Yeti GOBOX Collection

The Slippery Slope of Trophy Hunting

This isn't really a trophy hunting issue then, more of a legacy problem. Personally, you give me doe tags, I fill them but I will also hunt hard to fill my either-sex tag on a buck. I think a lot of Eastern states and Provinces take bad approaches to managing wildlife and make it overly complicated for hunters. I also understand what you're saying about people not wanting to take advantage of those doe tags due to lack of current knowledge, where I'm originally from, hunters are somewhat narrow minded and maintain old/dated knowledge with regard to wildlife.

By your own words, you also prefer taking a "decent deer", which I would assume is a buck. Let's be honest here, wanting to shoot a buck over a doe is not trophy hunting, it's hunting, period. Bucks have more meat and are harder to hunt, which challenges us as hunters. Shooting a mature buck is the highlight of a hunter's season, you've hunted a monarch and have bested him. The antlers or trophy, will be a reminder of this hunt and animal you've taken for the rest of your life. Meat only lasts so long, memories fade, antlers, don't.
I agree, a legacy problem is a good way to put it! I’m not sure the best way to get that education out there, but it definitely would help.

The “decent” deer comment was towards a buck, but was in reference to the OP’s post about the 2-3 year wait issue for that hunt. Make no mistake, I’m happy to shoot something that will be a trophy on the wall for years to come. I also have a freezer to fill and horns don’t eat that well 👍

I have opportunity to hunt does throughout a season elsewhere, and usually shoot between 5-8 each season. Now that my kids are old enough, they shoot a few and I shoot a few less. We eat a lot of venison, and provide some to other non hunting families. This WMA is just very unique.

For clarification, the WMA did increase doe tags first, but very few took advantage of the doe harvest opportunities. They even setup some late season doe only hunts that few people showed up to. This year they made two early doe only hunts with a limit of three, and these are before the buck hunts... talk about pressured deer! I agree that extending the hunt another day or two could have made a very big difference in doe harvest if things would have remained as they were.

I like shooting a buck just like the next guy, but that’s not the only or main reason that I hunt. The experience and meat are far more important to me.

In Colorado we have a variety of season/section limits for elk and deer, actually harder to get limited tag for deer than elk in many areas. The preference point game has folks like me with 19 elk points not wanting to waste them on an area with limited chance of collecting a nice bull. the good deal is that for many seasons OTC tags are available for bulls, and archery tags are good for the whole month of September. The tags in NM are harder to come by but the quality of potential bulls is much higher on average than Colorado.

We had a similar issue in SC on a section of the Santee NWR that hadn’t been hunted in 40+ years. Deer were eating crops planted for wintering waterfowl, so they had a hunt. First was antlerless only and no one showed up. Second was shoot two does then your buck. Only a few of us followed the rules. I killed my two does First morning and a nice 3.5 yo 8 point that evening. A lot of citations were written and a couple of guys had their trophies confiscated and got hefty fines for shooting the buck before the does.
It changed to t a youth hunt the following year. The kids could shoot whatever they wanted. Both my sons shot deer there.
It’s hard to get guys to shoot does when they’re seeing bucks.

I'm hunting with 5 or 6 different new or first-time hunters this year. They are all of the mindset of filling the freezer, doe or buck. I think I'm more excited for their hunts where we are trying to fill tags as opposed to some I have planned for myself, looking for a big one.

There is definitely skill in finding big, mature animals. Unfortunately, that is the main one the commercial hunting world focuses on. If we put more emphasis on other skills like close stalks, alternative weapons, wild game preparation, etc., I think the focus on trophies will shift.....somewhat. Let's face it, big bucks and bulls and awesome!

Shows like Randy's and Meateater are helping to shift the focus from trophy animals to trophy experiences and trophy meals. Let's hope the trend catches on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back