Bell tent vs wall tent?

HuntTalk Freak

Shopping around for a canvas tent for truck camping on some of my hunts and family trips for late winter/early spring.

The 13’ bell tents look nice and would be easier to set up solo and also save weight over the frame of a wall tent. I’m just wondering how they hold up to wind and snow.

Anyone go the bell tent route or is it a mistake for October and November hunts?

I’m also looking at the Davis go tent, 12x14 wall tents and the 12x12 spike tent from the wall tent shop.

Basically I need something I can set up solo, stand up in, have a wood stove and can also fit my wife and young daughter in.

Had to look up what a Bell tent was. They look very nice, but not very roomy until you get into the larger sizes. If you are going to put in three cots, stove and some gear, for that cost point, I would go with a Davis tent. I have a Davis tent that I love, but don't use much any more. I have gone to a smaller 10X10 Alaskan Guide Instinct Tent from Cabela's that holds up to high winds and heavy snow. But I hunt alone now that all my old partners have quit hunting or have sadly died. The Davis 12X14 should be fine for your needs and are made for heavy snow and wind.

If I were still limber enough to sleep on the ground, I would go with the bell tent. But in my advanced years, I want a cot, a thick pad (4" thermarest) a stove, and maybe a La-z-boy. A wall tent or similar it would be for me.

David
NM

If critters running around freaks the people in your life out the bell is great being they usually come with floors. You would have to get 4’ walls. My dad has the alanak it’s nice but to nice for me I’ll stick with my wall tent.

Sold my 20x16 wall tent after 7 seasons to get a large bell tent. I can fit almost the same amount of people and gear inside and handles snow similarly.

I got tired of needing a cargo trailer to haul all the dang poles for the wall tent frame. The bell tent will easily fit in the back of an SUV.

And I can put the bell tent up myself. Almost impossible to put up the 20x16 wall tent myself.

Not to mention the bell tent is less than half the cost of a wall tent + conduit frame.

I ended up with a 13’ bell tent and don’t regret it so far. We all fit in it pretty good and it’s been a palace for me me solo, easy to put up too.

Still might get a bigger wall tent in a few years when the kiddo is bigger.

I ended up with a 13’ bell tent and don’t regret it so far. We all fit in it pretty good and it’s been a palace for me me solo, easy to put up too.

Still might get a bigger wall tent in a few years when the kiddo is bigger.
Did you ever look into a flexbow/Springbar type tent? I’m in the market and am really torn!

Last edited:
Dude you ever look into a flexbow/Springbar type tent? I’m in the market and am really torn!
Yes but at the time none of them came with a stove jack and it was a DIY mod I didn’t want to bother with, it seems now a few brands offer stove jacks or at least their own kit to do it.

I think that type tent would be more useful year round with the extra ventilation if you’re looking for a do it all tent. I have five tents already so was looking for a cold weather tent.

Yes but at the time none of them came with a stove jack and it was a DIY mod I didn’t want to bother with, it seems now a few brands offer stove jacks or at least their own kit to do it.

I think that type tent would be more useful year round with the extra ventilation if you’re looking for a do it all tent. I have five tents already so was looking for a cold weather tent.
Yeah, I was looking at the diy mod. Appreciate input!

My dad had a bell tent for an elk hunt last year. Hated it, sold it and got Colorado Canvas.

I have a Kodiak. Really good tent but it’s a pain to set up by yourself and it’s super heavy with a sewn in floor. If you can look past those two, it’s a good buy.

I wasn’t even aware that shape was called a “bell tent.” I’ve been been occasionally borrowing an old beater knockoff bell tent from a friend for a few years. Works great and is very easy to set up solo. Muuuuch easier to set up than his old PITA wall tent with all the poles. Seems to do better in the wind as well.

I might have to pony up and finally get one of my own this year.

Close to forty years ago, I camped with a buddy in his "10 man military tent" dark green, leaked in the rain. We put up a tarp inside, to direct water away from the cots. Melted the bottoms of my Alaska sneakers, "hip waders", being close to the wood stove. We woke up, in the night, coughing due to plastic burning off the boot soles. It was a “bell tent” style. Not mine, we were young, just an experience!

I really like my bell tent. It is super easy and fast to set up and take down. It also handles wind and snow like a champ and it fits in a large duffle bag(60 lbs). I do have a few complaints though. If I were to do it again I would get a bigger one. Mine is 12 to 13 feet across. I would like it better if it was 15 ft. That little bit more room would really help for the wood stove and wood pile. It can get a tad cramped with more than just my wife and myself but it's doable. It's a tight fit for cooking inside as well but overall I am very happy with it.

I'm looking into this as well and had already been leaning towards bell tent. Compared to a backpacking tent or sleeping in my truck bed it seems like a great upgrade. Would be nice to stand up and walk around in a full wall tent but the price point and setup time I'm pretty sold on the bell design. If/when I pull the trigger illd update the forum

Any tips on things to look out for when buying a used canvas tent?

I'm looking into this as well and had already been leaning towards bell tent. Compared to a backpacking tent or sleeping in my truck bed it seems like a great upgrade. Would be nice to stand up and walk around in a full wall tent but the price point and setup time I'm pretty sold on the bell design. If/when I pull the trigger illd update the forum

Any tips on things to look out for when buying a used canvas tent?
I would keep an eye on the quality and condition of of the canvas. My uncle has a wall tent that has been used for close to 30 years that still works great, but you have to be very careful with putting the canvas on the frame. The fabric has gotten weak over the years and can rip very easy.

I really like my bell tent. It is super easy and fast to set up and take down. It also handles wind and snow like a champ and it fits in a large duffle bag(60 lbs). I do have a few complaints though. If I were to do it again I would get a bigger one. Mine is 12 to 13 feet across. I would like it better if it was 15 ft. That little bit more room would really help for the wood stove and wood pile. It can get a tad cramped with more than just my wife and myself but it's doable. It's a tight fit for cooking inside as well but overall I am very happy with it.
I’ve come to terms that there is no perfect tent for every situation. I have the 13’ and it’s a palace for solo trips, perhaps even a little too big. I figured it would be a good compromise between the 10’ and the 16’ for when my wife and daughter start coming with me but yeah anything more than three adults and gear the 13’ can get tight.

I would like to try one of the smaller 8’ versions paired with a smaller stove for solo trips.

Just a heads up but I got a text today from White Duck Outdoors that they are having a sale up to 20% off their bell tents.

I have their tent and have been very pleased with it. No other affiliation just wanted to pass along the deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back