Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

The "Silence" Sitka film

Irrelevant

Anyone watch this yet?

All I can say is "No thanks." I understand the idea of becoming obsessed and that to a certain degree is likely required to be the absolute best ____. But jeez, talk about missing out on the big picture, forgetting the forest for the trees, and sucking the fun completely out of it.

Would be interesting to know how much of that crap actually matters, seems like a huge portion of it is just BS and being a control freak.

People are paying large sums of money to kill big deer, he's showing them how, apparently he has it down to a science. That being said.....you've got to enjoy the journey, I don't care how big the animal is, making it seem like work takes all the fun out of it. If I did that with my son back in the day he would of been like hell no dad I'm not going out with you anymore, this sucks! hahaha

Just depends on your level of commitment. I've found that the most successful hunters sweat the small details and they get "lucky" an awful lot more than the guys that half-ass it.

I can see where this type of attention to detail and level of commitment is not for everyone. I appreciate people that commit to things at the highest of levels.

People are paying large sums of money to kill big deer, he's showing them how, apparently he has it down to a science. That being said.....you've got to enjoy the journey, I don't care how big the animal is, making it seem like work takes all the fun out of it. If I did that with my son back in the day he would of been like hell no dad I'm not going out with you anymore, this sucks! hahaha
I think you've made an important point.

He's a whitetail bowhunting guide of 33 years showing high paying ($4500/week) clients how he likes/needs things done to be successful. Over the top? Sure. Though I'd rather have a guy like this acting all kinds of crazy than hunt with an outfitter/guide that just dumps you off at any old treestand and doesn't seem to care whether you're successful or not. Also if you are hunting with a guy like this at least you know that the clients there the week before weren't out talking on cellphones, smoking cigarettes, and pooping out of the stand you are now sitting in.

Just depends on your level of commitment. I've found that the most successful hunters sweat the small details and they get "lucky" an awful lot more than the guys that half-ass it.

I can see where this type of attention to detail and level of commitment is not for everyone. I appreciate people that commit to things at the highest of levels.

That's a good point... I bet this guy would get along great with Alex Honnold.

You don't have to have his level to attention of detail to kill big bucks, but if you want to kill a big bucks every single time...

Agree w/Buzz. It may not be my cup of tea, but the guy's intensity is common among people who strive to be the best in their chosen field, and I can appreciate the heck out of that. Went into the video expecting to not like it, but it's pretty cool.

Agree w/Buzz. It may not be my cup of tea, but the guy's intensity is common among people who strive to be the best in their chosen field, and I can appreciate the heck out of that. Went into the video expecting to not like it, but it's pretty cool.
I would like to watch it and employ some of his tactics on my own hunting excursions. @Randy11 could probably use some of this dudes tactics on his quest for a mountain giant.

I’ve always admired people who are psychotically dedicated to their craft. My ADD addled ways could learn from that sort of discipline.

I would like to watch it and employ some of his tactics on my own hunting excursions. @Randy11 could probably use some of this dudes tactics on his quest for a mountain giant.

Yep, looks like interesting stuff, I look forward to watching it later. Certainly more interesting to me than hearing about yet another urbanite's feelings about becoming a hunter. The last couple years there's been a big movement in hunting media that is shunning trophy hunters and people that have been there and done that, in order to make room for newcomers. It's getting old, glad to see Sitka offering another option.

I've also got to laugh at Buzz's lucky comment. This week I've heard two of the best hunter's I know referred to as "lucky" on separate occasions. What a laugher.

I guess that's one of the cool things about hunting. People can be in to it for so many different reasons.

I don't disagree with it from an _________ endeavor, be it sports, or climbing, or whatever. But I find it a bit disturbing from a hunting standpoint. Maybe I view hunting as less of an endeavor and more of a religion... I don't know. I guess it I can't see how Leopold or Ortega or Posewitz would support anything this guys is preaching.

My dad put some awful big whitetails on the wall by paying attention to every little detail like that. I agree with Buzz. I think the level of commitment needed to harvest mature animals year after year is pretty admirable myself.

I don't disagree with it from an _________ endeavor, be it sports, or climbing, or whatever. But I find it a bit disturbing from a hunting standpoint. Maybe I view hunting as less of an endeavor and more of a religion... I don't know. I guess it I can't see how Leopold or Ortega or Posewitz would support anything this guys is preaching.

Pos has a monster mule deer buck on his wall that he shot in SW MT in the 60's. It's among a ton of other "trophy" animals. Of course, he drew 380-20 and wanted to shoot a cow.

Point is, it's complicated.

I thought it was well done. Many times the guys that consistently harvest old mature animals in the toughest conditions are very meticulous about their process. I’d say props to him for hunting the way he does. It’s not for everyone, but I’d bet it’s effective.

I don't think I would work well with this guys program, that's just me, I respect his attention to detail. Maybe I need to change my ways, haven't had an opportunity on a shooter buck in a few seasons.....

Back