Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Teacher Concealed Carry Law in Idaho

Maybe we should try funding mental health programs. Seems like a better preventative for the kid you mentioned and needing teachers to conceal carry. But I don't expect anything productive from our legislature.
We do fund them.

They kicked him out of the psych ward. They kicked him out of jail.

Said, "Can't stay here...go where all the helpless kids are."

What I'm saying is, and I think history is pretty clear on this, is that if we simply think we can expel evil by mental health initiatives we are badly mistake.

And on the mental/behavioral healthcare side I feel like our hands are equally tied. Especially with juveniles.

The most frustrating part of that article seems to be this idea that increasing prevention and treatment is mutually exclusive of changing our response resources and planning for active shooting events. It isn’t either or.
Absolutely. Two separate things that they lump together.

Most people don't know how difficult it is to keep dangerous kids from schools.

School is considered a property right, and thus takes serious due process to take away, and school boards can only expel a year. But the kicker is the IDEA Act. If a behavior is a manifestation of a disability, we can basically suspend for 10 school days a year, with a small exception for "emergencies" that is like 30 days.

So if a kid has an ED (Emotionally Disturbed) designation on his IEP, anything he does will be considered a manifestation of his disability. He can rape a teacher, sexually assault a schoolmate, or bring a gun to school. The police can deal with the law side of things, but we can suspend him 10 days and he is back in school.

Id be most curious what teachers would say about this. I dont know how id feel about it honestly if it were at my daughters hypothetical school.

Cant say i know a lot of teachers (or people for that matter) that id trust to run a gun in a crowded place and hit their target. But people do it.

I do know that for all the fear of a mass shooting turning into the OK corral with wild exchanges of gunfire - it hasnt materialized where this has been legalized other areas in other states.

In another life I was a school board chair for an Idaho public school for eight years.

Arming teachers is not the answer.

They don’t have the training and it’s not their responsibility. A teacher with a firearm in the school creates another potential source of conflict, not a solution.

As said earlier, the best course of action in a school shooting situation is to lock the kids in the room until police arrive.

In my situation, I begged and pleaded to have police present as much as possible. The police understood. Shooters are looking for soft targets and will seek another venue if armed police are at the location.

If not a police officer, the state should pay to have trained protection.

***The funds would be better used to increase teacher pay based on the amount of school shootings in Idaho.

Id be most curious what teachers would say about this. I dont know how id feel about it honestly if it were at my daughters hypothetical school.

Cant say i know a lot of teachers (or people for that matter) that id trust to run a gun in a crowded place and hit their target. But people do it.

I do know that for all the fear of a mass shooting turning into the OK corral with wild exchanges of gunfire - it hasnt materialized where this has been legalized other areas in other states.
My biggest question is how do I best keep from getting mistaken for the active shooter if I choose to respond with a firearm?

What I'm saying is, and I think history is pretty clear on this, is that if we simply think we can expel evil by mental health initiatives we are badly mistake.
How many people are actually born evil though? Aren’t most kids with behavioral issues generally the way they are because of their home lives? I completely agree that more needs to be done to keep kids safe in school, and that schools should have more latitude in being able to remove students who are genuinely a threat to others.

It seems as though the general popular narrative is to put all of the responsibility for fixing kids and ensuring their success in life on schools, when there is little-to-no accountability for a student’s choices or behavior placed that kid’s family. If a kid brings pain, suffering, rage, and danger into the school to inflict on others, there is often a reason for that behavior found in the neglect or trauma of home. And so what do we do about that? There are a frightening number of parents that are completely checked out of their kids’ lives, and maybe it’s not germane to this particular discussion, but it sure as hell should be for the national discussion about school safety and general improvement of public education.

In another life I was a school board chair for an Idaho public school for eight years.

They don’t have the training and it’s not their responsibility. A teacher with a firearm in the school creates another potential source of conflict, not a solution.

As said earlier, the best course of action in a school shooting situation is to lock the kids in the room until police arrive.

In my situation, I begged and pleaded to have police present as much as possible. The police understood. Shooters are looking for soft targets and will seek another venue if armed police are at the location.

***The funds would be better used to increase teacher pay based on the amount of school shootings in Idaho.
Where is this outlined as a responsibility? That keeps coming up.

Cant say i know a lot of teachers (or people for that matter) that id trust to run a gun in a crowded place and hit their target. But people do
Desk pop going into the Monday staff meeting…
1707279779856.gif

Would you support allowing teachers to be armed in lieu of the above. Ie until officers or guards can be put in place/security is beefed up?

Aren’t most kids with behavioral issues generally the way they are because of their home lives?
Yep. And I’ve had parents verbalize that they came to Idaho in order to escape to a place where they were held less accountable and scrutinized less by protective services. (I’m saying this while acknowledging Idaho is much safer than other states). And typically the biggest problems from lifetime residents have been from those who received the least services the latest.

If you are armed in a school setting and something comes up it is automatically your responsibility. Or at least adds to the responsibility you already have for the children’s safety.
Would a teacher be liable for not responding? In the same fashion some of the Uvalde LEOs may end up finding themselves.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmor19534
Back