A North Carolina Fox Squirrel Hunt

I saw several different color phases growing up too.

@RobertD I grew up in south GA as well, Colquitt county to be more specific. I see your for SW GA, if you don't mind me asking where at?
Wow, probably about 30 miles south of where you grew up. Sending you a PM

It is time I posted this again. For those years when you didn't pull an elk tag, and need something to do out West (and every other corner of the country).

SQUIRREL SLAM!

I remember this article. Great share. Doesn't get much cooler.

Did a bunch of fox squirrel hunting here in Texas along a pecan river bottom when I was young n loved it; family sold that part so don’t do it anymore. While I was stationed at Cherry Point I went deer hunting on a friend’s dairy farm by Harmony NC, never seen so many fox squirrels in my life!!!! Always wanted to go back just to hunt them but never did. Y’all keep it up….thems r good eats rt there!!!

I killed a big black and white fox squirrel in Louisiana about 30 years ago. I wish we would have had it mounted! No foxes here but the boys and I put in 5 miles chasing greys in Tn on Monday. Good times.

Great write up! Around 30 years ago there were few fox squirrels in my area (SE Oklahoma) now I would say they're 30-50% of the population. We also don't have much for color phases I've never seen one around here. Everyone I've ever killed looked like this guy I got in the pecan grove this morning.20230106_104752.jpg

My son has been asking for me to take him back out squirrel hunting. I really enjoy it, but my family is not too big on eating them. My luck in cooking them has been hit or miss, but if I could figure out how to consistently cook them in a way that everyone enjoyed then I would definitely hunt them a lot more

My son has been asking for me to take him back out squirrel hunting. I really enjoy it, but my family is not too big on eating them. My luck in cooking them has been hit or miss, but if I could figure out how to consistently cook them in a way that everyone enjoyed then I would definitely hunt them a lot more
I posted arecipe above somewhere that usually works pretty well with anyone, and it is easy because it is on the grill. But the meat is really mild and you can just pan fry them with a little bit of butter and olive oil, some onions and garlic and they are really awesome that way as well. Skin them like this guy -
Then chop them into 4 pieces with a cleaver or hatchet. Back in the day, I used to feed them to colleagues and fussy kids. Never had a kid that didn't love the things, especially because they ate them off like a drumstick on a chicken - with their hands.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back