Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Teacher Concealed Carry Law in Idaho

To add/clarify: i know, i have an Idaho enhanced conceal carry license. The 8 hours of class and box of ammo were little more than a pulse check.
Yeah. Not questioning your knowledge or opinion. I just wanted people to know what was in the bill.

Would a teacher be liable for not responding? In the same fashion some of the Uvalde LEOs may end up finding themselves.
I’m torn on that one. If you wanna be Dirty Harry in our schools then ya better plan on getting dirty when things get hairy. Otherwise you’re just adding more potential danger to an already tragic situation.

How many people are actually born evil though? Aren’t most kids with behavioral issues generally the way they are because of their home lives? I completely agree that more needs to be done to keep kids safe in school, and that schools should have more latitude in being able to remove students who are genuinely a threat to others.

It seems as though the general popular narrative is to put all of the responsibility for fixing kids and ensuring their success in life on schools, when there is little-to-no accountability for a student’s choices or behavior placed that kid’s family. If a kid brings pain, suffering, rage, and danger into the school to inflict on others, there is often a reason for that behavior found in the neglect or trauma of home. And so what do we do about that? There are a frightening number of parents that are completely checked out of their kids’ lives, and maybe it’s not germane to this particular discussion, but it sure as hell should be for the national discussion about school safety and general improvement of public education.
I 100% agree.

America needs a culture change.

Until parents see themselves as the PRIMARY educators of their children, and not teachers and schools, I fear we will not see any change.

Would a teacher be liable for not responding? In the same fashion some of the Uvalde LEOs may end up finding themselves.
No, not in the same fashion.

The bill, as it is written currently, explicitly says armed staff would not be liable for not responding.

I’m torn on that one. If you wanna be Dirty Harry in our schools then ya better plan on getting dirty when things get hairy. Otherwise you’re just adding more potential danger to an already tragic situation.
The bill currently does not require armed staff to respond in any way.

The question I’ve had without doing much research is how would you best avoid “blue on blues”. Seems easy to be mistaken for the shooter.

Bill 415:

(11)Noschoolemployeeshallbeheldcivillyorcriminallyliablefor 29 decidingtoengageornottoengageinanarmedconfrontationduringalethal 30 threattosafetyinsideofaschooloronschoolproperty. Thedecisionto 31 useafirearmorotherdeadlyweaponduringalife-threateningincidentin-32 sideofaschooloronschoolpropertyliessolelywithintheschoolemployee 33 andisapersonaldecision. Themerepossessionofafirearmandconcealed 34 carrylicenseoranenhancedconcealedcarrylicensealonedoesnotmandatea 35 schoolemployeeintotakingarmedaction.

It didn't copy and paste too well...

The question I’ve had without doing much research is how would you best avoid “blue on blues” especially civilian to civilian. Seems easy to be mistaken for the shooter.
As the bill is currently written, the district has to provide photos of everyone carrying at every school to local police and sheriff. Is it full proof? No. But in an active shooter situation, cops would have photos.

Police get to know who is armed. Principals and superintendents get to know, but would not be obligated to share this with school board.

It would be illegal for districts to put anything regarding whether a staff member carries or not in a personell file.

Not from Idaho, so no skin in the game. In fact I live in WA so it’s something that I’m 99.9999999999% sure will never even be brought up in my states politics. But I do feel that if it were an option in my daughter’s school, I would be strongly against it without some intense qualifications and training. That’s just my opinion, but I’ve had too many interactions with school staff at my child’s school that wouldn’t have me trusting them with a nerf dart gun. Not all obviously but many.

The question I’ve had without doing much research is how would you best avoid “blue on blues”. Seems easy to be mistaken for the shooter.
I wouldn't worry about civilian on civilian.

A teacher won't shoot another teacher/staff member thinking he/she is the shooter. These people work together daily.

As the bill is currently written, the district has to provide photos of everyone carrying at every school to local police and sheriff. Is it full proof? No. But in an active shooter situation, cops would have photos.

Police get to know who is armed. Principals and superintendents get to know, but would not be obligated to share this with school board.

It would be illegal for districts to put anything regarding whether a staff member carries or not in a personell file.
@BackofBeyond

Either of you know if this only applies to K-12?

Colleges/universities too?

Not from Idaho, so no skin in the game. In fact I live in WA so it’s something that I’m 99.9999999999% sure will never even be brought up in my states politics. But I do feel that if it were an option in my daughter’s school, I would be strongly against it without some intense qualifications and training. That’s just my opinion, but I’ve had too many interactions with school staff at my child’s school that wouldn’t have me trusting them with a nerf dart gun. Not all obviously but many.
Then you probably shouldn't hang out in Idaho anywhere with your daughter because a lot of people carry.

Would you support allowing teachers to be armed in lieu of the above. Ie until officers or guards can be put in place/security is beefed up?
I could see some teachers being armed in a similar situation as sky marshals on a jet. Lots of training with the expectation only a few highly qualified were armed.

I’m not sure of your question.

Of the tasks teachers are expected to do, using firearms to deter an armed intruder is not on the list.
Nor is it required in any way, shape or form in this bill.

Nor is there a legal expectation of this for those who would carry. In fact, the bill explicitly states the opposite.

If you are armed in a school setting and something comes up it is automatically your responsibility. Or at least adds to the responsibility you already have for the children’s safety.
IF - as in if you want to be. As in you can CHOOSE not to be responsible for it by not doing it. Nothing is added to a teachers necessary responsibilities.

Most of me feels like this is something a teacher wouldnt take lightly. And i trust them. It also instills fear for some of these people - its hard for them to plan when this could ruin it all for them.
I’m not sure of your question.

Of the tasks teachers are expected to do, using firearms to deter an armed intruder is not on the list.
So you would prefer to leave them with less choices?

I could see some teachers being armed in a similar situation as sky marshals on a jet. Lots of training with the expectation only a few highly qualified were armed.
I think the challenge there would be keeping that level of training confidential.

But not if armed teachers/staff are at that location?
IF - as in if you want to be. As in you can CHOOSE not to be responsible for it by not doing it. Nothing is added to a teachers necessary responsibilities.

Most of me feels like this is something a teacher wouldnt take lightly. And i trust them. It also instills fear for some of these people - its hard for them to plan when this could ruin it all for them.

So you would prefer to leave them with less choices?
Would you trust 99% of Americans to guard your child?

Teachers are hired to teach, not be armed guards. There are other avenues to protect schools than letting ANY teacher carry a gun.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS4KIDS
Back