buck. I called my regional representative before this was finalized, but I was one of the few who were paying attention and it was passed anyhow. My concern was that I would get drawn for the hunt and have the buck of a lifetime below my stand at first light before harvesting a doe, and then never see him again; or, I would kill a doe on the first morning and take all day getting it cleaned and out if the woods and on ice, and then basically lose half of my hunt, whereas I used to wait until the second day to do that.

Since this WMA now has eliminated the physical check in requirements (app/internet check in only) I am now hearing of several hunters saying that they plan to “check in” a doe at first light before even shooting one, and then staying in their stand to buck hunt. Or they will shoot a doe and let it lay while continuing to buck hunt. Neither is right for the game, the habitat, or hunters’ reputation

Needless to say, this whole thing stinks from several perspectives. I hear hunters complain about municipalities paying sharpshooters to thin deer herds, but when they have opportunity to do so they only want to trophy hunt and will not thin the does. I feel like we are our own worst enemies sometimes.

Am I off base on this?

Yes, only Saturday and Sunday. I petitioned for a three day hunt, but that was not granted.

That is another reason that I would typically (not always) wait until the second afternoon to shoot a doe, as I could work on it late getting it out, and maybe even burn some Comp time or leave Monday morning to get back up to speed

That situation is rough, I'm not sure I would bill it as a trophy hunting PR problem, though really frustrating.

I do see what you mean though about prioritizing bucks and almost encouraging bad behavior.

Do you think you could kill a doe, gut it immediately then hang it nearby until midday when things are slow?
Alternatively, quarter it and hang it. Took me 2hr 15 to pics -> boned out meat in a pack last year solo on a buck last year. I imagine you could break a doe down in under an hour, if you get after it... assuming it's not super hot and humid I can't see any probably letting the meat hang all day.

I'm not a fan of the WMA system across the southeast in general. Here you've got a spot that they say there's too many deer, but they hold limited drawings and only give you 2 days? Open it up for the whole season for anybody, antlerless only and your overpopulation problem is solved in short order.
You don't understand how brutal eastern open public lands can get do you? Yes you are right that population will drop drastically and it will only take two days due to an army of 10 hunters per square mile. It however just drives them to the private

I can quarter a doe out fairly quickly, but I like to hunt deep away from the crowd for solitude and safety. It would take me a good while to hike it out and get it on ice. The weather MAY be cool enough to let it hang, but more than likely it needs to be on ice fairly quickly due to heat and humidity possibilities.
Where I hunt is also very steep, so it may take two trips if it’s on my back in the thick, steep stuff.

Keep in mind, TN really only has deer hunts for fall quota hunting, since elk tags are VERY scarce, so there is no other type of hunting to spread the pressure on. This WMA is well under 5000 acres, and with 100 hunters on it it can get burned out pretty quickly.

Wisconsin had EAB regulations across a majority of the state for a number of years on both public and private land. Granted, we didn’t have a two day window to earn that buck, but for a large number of hunters, who really only hunt opening weekend of gun season, it is a two day season. The season also often becomes a two day season for many due to pressure. One hunter per 50 acres would seem like a ghost town in many areas.

EAB regs were very unpopular, but they were relatively were effective. And yes, to your point, many hunters, and people in general, are their own worst enemies. People want trophy bucks but aren’t willing to pass on the young ones to get them. It also seems that part of your problem stems from season structure - hopefully with enough complaints it will change. Good luck.

Last edited:
You don't understand how brutal eastern open public lands can get do you? Yes you are right that population will drop drastically and it will only take two days due to an army of 10 hunters per square mile. It however just drives them to the private

Seems to work on public land outside of the WMAs. Is the goal a balanced herd or a high caliber trophy hunt?

I can quarter a doe out fairly quickly, but I like to hunt deep away from the crowd for solitude and safety. It would take me a good while to hike it out and get it on ice. The weather MAY be cool enough to let it hang, but more than likely it needs to be on ice fairly quickly due to heat and humidity possibilities.
Where I hunt is also very steep, so it may take two trips if it’s on my back in the thick, steep stuff.

I've had good luck with citric acid for killing bacteria in more wet/warm/humid hunts. The key is definitely a spray bottle and just a mist. You don't want to actually get the meat wet.

If you can give it a mist and then right into your game bags you should be good. Treking poles are great for long packouts with heavy packs. Took 36+ hours to get my elk out last year a pretty similar time to get out 3 caribou on Adak... overnighting with meat. Takes some planning on the front end but it's not that difficult.

Here is CO I am currently looking at using my PPs next year for deer (probably/maybe). This will be a 10 year wait for me. Now don't get me wrong, I get to hunt deer every year as I can draw 2nd choices or get leftovers. The difference is location vs season vs doe/buck. This hunt will be a 2-3 day controlled hunt (they even take you around in a GOV- no choice) that is for "population control" but I am not ashamed that I WILL be holding out for a MATURE buck. There will be no forky or spindly 3 year old on the menu before the last minute of the last day. At my age I will get maybe (if I am lucky) 2 more chances like this. As all of our deer hunting (except for a very few pop control areas east of I25) are draw only it becomes a "game"......I don't really like it but I have to play it.

