Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

The Bob

LCH

This past July, spent some time backpacking in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area in NW Montana. We hiked to the Chinese Wall, a 12-18 mile long (depending on your interpretation of where it starts and ends) stretch of the Continental Divide that looks just like a wall. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and got back to the car on a Wednesday afternoon, covering about 45 miles in that time.

These pictures are all from my uncle's camera, I may have a few decent ones to add as soon as I find my camera cable.

At the wall..

Dang LCH. On a morning where it is in the single digits outside and I'm on my way to a cubicle those pictures are fantastic. Looks like a great trip in some beautiful country. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome, looks like you caught one of the few windows of blue skies we had this summer.

I've lived my entire life within 100 miles of there, and have never made the time. I need to.

Righteous LCH! Merry Christmas. Was this a scouting trip as well? Thanks for sharing!

Not really, most of the time we were in the Sun River Game Range, which I do not think is open to hunting. We saw a few muleys, whitetails, and a couple cow elk. According to some people on the trail, just missed a big grizzly - which was OK with me, 1Pointer and I got to see some pretty up close and personal just a couple months prior.

Awesome, looks like you caught one of the few windows of blue skies we had this summer.

I've lived my entire life within 100 miles of there, and have never made the time. I need to.

Yep, it was great weather. Dry as all get out though. Luckily no fires to contend with.

Great pics!!! Looks like a sweet trip. Well done.

Glad to hear you didn't have any more grizzer bear encouters. One a year is probably enough... ;)

Truly awesome!
Great pics - thanks for sharing.
Definitely going to check out the wall one day....

Not really, most of the time we were in the Sun River Game Range, which I do not think is open to hunting. We saw a few muleys, whitetails, and a couple cow elk. According to some people on the trail, just missed a big grizzly - which was OK with me, 1Pointer and I got to see some pretty up close and personal just a couple months prior.

That part of the Bob is the Sun River Game Preserve. No hunting is allowed in the Preserve. The Sun River Game Range is east of Sawtooth Mountain just outside of Augusta. Permit hunting for Elk is allowed on the Game Range and Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Black Bear and Wolf is open to OTC tags.
The Bob is a treasure that not everyone can experience but those that do should consider themselves extremely lucky.
Dan

Been in there several times back in the late 80's. Brother ran into a Grizz on the trail and then a wolverine, that actually charged him. He wasn't sure if he should spray it or kick it when it got so close. But then it just stopped charging, grunted a few times and turned around and trotted off.
We have bow hunted it and then during the day fished. It is AWESOME country!
Thanks for sharing.
John

That part of the Bob is the Sun River Game Preserve. No hunting is allowed in the Preserve. The Sun River Game Range is east of Sawtooth Mountain just outside of Augusta. Permit hunting for Elk is allowed on the Game Range and Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Black Bear and Wolf is open to OTC tags.
The Bob is a treasure that not everyone can experience but those that do should consider themselves extremely lucky.
Dan

Thanks Dan. We came in from Augusta and parked at Benchmark, wasn't sure of the difference between the game range / game preserve.

Great pics!!! Looks like a sweet trip. Well done.

Glad to hear you didn't have any more grizzer bear encouters. One a year is probably enough... ;)

Still didn't see a single black bear. Crazy I've spent 3 weeks now hunting/hiking in NW MT and only seen one. Everybody else seems to be tripping over them like they're everywhere :)

Thanks for sharing your adventure! Awesome pictures! It's on my bucket list also!

The summer after retirement, I volunteered with the Bob Marshall Foundation and spent a week working on that very same trail. Although did not hike the Chinese, I climbed up to Prairie Reef Lookout and took panoramic photos of the entire length of the Wall.

South Fork of the Sun River is a beautiful and magical wilderness valley, with awesome water, wildlife, and remote peacefulness.

Still didn't see a single black bear. Crazy I've spent 3 weeks now hunting/hiking in NW MT and only seen one. Everybody else seems to be tripping over them like they're everywhere :)
I have a feeling they are becoming my "unicorn" now that I have the bull elk monkey off my back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back