The purge

I don't do social media (unless Hunt Talk counts). I have friends that are liberal and more friends that are conservative. I don't hang with the hard left or hard right types as these are the exact people who spend their time in whatever echo chamber they want and try to convince themselves and whoever will listen that their opinion is about to become universal. Ugh...people like that are just draining to me.

I’d say it’s probably going to get worse. I seen hunting content get censored on FB quite often. One of Randy’s early wolf videos is age restricted on YouTube though I’m not sure why. More and more, people are able to censor others like never before.

I’d say it’s probably going to get worse. I seen hunting content get censored on FB quite often. One of Randy’s early wolf videos is age restricted on YouTube though I’m not sure why. More and more, people are able to censor others like never before.
yep I had to actually sign in to watch that one 😂

I heard a podcast where a commentator said that a subset of society has come to view politics as sport. Team loyalties, win at all costs, win now, there is only a winner and a loser no ties (sorry soccer fans ;) ) it is probably overstated, but I definitely see the parallels and don’t think they are good.
I don't think it's overstated. I have a BIL that yells at the news reports like he does a football game. :rolleyes:

I agree with everything Big Fin said. Privately owned companies are free to have whatever rules they see fit.
Even though Randy has been very lenient with a lot of us, he could ban us at any moment if we step over the line.
I've never been on any social media of any kind other than here and one other hunting forum.
So FB or Instagram or Twitter or any other social media company can do whatever they want and don't give a crap.

One thing this does highlight is a scary trend of people using social media as their news source, instead of the Associated Press. News articles can and will reflect inherent bias, but by and large there are sources like NPR, AP, etc. that are very good about factual reporting. How one interprets and applies facts is then up to the individual.

I agree with everything Big Fin said. Privately owned companies are free to have whatever rules they see fit.
Even though Randy has been very lenient with a lot of us, he could ban us at any moment if we step over the line.
I've never been on any social media of any kind other than here and one other hunting forum.
So FB or Instagram or Twitter or any other social media company can do whatever they want and don't give a crap.
I definitely agree with you in general, but in specific they are "having their cake and eating it to", as when they want to ban content they say, "this is my property and I can control the content as I see fit", but then when content is unlawful or otherwise objectionable the fall back on a legislative gift, Section 230 of the CDA, and say "we are just a common carrier of public discourse and we have no responsibility for the content hosted on our platform". I can live with either construct, but them trying to have it both ways is BS. Either you are a judgement free common carrier or you are a private property with full content oversite power (and the liabilities that come with such power).

This is why I hate chrony capitalism. We invoke things like private property, market risk, responsibility, etc, but then give special side deals to chosen beneficiaries insulating them from the downsides of these very concepts.

Social media can be blamed for a deluge of problems facing the world today. I think all platforms should be outlawed. People ultimately cause the problems but social media is the engine that drives them all in some fashion. I remember in college how cool Facebook was when it was first starting and I also remember talking with some friends within the first few years of its existence that how much it might change the world and not for the good. Smart drunk ass philosophical dudes we were! 🤣

I know outlawing is a very extreme position, but nobody can deny that the world would be a much better place with less division if social media platforms ceased to exist.

Social media can be blamed for a deluge of problems facing the world today. I think all platforms should be outlawed. People ultimately cause the problems but social media is the engine that drives them all in some fashion. I remember in college how cool Facebook was when it was first starting and I also remember talking with some friends within the first few years of its existence that how much it might change the world and not for the good. Smart drunk ass philosophical dudes we were! 🤣

I was just discussing with a friend how we may have all contributed to that.

10 years ago Facebook was a place to connect with friends and family. It reconnected countless old friends.

Today it's more of a news app and a platform to present your political persona/ agenda.

Particularly in light of Parler, there are two (related) concepts small companies who do business online should learn about and plan for:

- business continuity
- disaster recovery

My educated guess: the 24 hour warning Amazon gave them before disabling their account did not include provisions for exporting data after that time expired.
And don't forget the security of the information you post from external parties. Apparently, someone who knew what she was doing just walked in and downloaded all of the data.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7v...r-explains-how-she-did-it-and-what-comes-next

10 years ago Facebook was a place to connect with friends and family. It reconnected countless old friends.

Today it's more of a news app and a platform to present your political persona/ agenda
So true. I havent had a FB account in almost 10 years, but I remember saying to people that they were lame (jokingly) if they didn't have FB in college. I mean how were you supposed to know anything going on if u didn't have it. So I know I pushed some people into joining it. Who knew I'd regret it. Haha

Today it's more of a news app and a platform to present your political persona/ agenda.

I agree, we all contribute. Either knowingly or unknowingly.

When social media is where we go to get our "news" or our information upon which we form our view of reality, we are in big trouble. Social media is easily manipulated by outside actors. What we get to see on social media is mostly determined by algorithms with a desired outcome. Those desired outcomes are not to inform or educate, rather to get the longest engagement and highest monetization, both of which appeal to our darkest emotions.

This is not just limited to social media, such as FB. If you have a home page like Yahoo or others, or if you get a news aggregators on your smartphone, from say Google News, the same engagement-centric algorithms are serving you what is in the best interest of the platform, not necessarily what is helpful or desired by you.

When these algorithms allow for serving of the craziest of the conspiracies, the most confrontational, the most bizarre, and the most extreme snippets and package them as news, the majority of Americans accept those pieces as actual news. We've all been sent a link to articles from Huff Post or Breitbart or some other fringe operation. Most often, the people sharing those as the real story have no idea how far out in the weeds these usually are.

And the more folks consume those fringe sourced-stories, the more of that style of content they get served. It becomes a self-fulfilling endeavor, thanks to the algorithms.

I'm sure that most here on Hunt Talk are aware of how we are played by the media and their algorithms. I purposefully Google something on the other side of issues that I might see regularly popping up in my feeds. Not sure if that messes up the algorithm, or not, but I take pleasure in thinking I'm messing with them.

I now subscribe to my own sources and ignore served media or news. I select what I want and I ignore what FB and others try to spoon feed me. I spend about $80 per month on subscriptions to WSJ, NYT, Bozeman Daily Chronicle, and handful of independent news sources that cover topics that interest me. I view that monthly fee as an investment in not getting suckered and hopefully insurance against being stupid, given I have a propensity to create enough problems for myself without regurgitating something an algorithm serves me in heavy doses.

I spend about $80 per month on subscriptions to WSJ, NYT, Bozeman Daily Chronicle, and handful of independent news sources that cover topics that interest me.
Lots of good points in BF's post but this part caught my eye. Part of what we are getting is the result of expecting everything on the internet to be "free". Very few things in the world are "free". As someone once said - if you can't figure out what the product is, you are the product. Because folks would rather get "free" news from facebook rather than subscribing to high quality sources (I add The Economist to BF's list) then they get the news that makes facebook money, not the news that is necessarily credible or useful for them.

Nope - I’ve done deals with AWS - even if they kick a user off it is still the users data. The CEO of Parler even said their problem is not lack of their data, it is that their code was written to run on AWS. And, my assumption, they were too busy growing to have good disaster recovery plans. My experience is that that stuff comes with busy maturity.
I used to work for a company started by the guy that first conceived AWS ;) I've run infrastructure on it myself since 2012.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back