Sounds like a real conundrum. Never liked the sound of the "earn a buck" system for the reasons outlined.

Seems like it would make sense to just hold a separate draw for antlerless tags or an antlersless season.

Most of the WMA's around here just run 4 months of either sex archery with about 2 weeks of either sex primitive weapon and 2 weeks of bucks only rifle thrown in. No draw necessary. Most are larger acreage than what you are talking about though. The deer densities here are probably higher.

I am not a trophy hunter but we need more does killed down here simply for the health of the herd, IMO. The buck/doe ratio seems to be pretty out of whack on most of the public I hunt.I wish they would only issue 1 buck tag, 1 either sex tag, and 4 antlerless tags per license instead of 2 bucks, 1 either and 3 antlerless. Some type of antler restrictions would be helpful as well but I don't know what would ever be acceptable down here.

I think earn a buck tag with online check in is going to solve anything. Guys are going to do exactly as you described. The wildlife commission should have just increased the doe tag allocation and stopped there if they want some herd reduction. I don’t feel the antler restrictions work all that well personally either and I have seen it in affect here in PA for years. I know plenty of others will disagree with me on that though.
I think the season structure your WMA is establishing would possibly work better if it was spread over 2 weekends. One for doe only and a chance to “earn” your buck tag and then the 2nd to hunt buck only.
Since your not going to have that option I think your best bet is to do what others have already said and plan to quarter your doe and hang it and hope for cold weather while you continue to hunt. Maybe you can find some help packing it out so you minimize your hunting time losses.

I appreciate you making this thread. And it highlights the many unique ways different states manage their deer and how licensed are issued. If it helps for the overall discussion here, TN has bag limits per hunter instead of individual tags, but you can apply to specific quota hunts within the state. Do you think having a license system similar to other states would help statewide? I’m not wild about the idea personally but understand it if it makes for more effective statewide vs WMA management styles. The impact of too many deer on farmers is so real and yet another factor to fit into the bigger decisions being made.
I share the concern expressed throughout the responses about earn a buck and online reporting of antlerless deer in this situation.
Hope this helps with the overall discussion.

Skin, quarter, hang in the shade...you likely have days to get your doe on ice, even in hot temperatures.

This is weird, why not issue more doe tags? We used to have "earn a buck tag" here in Saskatchewan, but it was for a second buck I believe, not your first.

To your OP, you can't blame a guy for not wanting to waste 2-3 years worth of points on a doe. I wouldn't and I am by no means a trophy hunter.

This is weird, why not issue more doe tags? We used to have "earn a buck tag" here in Saskatchewan, but it was for a second buck I believe, not your first.

To your OP, you can't blame a guy for not wanting to waste 2-3 years worth of points on a doe. I wouldn't and I am by no means a trophy hunter.
I live in the western part of TN and you couldn’t issue more doe tags. I can shoot 3 does a day for a 2 month season, you cannot get guys to take advantage of it. There are still folks that hold to the old philosophy of shooting does is wrong because they grew up with no deer and there are some that only hunt for antlers.

Those weekend only hunts have also kept me from going through the wait to draw one. All those tags in a couple days is more traffic than I want to mess with. Generally if the weather cooperates I can take off during the week and hunt a regular wma with a fair chance at seeing a decent deer and not run into anyone.

I live in the western part of TN and you couldn’t issue more doe tags. I can shoot 3 does a day for a 2 month season, you cannot get guys to take advantage of it. There are still folks that hold to the old philosophy of shooting does is wrong because they grew up with no deer and there are some that only hunt for antlers.

Those weekend only hunts have also kept me from going through the wait to draw one. All those tags in a couple days is more traffic than I want to mess with. Generally if the weather cooperates I can take off during the week and hunt a regular wma with a fair chance at seeing a decent deer and not run into anyone.

This isn't really a trophy hunting issue then, more of a legacy problem. Personally, you give me doe tags, I fill them but I will also hunt hard to fill my either-sex tag on a buck. I think a lot of Eastern states and Provinces take bad approaches to managing wildlife and make it overly complicated for hunters. I also understand what you're saying about people not wanting to take advantage of those doe tags due to lack of current knowledge, where I'm originally from, hunters are somewhat narrow minded and maintain old/dated knowledge with regard to wildlife.

By your own words, you also prefer taking a "decent deer", which I would assume is a buck. Let's be honest here, wanting to shoot a buck over a doe is not trophy hunting, it's hunting, period. Bucks have more meat and are harder to hunt, which challenges us as hunters. Shooting a mature buck is the highlight of a hunter's season, you've hunted a monarch and have bested him. The antlers or trophy, will be a reminder of this hunt and animal you've taken for the rest of your life. Meat only lasts so long, memories fade, antlers, don't.

Back