Tents

I'd love to see all this stuff packed up. How much space does it take in your garage/shed/truck/trailer....?

I'd love to see all this stuff packed up. How much space does it take in your garage/shed/truck/trailer....?
The tent, tarps and angles fit in three totes. My wife made canvas bags for the poles, one for legs, one for sides/ridges, one for roof poles. The awning poles have their own bags so we don’t have to take them in the summer when we camp. I use 3 rolls of light indoor/outdoor carpet inside the tent and those roll up pretty small. The poles and carpet are stored in the rafters of the garage. The totes stack in the corner of the shed. They all really don’t take up much room.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCH
I have a Yakima Tent and Awning 14x16 for almost 20 years with no issues. Built my frame using kwik kamp angles and top rail. Bought Kwik Kamp wood stove and have been happy ever since everything cost less $1000 at that time. Davis has great value-Kwik Kamp has packages and good canvas. The one tent that I really liked but didn't go with was a Canvas Cabin-the camp across the road from us every year has one and it is a great product. I really like the outside frame and awning. The one thing for us is that usually during archery season we have fire restrictions I can only thing of two times being able to run the stove late in September so I bring along a big buddy heater and a propane tank and it keeps it nice and warm-keep the tank outside and run the hose underneath the canvas. For a floor I used a tarp for year until a railroad worker gave me a piece of fabric they use (I don't know what it is ) but it is quiet and waterproof. As far storage tent stays rolled up like a burrito-my ridge poles/eaves and sides are standing in a small corner of the garage and the floor is rolled up all in all takes up 4x6ft of space if less because I can stand it up in your pickup a little more but not much-my coolers seem to take up more. Also set up and take down is super easy-I can do it by myself faster or as fast as a two man pup tent.

Last edited:
Have you looked at, or does anybody have experience with, Oz Tents? I just came across them and am intrigued by the designs. Looks like they combine canvas with modern design and simple set-up.

I’m not going to load it all up for a photo, but I have a standard sized tote with the angles, the tent is roughly the size of a tote, and the stove is the size of a small tote. The frame pieces lay on the bottom of my truck bed.

Fair enough. I just envisioned it taking up approximately the entire bed of the truck, or enough of it that if you throw in the coolers, stove, cots, etc, you end up either not having room for an elk on the way out, or you need a trailer. Both of which defeat the purpose of a tent in my mind.

Ben, I have the 12x12 alagnak from Cabelas with awning and it is a great tent. Super easy set up for one person, with the floor and fly for stove use or propane this tent heats quickly. much lighter than canvas and is great in all types of weather. I have used canvas tents for 25 years haven't since I got the alagnak and it all rolls up (including poles) into a nice carrying bag for the truck. You can find these used on craigslist and other sites.

Following up on this:

I finally pulled the trigger and went with the 12x12 Alaknak w/ the vestibule & the camp chef wood stove. The stove is somewhat less than I desired, but weighing the cost and everything else I needed to get, it made the most sense. I'll post up some photos once it gets here. I went with the Alaknak because I hunt alone often for deer & birds, and having a smaller tent that 1 person can easily set up won me over. Smaller size was helpful too.

Hopefully I won't need to buy a tent for a long time. Definitely crying once over the purchase. THanks for everyone's advice and the generous offers through PM's. Looks like fall will be fairly comfortable inside and outside.

I look forward to hearing how it works for you. There is a new tent in my not too distant future. I'm not liking anything I see out there.

I look forward to hearing how it works for you. There is a new tent in my not too distant future. I'm not liking anything I see out there.

So far so good. I've managed to set it up by myself and get the stove burned in. I bought the Camp Chef Alpine stove and while doing the initial burn, I noticed it was drafting like crazy & would be a problem in camp, so added a 3/8's inch gasket around the door. Fired it again to cure the cement & got a much better & easily controlled burn.

Set up was really straightforward, and took about an hour for the first time, moving slowly & being deliberate. I can see getting it down to 40 minutes for 1 person to set up just the tent, 90 minutes to 2 hours to set up the whole camp. I didn't set up the vestibule due to space concerns in our yard & a lack of thorough poop patrol ahead of time. Packing the tent up was a cinch - tent fit in the provided bag easily and it rolled up nicely. The only thing I didn't get that I wish I had is the roof protector, which was out of stock when I ordered the tent. As soon as those come back in, I'll get that as well.

It's not going to hold heat as well as a wall tent, but the size & weight savings along with a stove that can handle 22" logs should even the scales. I've got 7 days for pheasant & grouse planned south of Malta & 7 days for elk in unit 700. Should be a grand encampment.

Keep updating this Ben. That's almost the exact combo I'd like to get at some point.

I bought that Kodiak Flexbow this winter on a stupid good deal, and it's not really what I was hoping for.

Keep updating this Ben. That's almost the exact combo I'd like to get at some point.

I bought that Kodiak Flexbow this winter on a stupid good deal, and it's not really what I was hoping for.

Your experience with the Kodiak was pushed me towards the Alaknak, to be honest. Those flexbows are cool tents, but seem like they're just not quite perfect for hunting, whereas the Alaknak is going to be overkill for summer, but perfect for fall & spring.

Which one did you get? I love my 10x14 for base camp type hunting.

The one I bought is tiny, which is probably why it was so cheap. I think it's 8x9 maybe? One your size would be much more useful.

The packed size to floorspace ratio just doesn't make sense for me. The thing takes up half my FJ cargo space, then can barely hold a cot and a table when I get it set up. It is incredibly well built though. If anyone wants to buy it for a song pm me.

The one I bought is tiny, which is probably why it was so cheap. I think it's 8x9 maybe? One your size would be much more useful.

The packed size to floorspace ratio just doesn't make sense for me. The thing takes up half my FJ cargo space, then can barely hold a cot and a table when I get it set up. It is incredibly well built though. If anyone wants to buy it for a song pm me.

It sounds like it would make a nice little kitchen tent with a table and stove inside along with mine for a base camp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back