Caribou Gear Tarp

The purge

Facebook went off the rails when the got ride of the .edu requirement. I think part of the reason this forum works is the fact that there are a lot of real life connections. Everyone certainly doesn't know everyone, but I'd guess 95% of the biggest contributors have met at least 1 other HTer in real life or in some way interacted with them outside the forum. Seems like that changes the dynamic.

The .edu requirement kept you in the circle of people you with whom you had a real world connection.

I'm on hunt talk, and use insta to look at and post corgi videos, that's it.

The IaaS model definitely has it's pitfalls, I'm glad I have my own server at work... it's also a headache.

One thing I've become increasing uncomfortable with is Politician social media accounts. I really think as a democracy we need to examine social media, speech, and positions of public trust.

IMHO I think top members of the executive branch should give up their social media when they take office. They can reassume them at the end of their terms.

GOVofCO
GOVofMT
POTUS

Should accounts exist but posts should be made by a staffer, similar guidelines as press sectaries. This 100% isn't directed at a specific person, I find it equally problematic for all parties and politicians. I think historically social media was handled by staffers because to be blunt boomers didn't understand how it worked, this has changed and will continue to change and I think it has dire consequences for all of us. I'm on the fence for Senators and Reps, I kinda feel like their position is a bit different.

I was on FB for a couple years & deleted my account a year ago.
I really don't need to know how stupid some folks are,family members particularly. I had to unfollow most folks I was friends with,or I thought I was....

HT is only forum I follow anymore.

I'm similar to BF in news sources,but many more. Dozens of podcasts.

I hate algorithims that the interweb produces and the crap it spews,for a buck. There I differ than most and would welcome some regulations,some should be censored or blocked.
Spewing BS is BS. Not free speech. 2+2 does not equal 5....................

I quit using FB regularly around 2012 and deleted it completely a couple years later. Not a day has gone by that I miss it. I had started to read some studies about how it was making people depressed and also rewiring our brains with the rise of how notifications interfaces with smartphones.

As someone on the outside looking in, I see a radical shift in the last 5-10 years in how people relate to one another, perceive themselves, consume news, and are influenced by advertisers. Social media is a plague, slightly offset by a few perks.

In regards to “liberal censoring”, my inclination is to advocate user exodus. I imagine a world 5 or so years from now in which there are rival giants to YouTube, FB, and Twitter where guns, hunting, and conservative news are celebrated and showcased. The demand is there, but innovation lags behind and a TON of people complain...yet still stick around and still use those platforms.

One downside to an exodus is the echo chambers become even more distinct, as we have even fewer intersections with differing views. This site is the only virtual common room I know of where people with widely differing views still have intelligent conversations with each other.

At least social media delivers an occasional gem.
After I got wrapped up in a political exchange on a fellow Hunttalker’s FB post he blessed me with this timely jewel.

“The only thing more grating than a MAGA hardcore person is a liberal who is so woke he can’t wait to tell you how awful you are.

At least social media delivers an occasional gem.
After I got wrapped up in a political exchange on a fellow Hunttalker’s FB post he blessed me with this timely jewel.

“The only thing more grating than a MAGA hardcore person is a liberal who is so woke he can’t wait to tell you how awful you are.
So wait, are you the hardcore MAGA or the so-woke liberal? 🤣🤣

I wish I could claim that quote was mine. If the man who pecked those immortal words onto his phone is willing to raise his hand on this thread I will gladly acknowledge his brilliance.

I read your brave essay Gerald, and winced at what I knew was coming.
Yeah, I heard about that from several angles with mixed reaction. 😄

The crazy thing about it was is that I have incredibly bad timing. I was actually remarking about my reaction to how pissed I was at President Trump for trashing VP Pence after all he had done for him and not completely aware of the scale of the Capitol demonstration and invasion. Of course it completely morphed to the violence @ that demonstration.
🤯🤯🤯😄😄😏

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back