Tents

neffa3

I'd love to see all this stuff packed up. How much space does it take in your garage/shed/truck/trailer....?

Elkdog

I'd love to see all this stuff packed up. How much space does it take in your garage/shed/truck/trailer....?
The tent, tarps and angles fit in three totes. My wife made canvas bags for the poles, one for legs, one for sides/ridges, one for roof poles. The awning poles have their own bags so we don’t have to take them in the summer when we camp. I use 3 rolls of light indoor/outdoor carpet inside the tent and those roll up pretty small. The poles and carpet are stored in the rafters of the garage. The totes stack in the corner of the shed. They all really don’t take up much room.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCH

EOregonian

I have a Yakima Tent and Awning 14x16 for almost 20 years with no issues. Built my frame using kwik kamp angles and top rail. Bought Kwik Kamp wood stove and have been happy ever since everything cost less $1000 at that time. Davis has great value-Kwik Kamp has packages and good canvas. The one tent that I really liked but didn't go with was a Canvas Cabin-the camp across the road from us every year has one and it is a great product. I really like the outside frame and awning. The one thing for us is that usually during archery season we have fire restrictions I can only thing of two times being able to run the stove late in September so I bring along a big buddy heater and a propane tank and it keeps it nice and warm-keep the tank outside and run the hose underneath the canvas. For a floor I used a tarp for year until a railroad worker gave me a piece of fabric they use (I don't know what it is ) but it is quiet and waterproof. As far storage tent stays rolled up like a burrito-my ridge poles/eaves and sides are standing in a small corner of the garage and the floor is rolled up all in all takes up 4x6ft of space if less because I can stand it up in your pickup a little more but not much-my coolers seem to take up more. Also set up and take down is super easy-I can do it by myself faster or as fast as a two man pup tent.

Last edited:

BluegrassBilly

Have you looked at, or does anybody have experience with, Oz Tents? I just came across them and am intrigued by the designs. Looks like they combine canvas with modern design and simple set-up.

neffa3

A lot less than a camper.
Sure, but I don't consider a trailer to be camping. For posterity's sake, someone should actually post a pic of a full wall tent setup in the back of a truck.

JLS

I’m not going to load it all up for a photo, but I have a standard sized tote with the angles, the tent is roughly the size of a tote, and the stove is the size of a small tote. The frame pieces lay on the bottom of my truck bed.

neffa3

Fair enough. I just envisioned it taking up approximately the entire bed of the truck, or enough of it that if you throw in the coolers, stove, cots, etc, you end up either not having room for an elk on the way out, or you need a trailer. Both of which defeat the purpose of a tent in my mind.

wlbiol

Ben, I have the 12x12 alagnak from Cabelas with awning and it is a great tent. Super easy set up for one person, with the floor and fly for stove use or propane this tent heats quickly. much lighter than canvas and is great in all types of weather. I have used canvas tents for 25 years haven't since I got the alagnak and it all rolls up (including poles) into a nice carrying bag for the truck. You can find these used on craigslist and other sites.