Teacher Concealed Carry Law in Idaho

My wife is a teacher. Teachers here in TX have been able to conceal carry for quite a while. I don’t recall any stories of negative consequences but I haven’t kept track. We also have one of the worst school shootings in history where dozens of armed yet inept men stood around sanitizing their hands and stopping parents from saving their kids.

We had a kid in a nearby school district (in the past) who was kicked out of juvenile detention and the psych ward. Yes, kicked out. "We can't handle him. He cannot stay here anymore. He is too dangerous."

Guess who could not say "no" to this kid, and kids like him?

Public schools.

Ok... serious question.

Scenario: You are in your child's school. Shots start ringing out down the hall in your kid's classroom, kids are screaming and dying.

Would you rather:
A. Wait 2-3 minutes for police to arrive.
B. Pull a Glock out of your waistband and run down to the classroom?
I believe lockdown procedures here say you lock the door and shelter in place. My kid just had a drill on it the other day. I don't mind the idea in concept, but a lot of stuff looks good in concept and falls apart in practice. In your example that teacher ran to the shooter and left the kids in the classroom alone. I like the idea of shelter in place with a firearm a little better.

I believe lockdown procedures here say you lock the door and shelter in place. My kid just had a drill on it the other day. I don't mind the idea in concept, but a lot of stuff looks good in concept and falls apart in practice. In your example that teacher ran to the shooter and left the kids in the classroom alone. I like the idea of shelter in place with a firearm a little better.
I'm not sitting in my office "sheltering in place" while someone shoots up a classroom full of kids.

At Uvalde they followed the lockdown in textbook fashion. There are definitely kinks to be worked out with that plan.

That wasn’t a scenario. I’m sure they weren’t. A few I know weren’t. That’s part of my point.
By the letter of this bill, to legally do this you have to inform principal and superintendent. You have to show the license and admin are required to notify police. It cannot go in a personell file, but police do know.

A felon gang member carrying a gun in a school would be as illegal then as it is today.

Last edited:
At Uvalde they followed the lockdown in textbook fashion. There are definitely kinks to be worked out with that plan.
Let's not forget that the kid who will be doing the shooting likely was a part of the lockdown drills since he was in kindergarten.

These drills rely on the perpetrator to somehow believe the school is empty and doors can't be shot and opened.

They are a decent first line of defense, but anyone knowledgeable or determined won't be stopped.

T

By the letter of this bill, to legally do this you have to inform principal and superintendent. You have to show the license and admin are required to notify police. It cannot go in a personell file, but police do know.

A felon gang member carrying a gun in a school would be as illegal then as it is today.
Reread my posts I think. To clarify, I’m not worried about prohibited persons suddenly carrying in schools after this bill.

I believe that you are a principal so that makes sense. You want teachers doing the same?
This is a good question. I would want teachers to make a determination of what they think would save the most kids....and what they are willing to do. I wouldn't expect them to go and hunt someone down.

I tell teachers this all the time. They have a lot of "what ifs" during drills as it is. Regardless of whether they are allowed to carry, I want them thinking on their feet and doing what they can and not being tied to procedure.

In some situations, staying put is good. On others, maybe getting the kids out the window and taking them away from the school is best.

Same applies to this....using adult judgement.

The federal government has made it virtually impossible for public schools to get extremely dangerous kids out of them. That is something to consider.
And on the mental/behavioral healthcare side I feel like our hands are equally tied. Especially with juveniles.

The most frustrating part of that article seems to be this idea that increasing prevention and treatment is mutually exclusive of changing our response resources and planning for active shooting events. It isn’t either or.

We had a kid in a nearby school district (in the past) who was kicked out of juvenile detention and the psych ward. Yes, kicked out. "We can't handle him. He cannot stay here anymore. He is too dangerous."

Guess who could not say "no" to this kid, and kids like him?

Public schools.

Maybe we should try funding mental health programs. Seems like a better preventative for the kid you mentioned and needing teachers to conceal carry. But I don't expect anything productive from our legislature.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back