The purge

I'm fed up with the tribalism, both sides thinking the other is devil incarnate and that they are indefinitely correct about every issue.

Everyone needs to get over themselves and listen more instead of worrying about their team "winning".
Winning isn't the only thing....it's everything. V. Lombardi

Was once called get-n-wordy and laughed, so here goes.

Am 48, been married 27 years i think? to the same woman I've dated since we were 14. Have 5 kids and 2 grandkids, a daughter-in-law and a son-in-law. Daughter and her husband just moved from Hawaii to California with their 2 little'in's. Two kids are in their last year of college, one is in his first and one in high school. I fought going from a flip phone to a smart phone for years, I like my ruts.

The learning curve of information with technology and how it's shared reminds me a lot of the medical field dealing with the L curve dealing with ethics, morals, cost, research and end of life care.

Heard Billy Goat Gates talking about technology and when the telephone started becoming more available way back when. It was an interesting perspective on how technology is a tool and how it's viewed or used, for good or bad. It is a very fluid ordeal. Imo there's been some massive problems as the technology advances have taken huge leaps in short periods of time with a complete lack of experience with the outcomes. There are lots of positive things about the vast information we are privy to presently. But the speed bumps, pitfalls and unforseen ramifications of them has yet to be fully seen or understood, but we are really able to visualize the full frontal ordeal that's not as pretty as advertised. Loved the term airbrushed lifestyles some portray, yet the dingy, dirty underbelly cellulite is hidden. It's almost like we enjoy or revel in living in an altered reality and it's clearly evident. Facts and reality are just to harsh. The mental health issues that the current generations are going to face seem to indicate some real problems are ahead and the red flags are waving wildy.

Am on fb for family, fb market place and for photography and birding information. Yep, am a closet birder. The amount of useful information fb has on bird locations, mainly waterfowl for me personally to photograph, is a wicked tool to finding wintering waterfowl in January in Minnesota. And unlike hunting and fishing spots, they are way, way to willing to share. No chance in heck I'd give up fishing or hunting spots that easily, even with close family and friends, and they do it gleefully and willingly. It's a tool not much different than a chainsaw or tractor. If you keep a very concious awareness of how easy the ch!t pits are to fall into, you learn easily and quickly to just filter out the garbage.

The amount of people using the parks, nwr's and wma's in and around the Mpls area is unreal. Have meet a lot of absolutely great, helpful people. The wife goes with once in a while and the last time we were out she took a picture of a young family where the mom was struggling to get a family picture with her husband and kids. My wife asked if they wanted her to take a picture so the mom could be in it with her family. The young gal was so grateful it was precious. My wife loves kids and it's tough for her to be so far away from our two grandkids, so she's hyper aware of family struggles for mom's. Have had so many people start conversations and go out of their way to help me, and have felt a real need to pay it forward when I'm out.

Point being, if all people focus on is the bad and how terrible everything is, that's what they'll see. Like the Goat Gates was eluding to, there's good and bad in everything. And he's a bit of a tool in his own unique, interesting way. Never liked him much, and still don't. But that perspective was useful to me. Tools don't build things, the people using them do. Personal responsibility within how a tool is used falls on the individual, not the tool. Very similar to the 2nd amendment debates. Didn't use fb much for a long time, but it's been very helpful getting into photography a year ago. Have bought two used cameras off fb market place in the last 12 months and both experiences were great. Bought one off a guy who took pictures for a big ten college football team, not the gophers, and he was very helpful. If it wasn't for fb I'd be struggling to find a platform that has the amount of information on equipment, locations and used equipment for sale all in one location. So for me, I don't mind fb, and I use to hate it, much like the idea of going to a smart phone from my comfortable flip phone. Would be absolutely lost without onx and Google maps now.

Sorry for the twisted, long winded, disjointed yarn, just a different perspective I guess.

I'm fed up with the tribalism, both sides thinking the other is devil incarnate and that they are indefinitely correct about every issue.

Everyone needs to get over themselves and listen more instead of worrying about their team "winning".
Couldn’t agree more NDGuy! There is such a gulf between the two parties at this time, it is difficult to see how ‘bridges’ will be built to allow common sense to cross. If the sake of the country is not considered, the consequences could be devastating ! Let’s hope there are still sound minds to rescue America, from either side.

Facebook and other tools of social media are being used as a tool to encourage a mostly left wing view and anyone that has joined that method of communication, have waived their rights to express themselves with an ideology that isn’t aligned with Zuckerberg and his political views. I have never wanted anything to do with a venue that would attract a bunch of 16 year old girls.

