Teacher Concealed Carry Law in Idaho

Would you trust 99% of Americans to guard your child?

Teachers are hired to teach, not be armed guards. There are other avenues to protect schools than letting ANY teacher carry a gun.
We would all love an armed police officer at every school, but it isn't going to happen.

Our country would rather spend money protecting Ukraine from Russia.

No one is requiring teachers to do anything more than they are doing now.

Any teacher can't carry a gun in this bill. They would have to do the training.

Then you probably shouldn't hang out in Idaho anywhere with your daughter because a lot of people carry.
As does most of my town and my wife and myself. I’m licensed in WA, AZ, and OR. I’m just saying that in a school setting my opinion is it should come with stringent training.

I wouldn't worry about civilian on civilian.

A teacher won't shoot another teacher/staff member thinking he/she is the shooter. These people work together daily.
I removed the civilian on civilian. I was thinking more of the general public in a public setting other than a school. And thought about clarifying but didn’t want to derail the thread away from school employees in school.

Would you mind elaborating on this?
There is zero accountability fom kids actions.
Most parents are absolutely worless at parenting and expect the school to make up for their short commings.

Teacher retention is abysmal and good luck finding new teachers.

Teachers get paid jack shit and have little control and a mountain of responsibility. So many jobs pay way better and are far less stressful.

I watched in horror as a mob basically lynched my sister, based on made up right wingers lies. Long story but started by a worthless kid with all sorts of legal troubles.

How can you expect anyone to go into debt for a degree that pays so little? School is stupid expensive...

Communities don't support schools, and always look for reasons to cut spending.

It's a miserable cycle that, if doesn't change soon will absolutely implode. We're on the way there

There is a shortage of something like 100,000 teachers nationwide and the amount of kids going to school to be teachers has plummeted. Replacement isn't there.

It seems you're a teacher? Id love to hear your take. I've talked to a lot of teachers and many of them are about to hang it up. I know of quite a few that are quitting at the end of the school year. Veterans who are in their prime, the kind of teacher you want for your kid... They're done.

My kids are going to be home schooled next year. I'm tired of the system teaching to the lowest denominator. Without a doubt they'll lean more in 2 hrs a day than an entire day of school, while they wait on the kids that don't want to learn or be there. Oh let's not forget the bullshit positive reinforcement for negative behaviors. Not behaving, or paying attention, let's take a break, get a snack or go to the play room and maybe you'll want to learn when you come back? Yes this is a real behavior treatment method.

I may be biased, but I went to an excellent grade/middle and highschool. My dad was a teacher and most of our family friends were teachers. The school system now is night and day different. So many controls and constraints, and so many kids that need a backhand now and then.

I wouldn't be so sure, when the shit hits the fan, getting shot at flat rattles some folks...
I don't doubt this and agree with it, but this was in response to someone mistaking a fellow staff member as a shooter. Of course shit happens in tense situations, but the question was about mistaking someone for a bad guy.

I think this idea of this giant firefight situation is unlikely. These would most likely (if history repeats) be a single crazy kid/person in a classroom shooting other kids.

There is certainly risk involved, but simple gun ownership is risky.

I removed the civilian on civilian. I was thinking more of the general public in a public setting other than a school. And thought about clarifying but didn’t want to derail the thread away from school employees in school.
I think the answer to this can be found in looking at current data on the states that have general concealed carry outside of schools.

Most parents are absolutely worless at parenting and expect the school to make up for their short commings.

Teachers get paid jack shit and have little control and a mountain of responsibility. So many jobs pay way better and are far less stressful.

I watched in horror as a mob basically lynched my sister, based on made up right wingers lies. Long story but started by a worthless kid with all sorts of legal troubles.

How can you expect anyone to go into debt for a degree that pays so little? School is stupid expensive...

It's a miserable cycle that, if doesn't change soon will absolutely implode. We're on the way there

There is a shortage of something like 100,000 teachers nationwide and the amount of kids going to school to be teachers has plummeted. Replacement isn't there.

It seems you're a teacher? Id love to hear your take. I've talked to a lot of teachers and many of them are about to hang it up. I know of quite a few that are quitting at the end of the school year. Veterans who are in their prime, the kind of teacher you want for your kid... They're done.

My kids are going to be home schooled next year. I'm tired of the system teaching to the lowest denominator. Without a doubt they'll lean more in 2 hrs a day than an entire day of school, while they wait on the kids that don't want to learn or be there. Oh let's not forget the bullshit positive reinforcement for negative behaviors. Not behaving, or paying attention, let's take a break, get a snack or go to the play room and maybe you'll want to learn when you come back? Yes this is a real behavior treatment method.

I may be biased, but I went to an excellent grade/middle and highschool. My dad was a teacher and most of our family friends were teachers. The school system now is night and day different. So many controls and constraints, and so many kids that need a backhand now and then.
My take—that was a pretty damn good summation. Thanks Bambi.

As does most of my town and my wife and myself. I’m licensed in WA, AZ, and OR. I’m just saying that in a school setting my opinion is it should come with stringent training.
I agree. I would like to see the training requirement beefed up.

I think the answer to this can be found in looking at current data on the states that have general concealed carry outside of schools.
It was a more a question of best practices rather than statistical risk evaluation. I’ll look it up.

I would agree with a lot of this.

But I'd also say there are some huge differences from state to state, district to district and school to school.

Most Americans would be absolutely shocked at certain individual kids that we have to keep in schools. Public schools can turn NOBODY down.

And you are correct on some of your behavior management comments, but again, it totally depends on each individual school.

There are still some phenomenal public schools out there.

It was a more a question of best practices rather than statistical risk evaluation. I’ll look it up.
I didn't mean it like that...more like, there is obviously risk, but I am just not hearing this stuff in the news, and God knows the news would rather cover a concealed carry person accidentally shooting another over a lot of stories.

There's criminal liability, and there's civil liability. Attorneys gravitate to shooting cases like flies to gut piles. What teacher could afford that level of liability insurance going strapped would require? What insurance provider would even offer that kind of coverage?

There's criminal liability, and there's civil liability. Attorneys gravitate to shooting cases like flies to gut piles. What teacher could afford that level of liability insurance going strapped would require? What insurance provider would even offer that kind of coverage?
Would it be any different than if they were somewhere other than at work? I would have to think that there are some teachers out there in several states with concealed carry?

There are already schools in Idaho and across the nation that have this. It is not a new thing.

Furthermore, I'm not sure how much clearer they can be when they say "no school employee shall be held civilly or criminally liable."

Screenshot_20240206-230053.png

The “training” required here is a joke. Have a pulse? Here’s your carry permit.
I wonder how much training there is with driving our kids on the school bus? Nobody ever questions that they just smile and wave as a stranger drives off with there kids down the road at 55mph. Bring up guns and everyone gets emotional real quick.

I’m not sure of your question.

Of the tasks teachers are expected to do, using firearms to deter an armed intruder is not on the list.
The bill does not give teachers the responsibility or expectation to carry, it gives them the freedom to carry if they want to. I don't know why everyone on here keeps insinuating that teachers are going to "have" to carry or buy their own firearm to conform to this.

I'd bet that in heavy urban areas, most teachers would choose not to carry, but in my small 300 person town I'll bet that a good number of teachers choose to carry.

There are already schools in Idaho and across the nation that have this. It is not a new thing.

Furthermore, I'm not sure how much clearer they can be when they say "no school employee shall be held civilly or criminally liable."

View attachment 314517
Your contention is that if an armed teacher accidentally pops a student or coworker in a school shooting incident they won't be held criminally or civilly liable because that bill says so?

Good luck with that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back