Yeti GOBOX Collection

Texas Feral Pigs....quick read

As someone who lives and hunts right in the middle of Feral Hog Central, I think that this article is a bit of an exaggeration. The feral hog population seems to have leveled off for the most part, and is actually dropping in some areas. One of the state WMA's that I frequently hunt here on the Texas coast had it's lowest number of hogs harvested in many years this season. They are still numerous and they still do lots of damage, but folks will pay to hunt them year around. That makes them a dependable source of income for hunting ranches, so they tolerate them.

It kinda reminds me of the killer bee invasion in the 70's and 80's.

I gotta disagree with you Greyman, we have been overrun with them in the last two years. We have very little area that hasn't been rooted up and destroyed by them. Prior to a couple of years ago, the rootings were here and there, but now any open area has been hit including roads. They have also hit the areas that are overgrown with brush where you would think they couldn't get in to but they do. Just like the article says if you hunt them during the day you will get a couple and then they change their routine. Same with trapping. For reference we are in south central about half way between Houston & San Antonio

We are getting more and more in Oklahoma as well. Growing up in Arkansas, I’ve seen this for about 30 years progressing. I agree they have expanded their range but the article exceeds what I have witnessed in the field.

....per hog/you sure?

Yes. I did a lot of research before I eventually had a friend invite us down this spring ( which was way better anyway ). The average place was around $450 for 2 nights hunting with a limit of 2 hogs. Most of the "unlimited" places had a required "processing" (no, they were not packaging your meat) fee of either $50+ flat fee per hog or $1/pound on top of the base rate.

I'm sure there are better deals, but my point is many of these places aren't trying to offset the hog damage, but rather profit off them, and it would be against their interest to really put a hurt on the hog population.

....per hog/you sure?
Yea, several hundred bucks is about par for the course. Unless you know someone, there is no free hunting hogs on private land in Texas. There are a few places where you can hunt public for them, and a few of them are pretty durn good!

Typical rancher farmer BS, it's only a pest if you can't make any money off of it, after that you're an outfitter.

I'll jump in the truck and head south in 30 minutes notice for a free "save the farmer" hog hunt. Fact.

So you think landowners with a problem should just let strangers in on their place for free with guns to chase pigs around? How about trying to offset that damage by charging for hunting to put that money into field rehab after it is rooted to China.
Trapping , and some aerial hunting , is about the only way to try and control a population. Hunters merely spook hogs and change their routine so they are harder to pattern for the next guys.
It's not free to own land and farm or ranch it .
Hogs are not on the decline on our family place, they just keep exploding the population. And yes they charge for hog hunting. You get stands to hunt if wanted and a walk in cooler for hanging, no limits on hogs. A nice house to stay in also, 2 to choose from if you think lodging should not be free, or a bunk room to share.
Flame away, I'm ready.

Wytex,

Inciteful post. I cannot imagine the dollars those pigs cause. Get the dollars back, but realize the hunters are the solution and do not price yourself out of the solution. Slippery slope.

Wytex,

Inciteful post. I cannot imagine the dollars those pigs cause. Get the dollars back, but realize the hunters are the solution and do not price yourself out of the solution. Slippery slope.

That's the thing. Hunters are not the solution. They might change their behavior patterns as a result of hunting, but is not going to really affect the hog population long term. Even trapping and aerial gunning are only temporary solutions. Lots of studies have been done and hunting is one of the least effective methods of controlling the population.

That's the thing. Hunters are not the solution. They might change their behavior patterns as a result of hunting, but is not going to really affect the hog population long term. Even trapping and aerial gunning are only temporary solutions. Lots of studies have been done and hunting is one of the least effective methods of controlling the population.

Been hunting / shooting hogs here since i was about 12 - bread and butter species for us. I can tell you from experience here in Australia, this is 100% on the money. One of my buddies is a contract shooter for Govt. In a 12 month period, with scheduled shoots every 3 months, saw an average of 4000 hogs shot in a 5 day period - so over 16,000 hogs in the year. If anything his research showed the numbers were getting higher towards the end of the contract. More pigs just flowed into the void he had created. Aerial culling programs are expensive but very effective for numbers. If you pressure them with ground shooting, they simply move on to where there is less pressure. Hunters shouldn’t be dismissed as an option though, so a bit of a catch 22.
I don’t doubt the docment that they are losing the battle. They will out breed nearly all other critters and live from desert to the rainforest.

Wytex,

Price is not the issue, they charge a very reasonable fee to use the land and the stands . After running hunts for 4 months , hunters put about 50 hogs on the ground. Now they will start trapping after a few weeks rest period to get hundreds off of the place. The hunts are merely an opportunity to make a little back for the damage, they have knocked around the idea of not even selling hunts just trapping and family hunting.
There are many places that do put and take hogs just for the money , but also many that sell hunts for damage recoup. I agree many charge too much, but you have to realize their damage has monetary consequences for landowners. It's almost like rubbing salt in a wound when they root up a freshly planted field then some guys want to shoot them for free. Who pays for that field rehab, I think hog hunters should be willing to help out with that cost . Now a reasonable fee is what I support.
I also believe that some of the outfits selling hunts with limits and prices per lb do not have a real problem but are cashing in on the hog epidemic.
It can be a slippery slope for landowners and hunters. Charge too much as you get no hunters, just trap to control hogs more effectively and no hunters get access either free or paid.
Personally we enjoy having some hogs to hunt but they can get out of control fast. Trapping must be used in some areas to knock back the sounders doing specific damage, and hunters are not allowed in those areas.

And I apologize if it sounded " inciteful " but folks complaining about paying for access is a sore spot. Landowners have every right to charge for access to their land and as hunters we should respect that right and just move on to free access if you can find it. Sometimes paying for access now results in free access down the road, it has for me. I have also walked away from spots that want to charge, just no need to pay in some cases.
In a perfect world the hogs would be on public land for all to hunt, but we sure as heck don't want them up here where public access is enjoyed.

Wytex,

My vocabulary is not what I thought. I totally misused the word. I looked up the definition. Was totally wrong. I was appreciating your knowledge of the situation.

Color me stupid!

I am sorry and do apologize.

The word is was looking for was insightful. Sound the same, but I was an idiot.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back