Caribou Gear

The boys first elk

It’s been a slow frustrating season for me. Bow season was unremarkable except the dry and the heat. We were happy for a trailer and AC. I did not even have the pleasure of seeing an elk with my bow in my hand.
Fast forward to opening weekend. My son and I beat the weather in and got set up with my best friend and his possible son-in-law came up later that night. The wind was howling and the camper rocked most of the night from it.

attachment.php

We were hoping our luck would change and the boy’s would each get a cow elk, their first elk ever. We got out at first light and began the trek into where we figured we would find some elk. About ¾ of a mile in, we came across a group of cows on the top near the old BLM road. The boys got set up and eventually the cows walked away with no shots fired. Ty and I were both worried this would be a very long day and pack out. We walked about another ½ mile and spotted a group of cows feeding down below a ridge line. A fast hike with the wind in our faces resulted in:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I stayed below the ridgeline and waited. I listened to Ty give them instructions and pick out a cow. 1, 2, 3………and I her a bang and a click. Had never had a big game rifle do that before. But fortunately the wind was blowing so hard they did not know where the shot was from. Riley calmly loaded in another cartridge and another bang and the second cow was down. Both from the same group and both boys were tagged out by 8:30.

Ty and I began to bone the cows out and sent the bows 1.3 miles back to the truck for the game cart. They were told specifically to stay on the ridge and it would connect with the old road and they would have an easy walk. Well they decided to hump the hills and learned a good lesson. Next time they will listen better and only use the GPS as a back up. We got both cows out and into the coolers by 3. The boys were exhausted. It was the easiest elk Ty and I had ever gotten out, lol.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Riley and his elk
attachment.php

attachment.php

Joe and I and his cow. Ben recognize the rifle?
attachment.php

My son assures me that the elk was more work than this the next weekend, all 450 bales, lol.

attachment.php

Nicely done. You could at least get a kicker and some wagons! LOL
I have picked more than my share off the field. It helps build character no doubt.

I've stacked more than my share of bales, packing an elk out sounds a lot better for sure. Congrats on a great hunt!

Great job for the boys. I can remember getting my first elk as a kid and if they feel like I did, they were on top of the world when it happened.

Well Played Gents....and speaking from experience, them dummy blocks (small square bales) do make you work hard!

Nicely done ... all around. Meat in the freezer and good memories made.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back