Caribou Gear

That time again - Wyoming

This is the month you have to put in for non-resident Elk tags? I know the Muley & Speedgoat are by mid March.

You have until the end of this month to apply for NR Elk Tags. The drawing is the end of February.

Ive looked at the non resident booklet for 2011 but do they have the actual regulations out for 2011? To me, it looks like the regulations they have posted are still from last year. Can anyone help out on this?
Warmer- In Wyoming, there are a few units that are archery only. There arent a whole lot of them but the ones that are, are a type 9 tag. Then in almost every other unit, if you draw an elk tag, you can hunt an archery season in September and if you dont fill your tag, you can go back and also hunt during the regular rifle season. On the Wyoming site, click on hunting, and then regulations. Then you can click on the elk link and it will give you specific season information for each unit, including archery season info. But like I mentioned earlier, to me it looks like that is all info for 2010. Anybody know for sure?

So...

I need to apply for a specific unit, draw a tag and then hunt archery. I can return and hunt the same unit with a rifle if I fail with a bow? Sounds to good to be true. So there is no such thing as Over-the-counter archery elk tags?

Last edited:
OK, after spending 20 minutes reading I still have not figured this out. If I, a non-resident, want to hunt elk with a bow in Wyoming, do I have to apply for a specific unit or can I buy a bull tag OTC and hunt anywhere?

The information you need is in TWO places.

The NR draw booklet lists the hunt units, hunt type, and bag limit.

The "regulations" will be printed later and list the tag allotments AS WELL as those units that CAN be hunted with a "special archery license" when the hunter has drawn a type 1 tag.

To find last years regulations, that will be very close to this year:

hunting home page
down at the btm, "Commission Regulations"
Chapter 7 "Elk hunting seasons"
page 13

Warmer, yes, that's how it works for "most" but not all units and type 1 draw tags.
No OTC tags

Wapiti bob, you kind of answered my question about the regs. Thanks for that.
Why doesn't WY publish the regs too so that you know how many tags are available and also so that you know the exact season dates? Is WY the only state that does this?

vdo84---The Regs can be found online on the G&F website and they won't change much from what is showing for last year. The number of tags isn't available until they print the individual animal pamphlets later in the Spring or early Summer.The way to figure out pretty close for that information is to go into the different draw odds for last year. The season dates shouldn't change much, if at all, from last season. If you have questions on that any of us that have last years pamphlets can help you with that. I also bought a CD ROM a number of years ago from the G&F that is no longer sold and it is for the entire state and looks just like all the individual BLM maps you buy for specific areas. It was $50 and has saved me a ton of money because it also has all the game unit boundaries you can click on for the individual species. A few boundaries have changed, but it's close and I can make maps with it for coordinates at any spot in the entire state. If anybody needs any help with anything like that they can email me at: [email protected] I was making maps for people at no charge, but the friggin ink goes fast when making maps and is getting very expensive so I really have to limit it.

If you use this link you can get a similar map to print. This one is a google earth of wyoming with all public land shown by type, blm, USFS, etc. On top of that you pick the species and it overlays the game unit boundaries on the google earth and still shows the public land. You can zoom in and out to get detailed looks at the area as well as when you click on a game unit the % of public land is shown along with previous hunters success $. It takes a few minutes to figure it out but I wish I had this years ago. Thanks to whoever came up with it.

http://sunlight.wygisc.uwyo.edu/huntareaV1/#app=8a30&34a0-selectedIndex=1

I read it 100 times, but I'd like someone to confirm to make sure I don't screw things up. I can buy a point for elk, deer, and antelope, but I don't have to do so until this summer. Correct?

I read it 100 times, but I'd like someone to confirm to make sure I don't screw things up. I can buy a point for elk, deer, and antelope, but I don't have to do so until this summer. Correct?

You should belivee what you read in the regs 100x more than any info over the internet.

Yes you can skip the application period and instead buy a point only between July 1st and Sept. 30.

Wyoming claims that tomorrow is the big day for non-resident elk draw results to be posted on their website.

Here is the link:

Wyoming Draw Results

Supposedly by 8AM they will have the results on-line.

We will see how many people had the same strategy I had. I feel LUCKY! :D:D:D

If you have not yet completed your Wyoming deer and antelope applications, you have about two hours to do so.

Same with Montana non-resident general deer and elk apps.

Good luck.

If you have not yet completed your Wyoming deer and antelope applications, you have about two hours to do so.

Good luck.

Was going to do points only for deer and antelope, but just threw an antelope app in at the last minute. Zero points, regular draw, one of the more popular units in the state. Odds are slightly better than MT Breaks sheep, but I figured, why not gamble? :D

Was going to do points only for deer and antelope, but just threw an antelope app in at the last minute. Zero points, regular draw, one of the more popular units in the state. Odds are slightly better than MT Breaks sheep, but I figured, why not gamble? :D

You might be like the dude that got sheep tags in 3 states...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back