How Facebook or Twitter operates, certainly sounds like it is heavy handed and is stopping contradictory philosophies from being expressed. There must be other ways to accomplish the ability to express oneself outside of those restraints, but maybe they are too powerful.

I believe some people have misunderstood the first amendment and the right guaranteed by the Constitution, of free speech. It is interesting how so many believe that free speech allows anyone the right to say anything they want, about or to another person.

Censorship becomes defined as anything that impairs a person to say whatever they feel like saying regardless of the impact that it may have on another person. I have always considered free speech is allowing people to speak freely, without interference, as long as it is tempered with consideration or decorum.

There would be no reason to have moderation (or censorship) if people could stay civil. This site is moderated, or has censorship, according to the owner of the site, yet I don’t hear a bunch of people screaming about it. Other sites that don’t have moderation (24hourcampfire for example) have become a cesspool of uncontrolled free speech.

The second amendment provides the right to own or bear arms, but that right doesn’t allow us the freedom to assault other people with a firearm. Freedom of speech needs to be considered much the same way and educate the masses on how we can communicate and express ourselves without the verbal assaults that are seemingly overlooked for the sake of free speech.

I opened this post praying for a homemade recipe for Colon Blow only to find this hot mess. Sorely, in more ways than one...disappointed.

Have you met cabbage?

I suggest the following:

Slice 1 head of cabbage into small, thin strips

Add some mayo & stuff that makes coleslaw dressing.

Mix.

Eat.

Poop.

Also, a nice balsamic vinaigrette reduction on stove top cooked cabbage goes well with some sausages (preferably German). This too shall cleanse the bowels.

Also, Indian food. Cleans me out. Not sure why.

Gerald did great in that fb thread. The other guy, meh.

I deleted my twitter account after the election. Best thing I did in November.

If you haven't watched The Social Dilemma on Netflix it's worth a watch. Sure there are some elements of hyperbole, but certainly some things that make you wonder. I have since deleted all my social media accounts and haven't looked back.

Facebook will go the way of.myspace

Todays college and younger people consider it for old people.

To me the question isn't about trying to make FB or Twitter etc. do what's right or even expecting them to. The question is the average person's ability to see the wrong in it.

The thing that surprises me is not evil, but the ability and willingness to justify or accept it on a large scale.

It seems as though we grow further and further from objective truth.

But you can't legislate morality

It seems as though we grow further and further from objective truth.

But you can't legislate morality
What is truth?

Seems to me that a given factor in determining objective truth should be a recognition that our perception of truth is always going to be colored with whatever bias we allow into our lives.

There’s reality. There’s our perception of reality. There’s other people’s perception of reality.
Reality and our actions based upon our understanding of that reality are not always in completely harmony.

“The first umpire said: “There’s balls and there’s strikes, and I call them like they is.”
Umpire number two said: “No, there’s balls and there’s strikes, and I call ’em like I see ’em.”

But it’s umpire number three that I like. He said: “There’s balls and there’s strikes, but they ain’t nothin’ until I call them”.

For the record, I agree with umpire number 2.

What is truth?

Seems to me that a given factor in determining objective truth should be a recognition that our perception of truth is always going to be colored with whatever bias we allow into our lives.

There’s reality. There’s our perception of reality. There’s other people’s perception of reality.
Reality and our actions based upon our understanding of that reality are not always in completely harmony.

“The first umpire said: “There’s balls and there’s strikes, and I call them like they is.”
Umpire number two said: “No, there’s balls and there’s strikes, and I call ’em like I see ’em.”

But it’s umpire number three that I like. He said: “There’s balls and there’s strikes, but they ain’t nothin’ until I call them”.

For the record, I agree with umpire number 2.
Good example.

Problem is, we want truth the agree with us, instead of seeking to agree with truth.

I used to work for a company started by the guy that first conceived AWS ;) I've run infrastructure on it myself since 2012.
What is AWS?

I find Facebook useful for daily news in our rural neighborhood that may be important only to neighbors.
With the neighborhood facebook page lots of news that is too local for even the local newspaper.

What is AWS?

I find Facebook useful for daily news in our rural neighborhood that may be important only to neighbors.
With the neighborhood facebook page lots of news that is too local for even the local newspaper.
Amazon Web Services. It's the (almost completely) virtual infrastructure that many tech companies use to host their websites, etc. Netflix is actually their highest paying customer.

I believe social media to be the greatest tool ever invented to create and control the thought process of the ant farm! That being said, YouTube and Google the worst of the worst. I only go to YouTube to watch Randy Newberg and Meateater. I wish they would move to Rumble

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back