MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

The purge

Doublecluck

There are some great groups on Facebook. In fact the only reason I’m on Facebook anymore is because of a couple Montana related hunting groups as well as a invite only waterfowl group which posts make me project coffee thru my nose from laughing so hard a couple times a week. Outside that I just enjoy seeing pictures of old friends and what’s going on in their lives. More and more I try to avoid the political posts like the plaque.

So outside the obvious political parallels of current events (Not the subject of this thread), I saw this today and had to wonder what the future was of some of the hunting groups I enjoy? Where will this stop? Will it carry on to Instagram, YouTube and others? Net servers/providers, Etc? Seems like the trains a comin and only a matter of time till hunting speech is cancelled.

let’s keep this discussion specific to how big tech censoring could effect hunting related content. Save your x side politics for somewhere else.

Have we started down the slippery slope or am I being paranoid?

744BFB6D-91D8-4D9B-814A-3D10D96674C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hunting is not banned under fb curent community standards, but groups can be blocked by AI-bots or by objections by other people, either of which can mis-interpret content invovled in hunting. Whoever runs that group may want to check into it as may be easily reversed.

Last edited:
Maybe the golden era of social media along with all the related cat videos is ending. We will tell our grandchildren about those cherished times. Truth be told, I’m as guilty as the next guy wasting my time on that stuff. But the censorship and cultural power the tech companies hold is concerning

Did you observe that group being disabled yourself or someone shared the screenshot online? A google search shows lots of facebook groups related to hunting coyotes.

From a 20k foot perspective, there are a lot of things about big tech/social media that make me very uneasy. In fact, my two youngest daughters and I talked specifically to this topic last night. I’m not an advocate of censorship, but I also recognize they are private platforms. It’s a very tenuous balance for sure.

Did you observe that group being disabled yourself or someone shared the screenshot online? A google search shows lots of facebook groups related to hunting coyotes.

I am a member of a group that was disabled but the creator backed up his member list and recreated the group later (new name) with requests not to invite anyone you didn’t personally know. He is a member of multiple other groups including this one among others that have been recently shut down. He just posted a warning not to be surprised if the group got shut down and was exploring alternatives. No reason to not believe him considering what’s happened in the past.

I am a member of a group that was disabled but the creator backed up his member list and recreated the group later (new name) with requests not to invite anyone you didn’t personally know. He is a member of multiple other groups including this one among others that have been recently shut down. He just posted a warning not to be surprised if the group got shut down and was exploring alternatives. No reason to not believe him considering what’s happened in the past.
Yeah it's possible, but two groups could be disabled for unrelated reasons. I ask because if his answer ia yes, we can potentially ask follow up questions to try and understand why it was disabled.

The image quality is pretty poor and doesn't look like current Facebook interface, so I am suspicious but reserve judgement until we find out.

This is a fine line. Interesting to see how some are walking that line. I think it will be even more interesting to look back in five years to see how our society and capitalism fill the demand for alternatives.

As someone who owns a private platform, Hunt Talk, and makes everyone agree to a Terms of Service when signing up to use the platform, I can see why some tire of how their platforms might be used and they decide to take whatever actions they feel is necessary to keep to the Terms of Service. And, to do what they feel is the best use of their platforms.

Such are the rights afforded a property owner under the 5th Amendment. It is censorship, but not a violation of anyone's 1st Amendment.

I do think that our system of capitalism will find alternatives. There will be new platforms that replace the AWS. There will be alternatives to Twitter, FB, that are not reliant on the AWS platforms. There will be new app stores that will allow those alternatives that are currently being blocked by the Google and Apple app stores.

None of that will happen immediately. But, when we look at the fast growth of new platforms we never even imagined a year ago, it might happen a lot faster than I can imagine.

Congress will eventually intervene to a greater extent than they currently have with big tech. When one side controlled Congress, they did nothing to regulate big tech, as they felt they were using big tech as a competitive advantage in campaigns and messaging. Now some of those same people who feel that they have recently lost the competitive advantage they built with big tech platforms want to regulate big tech. And the group who previously thought big tech was being used as a tool against them have suddenly become silent on the reforms they sought from big tech when they thought it was to their disadvantage.

I could wake up tomorrow and find the plug has been pulled on Hunt Talk, my Amazon channel, my YouTube channel, my podcasts, and all my social media pages. It is a risk I take when I rely on big tech infrastructure for distribution of our content. I signed up for all of those platforms according to the Terms of Service, so I am at their mercy. For Hunt Talk, we are such a small grain of sand in the big pile of dirt, I don't lose any sleep that Rackspace or other infrastructure we use is going to terminate our service.

I do spend a lot of time making sure that we have options if our video channels or podcast channels get yanked due to the content being controversial to some. That is why I am always building my email lists. It is easier to communicate directly with our audience if I have their emails and can serve them each new piece of content.

