The road back

krshunter

It's been probably a couple years since I've posted in hunt talk and at least a couple since I've hunted. Life has thrown numerous curve balls at me and my family, and I unfortunately gave up on the hunting, something that has been a part of my life since I can remember. This year was not going to be any different. I owe a huge thanks to a very good friend of mine who knew where my heart really is this time of year and could see my joy in his success over the last couple of years. He convinced me that I needed to get back out in the field and enjoy something I love and have had a passion for.

It was a last minute decision as I've been struggling with diabetes related issues and was put on a new insulin pump the day before opening. I was really nervous about how my body would handle a hunt not having any time to work with the new equipment and things stuck in my body, and getting insulin in a different format. A few challenges here and there but I managed. I borrowed a rifle and a little gear from him as I don't have much left and we stayed kind of close to home. Not much public hunting land around here so limited to a couple separate public sections in an area I am familiar with. We put 13.5 miles on our boots walking into and around two sections. Unfortunately we also ran into plenty of guys getting guided on the private and pushing into public and one even tried kicking us off BLM from his ATV. Didn't even know it was BLM, no maps or GPS, told us we were trespassing. Just assumed because it connected to his guides private he had free reign. His ATV tracks were all over the section. We'll see how the G&F and BLM handle him. ;)

Anyway, we got on quite a few deer over the two days. So much fun making a plan then putting a good stock on and getting close. One of my favorite parts of the hunt. We saw him at about 600 yds and closed the gap to shoot him at 78 yds. Field quartered him and got him all out in one trip. A lot of work for a guy that hasn't done it in a few years but happy to put meat on the table. We saw a couple of real nice bucks but just on the wrong side of the fence each time and I didn't think to try to get a pic through the spotting scope.

Still have a few days left to go out with my friend and feel very fortunate and blessed to have a friend who knows me well and wanted to spend time with me in the field. Regardless of the outcome it is an awesome privilege to be out there again, enjoying his company, the majestic wildlife we have and just being out in God's country away the daily stress. Started looking at this site again too and was motivated by many of the awesome stories, pictures of friends and family out enjoying one another and thankful that Randy still provides this site for us all. Good hunting to everyone this year.

Attachments

• IMG_3846 Post.jpg
    IMG_3846 Post.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_3848 Post.jpg
    IMG_3848 Post.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_3856 Post.jpg
    IMG_3856 Post.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_3875 Post.jpg
    IMG_3875 Post.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_3839 Post.jpg
    IMG_3839 Post.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 562
Welcome back and congrats on a nice buck! Now that you have gotten back in the saddle hopefully you'll be doing it again next year!

Awesome! Welcome back. As a fellow dibetic I can understand some of what you are going through. Take it one step at a time and you will be going full on in no time. Congrats on a nice buck!

Well done, and good luck with the medical issues. I know how seriously that can affect one's life.

Thanks for sharing this personal story. I'm sure I speak for many when I say how nice it is to see you are back in the field.

Best of luck with the health issues. May hunting be a form of therapy. Congrats to you.

Thanks all. This week was definitely a step in the right direction and I am already excited for the application process next spring. Was a tremendous therapy this week and much needed. Look forward to reading all of your stories this fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back