Tell me about your elk camp canvas tent setup! Add pictures if you got em

This is the guy I am going with. Ordering it today. Thank you for all of the input gents. Once it comes in, ill set it up and post some pictures of the setup.
Although we have yet to really use it, we went with the 12x12 plus the 8x8 attachment. It seems like it's going to be luxury with some cots and a stove. We had it setup here at the house to cure it or whatever and it got caught in a true downpour thunderstorm and was bone dry in the main tent.

Although we have yet to really use it, we went with the 12x12 plus the 8x8 attachment. It seems like it's going to be luxury with some cots and a stove. We had it setup here at the house to cure it or whatever and it got caught in a true downpour thunderstorm and was bone dry in the main tent.
Im excited to see it when it comes in. Everyone is saying the same thing... they stay bone dry! They make a great product.

This is the guy I am going with. Ordering it today. Thank you for all of the input gents. Once it comes in, ill set it up and post some pictures of the setup.
That should be a fantastic tent. You will be very comfortable. I looked really close at that one before going with the bell tent. In some ways that we've already discussed, I kind of wish I had gone with the kodiak tent. Good luck. Can't wait to read future hunting adventures with that thing!

1210.jpg

Cabela's Alaknak with vestible. Its fine and I can set it up by myself if required but 2 men make it a whole lot easier. Thinking about selling it and buying the Kodiak.

I use a Kodiak tent probably for 15 years. I don’t have the stove Jack I see they sell now. I use bunk bed cots in it and sleep four comfortably. You can add more people by having them sleep on the floor and stuffing cots into the tent. Coldest I’ve slept in it was in the low teens. The tent is bombproof.

I’m going to use it for a September elk hunt. We’re car camping and hiking into the wilderness each day. I might take my buddy heater and a CO2 monitor to heat the tent in the mornings.

If I wanted the true wood stove experience, I’d buy a wall tent. This tent would be tight with a stove.

Attachments

• IMG_5341.jpeg
    IMG_5341.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Thank you for the post and the pictures. A lot of good information there! I do like the awning, you can store ice chest and such out there. It looks like a nice addition. For me, a floor is a must. I know itll be a pain to clean, but it seems like it will help with keeping moisture out. Im going to brin a batterey operated shop vac with me for the little stuff that gets in there. Great write up, much appreciated.
Kodiak Dirty floor tip I use now is to get a cloth painter's tarp for inside the tent, one that's light enough to clean in the washing machine.

Few good options out there for the Kodiak. Could even use a cheap tarp and throw a big moving blanket over it.

Good that you made your decision.

I've had a Davis 14x16 for 15 years or so, IMO, can't be bested.

I sent it in to have it repaired after a hunting buddy got tangled up in a tie down and put a small rip in the eve. While it was there, they fixed all the bent grommets, etc. Whopping $75 in repairs, that were all my fault.

I also ordered their cook shack, which finish out at about 10 feet on the same footprint as my 14x16 and can either be used as a smaller tent, or attached to my existing 14x16. Really opens up a ton of options for using as its own tent, or making more space for 4-6 hunters. with my 2 nephews full on hunters now, we needed more space than just one 14x16.

My Dad also has a 14x16 Davis and we usually set them both up if we have more than 3 hunters, won't be doing that anymore now with the cook shack. I also likely wont be using my 14x16 on hunts with 1-2 people.

I got the Kodiak 10x14 and it has served me well. Practice setting it up in your yard a couple times and if by the third try you can’t do it in 15 minutes by yourself, just sell it because you probably shouldn’t be going into the woods anyway. I was impressed with how well it handled 3 days of ridiculous wind on the prairie. Also impressed with how well it handled 24” of snow in the mountains. I installed a stove jack and a small Riley stove and think it turned out great without a lot of effort. Welders blanket material is cheap and makes a good heat shield for the back wall and to protect the floor. I spent a few years going the mr buddy route. Just got sick of the constant growing pile of empty green bottles. Wasn’t interested in lugging a 5 gallon tank around either. I just love wood stoves and wood smoke I guess. If a lot of snow is forecasted a10x10 Poly tarp brown over the top with a bungee going to each corner stake will guarantee no snow load problems. Hope you enjoy yours to, should last a lifetime