All of this is changing very fast. It will be interesting to see where it ends up. There will be winners and losers along the way, with no real logic to why some win and some lose.

This is a fine line. Interesting to see how some are walking that line. I think it will be even more interesting to look back in five years to see how our society and capitalism fill the demand for alternatives.

As someone who owns a private platform, Hunt Talk, and makes everyone agree to a Terms of Service when signing up to use the platform, I can see why some tire of how their platforms might be used and they decide to take whatever actions they feel is necessary to keep to the Terms of Service. And, to do what they feel is the best use of their platforms.

Such are the rights afforded a property owner under the 5th Amendment. It is censorship, but not a violation of anyone's 1st Amendment.

I do think that our system of capitalism will find alternatives. There will be new platforms that replace the AWS. There will be alternatives to Twitter, FB, that are not reliant on the AWS platforms. There will be new app stores that will allow those alternatives that are currently being blocked by the Google and Apple app stores.

None of that will happen immediately. But, when we look at the fast growth of new platforms we never even imagined a year ago, it might happen a lot faster than I can imagine.

Congress will eventually intervene to a greater extent than they currently have with big tech. When one side controlled Congress, they did nothing to regulate big tech, as they felt they were using big tech as a competitive advantage in campaigns and messaging. Now some of those same people who feel that they have recently lost the competitive advantage they built with big tech platforms want to regulate big tech. And the group who previously thought big tech was being used as a tool against them have suddenly become silent on the reforms they sought from big tech when they thought it was to their disadvantage.

I could wake up tomorrow and find the plug has been pulled on Hunt Talk, my Amazon channel, my YouTube channel, my podcasts, and all my social media pages. It is a risk I take when I rely on big tech infrastructure for distribution of our content. I signed up for all of those platforms according to the Terms of Service, so I am at their mercy. For Hunt Talk, we are such a small grain of sand in the big pile of dirt, I don't lose any sleep that Rackspace or other infrastructure we use is going to terminated our service.

I do spend a lot of time making sure that we have options if our video channels or podcast channels get yanked due to the content being controversial to some. That is why I am always building my email lists. It is easier to communicate directly with our audience if I have their emails and can serve them each new piece of content.

All of this is changing very fast. It will be interesting to see where it ends up. There will be winners and losers along the way, with no real logic to why some win and some lose.
Particularly in light of Parler, there are two (related) concepts small companies who do business online should learn about and plan for:

- business continuity
- disaster recovery

My educated guess: the 24 hour warning Amazon gave them before disabling their account did not include provisions for exporting data after that time expired.

I could wake up tomorrow and find the plug has been pulled on Hunt Talk, my Amazon channel, my YouTube channel, my podcasts, and all my social media pages. It is a risk I take when I rely on big tech infrastructure for distribution of our content. I signed up for all of those platforms according to the Terms of Service, so I am at their mercy. For Hunt Talk, we are such a small grain of sand in the big pile of dirt, I don't lose any sleep that Rackspace or other infrastructure we use is going to terminated our service.

If someone with some power read the “cheese” forum, we’d get censored real quick. Some of the cheese people are willing to stomach is just disgusting.

What is Facebook?

I turned it off a year ago. I miss contact with some friends I made along the way in the outdoors that I DM with from time to time. Beyond that, I really don’t miss it.
Especially all the data mining going on there (yes, even away from there I know it is unavoidable but still).

This forum site is about the only media I have got rid of Fb 5 or 6 yrs ago just got tired of what seemed like drama to me and didnt miss a bit of sleep over not knowing what people I went to high school with in the 1980s had for dinner lol
censorship is not a good thing but as Big Fin said it doesnt trump ownership

Particularly in light of Parler, there are two (related) concepts small companies who do business online should learn about and plan for:

- business continuity
- disaster recovery

My educated guess: the 24 hour warning Amazon gave them before disabling their account did not include provisions for exporting data after that time expired.

Nope - I’ve done deals with AWS - even if they kick a user off it is still the users data. The CEO of Parler even said their problem is not lack of their data, it is that their code was written to run on AWS. And, my assumption, they were too busy growing to have good disaster recovery plans. My experience is that that stuff comes with busy maturity.

Glad I did as I have heard from friends who remain on it that it has turned into a killing field of friendships during the last 4 months.
I'm fed up with the tribalism, both sides thinking the other is devil incarnate and that they are indefinitely correct about every issue.

Everyone needs to get over themselves and listen more instead of worrying about their team "winning".

I'm fed up with the tribalism, both sides thinking the other is devil incarnate and that they are indefinitely correct about every issue.

Everyone needs to get over themselves and listen more instead of worrying about their team "winning".
I heard a podcast where a commentator said that a subset of society has come to view politics as sport. Team loyalties, win at all costs, win now, there is only a winner and a loser no ties (sorry soccer fans ;) ) it is probably overstated, but I definitely see the parallels and don’t think they are good.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back