Caribou Gear

thanksgiving elk

Fun times for sure. Glad I had these 2 guys to help pack this out. I kind of feel bad that Shmalts wasn't the one pulling the trigger, but after hiking around for many days with a rifle, itchy trigger finger syndrome really starts to set in.
The elk appeared to be completely healed from the arrow. We didn't see any scar on the hide. It appeared that the broadhead had been there for a while, as a bunch of white tendon like tissue had encapsulated the broadhead completely. It probably didn't even aggravate him anymore.

If you wouldnt have shot him I would have, but trust me when I say it was just as fun for me to be along for the whole thing and see it all go down in the spotting scope. My only regret is not having my camcorder to try and digicam the shot, that was way cool. I didn't work hard enough for an elk out there anyway:D

Schmalts, glad you were able to have some fun even though you were busted up. Big buck or not, let's see the pics!

Schmalts, glad you were able to have some fun even though you were busted up. Big buck or not, let's see the pics!

I really did not take the time to put up my tripod and take a pic of myself with it, all i did was snap a couple of it layin there. Here it is with my kid, he would be happy to get one like it. I need to finish up the boiling today, i got the bulk off at Kurts house
picture.php

Letting bulls grow to the point of going downhill...........fail!!!!!!!!!!!

...enough about schmalts. Nice elk & good thread info & pics.

Nice deer Pat...but you better stick to stationary cardio.

That's not a bad buck at all for a frustrated-just want to get out of here situation.
Sounds like a fun week up here, especially considering how busted up you were.

There were a few times I had to hold my chest while laughing and wiped the tears from the pain when done.. usually involved beers but this one was on the hill. Kurt is trying to get the front inner loins out of the elk and asks me to take his hat off before it gets bloody because he just got it a few days ago. I looked at him and said, " don't worry, too late"
Here is the Blue Steel couple in quartering action
picture.php

Schmalts,

Great pose.

Very "Derelicte"....

You don't even have to brainwash Mike to shoot the Malaysian Prime Minister (or whoever he was). Just put a busted up set of elk antlers on him and he'll shoot him from 600 yards.

PS: GH, nice cap. I think 314 is in Iraq right now.

Looks like fun. Congrats on the buck Pat. Maybe next year you'll remember to use the safe word and won't get all busted up before a hunt. ;)

I picked up that hat at Mirimar on a work trip recently.. from a pilot. Now it's bloody. :( :) :D

Do you guys ever age any of these bulls?
As big as they get and as far back as you hunt, I'd be curious to know what some of the older ones were.

They say that if a bull reaches 5 1/2 years of age, he has better odds of dieing of old age than by a hunters bullet. Congrats on the bull and and a great season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back