Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

thanksgiving elk

The Hedgehog

Somebody was a crappy shot with a bow, but somebody else was a sniper with the rifle.. 600 yards, lights out.

MikeHunt19.jpg

MikeHunt20.jpg

Congrats to you guys.

Where was that broadhead lodged? Must no have impaired the elk too much.

Killed and took care of an elk, and back at the house by ten to post pictures?
That's my kind of hunt.

Killed and took care of an elk, and back at the house by ten to post pictures?
That's my kind of hunt.

I'm skeptical. I'm guessing Lely killed that bull yesterday. Nice job!

Seems to be lots of broadheads showing up in rifle-killed elk lately.

Seems to be lots of broadheads showing up in rifle-killed elk lately.

I've been told that those style of broadheads can penetrate an elk shoulder. Someone wouldn't be giving me a line of bull, would they? :confused:

That broadhead was in a backstrap, maybe for years. The bull was really old and probably on the downhill side of life. Tenderloins were almost unedible, toughest piece of meat I've tried in years, a lot to grind for him, since his NM elk was also tough as leather. Fun day though.

More shots from the morning, clearly the bull was taken on a ranch.
MikeHunt2.jpg

MikeHunt4.jpg

MikeHunt6.jpg

MikeHunt10.jpg

MikeHunt8.jpg

Nice job! I'd rather be shooting elk today than sitting here. Oh well, at least we can hope the Cowboys kick some Raider butt this afternoon.

Cool looking old bull and nice photos. With the busted up antlers it looks like he was a fighter to the end.

Nice job Lely! I'm sure he was glad Schmalts was around to help with the pack out too. Looks like good times. Hopefully Schmalts finds something retarded so he can get one too. :)

I am home now. first time in 6 years I had thanksgiving in my own home. Yea, i copped out and left early instead of Saturday. Fin thought I was kidding earlier when I said I was pretty bad off with a broken rib and fractured Sternum. I really had no intention of Elk hunting and was going to try and stick to just deer for 5 days and get a buck better than anything I have got in MT before. Well, once I got out there and after a full day I was not having too much fun and just not in the right frame of mind from very constant reminders that I was hurt. So, the first "good" 4 point I saw I made a fast judgment and decided I did not want to do it 4 more days and dumped it. Truth is, I only snapped 2 pictures of it laying there and went to getting it out. I had to carry my pack 100 yards to a fallen tree just to set it on there so I could get it on my back for the 3 mile pack. Once on, it was not much pain at all. Hell I even packed out probably 50-60 pounds of meat on "sniper" Mikes bull once Kurt helped me get my pack on. That was an awesome shot for sure. I located the first bull, and it was bigger but busted up real bad(7X3). Mike located this one 5 minutes later and decided it was good enough for him this late in the game. I watched through the spotter as Kurt and Mike dropped down to gain some yardage. I didn't know how far they went and it took about 5 minutes but suddenly a shot rang out and I watched the bull crumble, roll, then go for a slide for maybe 80 yards?? not sure because it slid out of sight. Then all I heard was Kurt laughing like a school girl down the hill. They only went down maybe 100 yards because it was so steep they could not get much yardage back. Good thing that tree stopped the bull or it would have been in a creek 500 feet lower. I was boning out a rear quarter and one boned out chunk took off on me and I had to go about 80 yards just to retrieve it! It was a lot of fun hunting with those guys, and the 4th year with Kurt I think? But this year I just could not do it solo, as I would not be able to do anything with something so big by myself and Kurt could not tag along with Kid commitments, So... I went home with a deer and some good memories and spent a thanksgiving dinner with family for a change.
Kurt has to post the picture I took of those two after we were done with the chore... His new hat is not so new anymore:D

Six hundred is a long poke...especially on an elk. Great job especially with mtn winds, slopes etc.

A steep pack out by the looks of it.

Did the broadhead leave a scar on the hide or had it grown over it?

Pat, I was sorry to hear about your crash. It happens to everyone, but right in the middle of hunting season? Man, that's bad luck .

Hope you heal up soon.

Fun times for sure. Glad I had these 2 guys to help pack this out. I kind of feel bad that Shmalts wasn't the one pulling the trigger, but after hiking around for many days with a rifle, itchy trigger finger syndrome really starts to set in.
The elk appeared to be completely healed from the arrow. We didn't see any scar on the hide. It appeared that the broadhead had been there for a while, as a bunch of white tendon like tissue had encapsulated the broadhead completely. It probably didn't even aggravate him anymore.

Last edited:
Congrats on a great looking bull!! I just sat in my sweats and ate too much, so it sounds like you had much more fun.

I wondered were I had hit him for sure;) That's a great bull and sounds like one heck of a shot. Good hunting spot but a steep mutha for sure.

delete........found out what a five-head was

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back