Attachments

• B557BAD0-A75A-463E-A8BE-10E4B92A2DE7.jpeg
    B557BAD0-A75A-463E-A8BE-10E4B92A2DE7.jpeg
    837.1 KB · Views: 36
  • C799D1FE-2199-4D96-8ACF-D468FCD0CC1B.jpeg
    C799D1FE-2199-4D96-8ACF-D468FCD0CC1B.jpeg
    758 KB · Views: 35
  • 0C5A5675-0523-40CA-A02A-CA21A86BD0C1.jpeg
    0C5A5675-0523-40CA-A02A-CA21A86BD0C1.jpeg
    754.4 KB · Views: 36
I got the Kodiak 10x14 and it has served me well. Practice setting it up in your yard a couple times and if by the third try you can’t do it in 15 minutes by yourself, just sell it because you probably shouldn’t be going into the woods anyway. I was impressed with how well it handled 3 days of ridiculous wind on the prairie. Also impressed with how well it handled 24” of snow in the mountains. I installed a stove jack and a small Riley stove and think it turned out great without a lot of effort. Welders blanket material is cheap and makes a good heat shield for the back wall and to protect the floor. I spent a few years going the mr buddy route. Just got sick of the constant growing pile of empty green bottles. Wasn’t interested in lugging a 5 gallon tank around either. I just love wood stoves and wood smoke I guess. If a lot of snow is forecasted a10x10 Poly tarp brown over the top with a bungee going to each corner stake will guarantee no snow load problems. Hope you enjoy yours to, should last a lifetime
Great write up and a nice setup you got there! Definitely going to set it up a few times. I dont think im going to miss the camper at all. Thank you for the insight.

Good that you made your decision.

I've had a Davis 14x16 for 15 years or so, IMO, can't be bested.

I sent it in to have it repaired after a hunting buddy got tangled up in a tie down and put a small rip in the eve. While it was there, they fixed all the bent grommets, etc. Whopping $75 in repairs, that were all my fault.

I also ordered their cook shack, which finish out at about 10 feet on the same footprint as my 14x16 and can either be used as a smaller tent, or attached to my existing 14x16. Really opens up a ton of options for using as its own tent, or making more space for 4-6 hunters. with my 2 nephews full on hunters now, we needed more space than just one 14x16.

My Dad also has a 14x16 Davis and we usually set them both up if we have more than 3 hunters, won't be doing that anymore now with the cook shack. I also likely wont be using my 14x16 on hunts with 1-2 people.

You've got a great setup man. Probably way more than I need. I usually only go out for a max of 3-4 days. Wifey has some health issues, so I dont like to leave her alone to battle the kids for too long. The davis tents are a great route as well. I looked at them quite a bit after I started the thread. Thanks for sharing, man.

Looks like a max of maybe two folks when running a stove, no?

Yes, with the way it’s set up in the picture. I figured if I ever want to make it work with three I could either run my ti goat stove I use in my sawtooth or go back to the mr buddy system for that trip. When not using the stove I close he jack up with a red solo cup. Also depends on if you have another tent you could put up just for gear/ cooking.

My buddy "mungus".

"I can set up in 45 minutes... hour and 15 if my wife helps me."

Floor sucks but having a floor is nice get an appropriate size carpet, not under the cot and not under the stove. When it gets filthy pull out, shake, and pull in. You just vacuumed the house in 20 seconds.

Going bigger has definite minus' its not all upside, better to make your use of space more efficient as best you can before going more square footage.

Biggest single factor is how and where you are going to use the camp and what means of transport works for you. One thing is for sure, if you get a 14x20 with 6' sidewall you aren't likely to carry it far on your back.

I just got under roof after almost 8 months of wall tenting. The first 6 months are the easy ones. That first rain on the roof over head was a wonderful sound.

An above floor dog storage device is handy. Otherwise the floor becomes your spot.tempImageCQ1bRO.png
tempImageQRlWFm.jpg

Kodiak Tent tip #2:
Can us lag bolts and washers instead of stakes.

I tried this a few times last season and made the 16 stakes go in and out like a breeze.

Just need a solid drill or impact gun. Previously in hard ground I bent a couple of the stakes, but this made it super easy.

Last edited:
Back