Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tax Payer Funded Camp

jryoung

This fall I picked up a "Combat Operations Center" model of an M1102 trailer at auction and have been slowly working on getting it converted over for a hunting rig. I was able to get it at 82% off MSRP based on what the notes say the tax payer paid for it the first time around, in fact I "accidentally" bought a second one (which is a whole other story) so this one is my rough draft to find out what works and what doesn't then I'll do it all again.

First was stripping all power and communications wiring which was snipping no less that 11,327 zip ties, and trying to untangle the mile or so of cable. Next was pulling out all the bonus aluminum racking so I can have better access to the core frame.....both the wiring and aluminum should be a decent yield at the scrap yard to off set my costs.

I found a Tepui "Ruggedized" Autana 4 person with zip in awning on Craigslist for another steep discount and bought a Rhino Rack Batwing on sale at Etrailer. Finally, I decided to ditch the Goodyear 37" tires, for a more sensible standard 32" off a Chevy HD (8 x 6.5" pattern)....again another steal off Craigslist because someone needed wheels for their Duramax. Selling the stock tires should get me a few bucks back too. It still has a pretty high tow point so I had to buy a 9" riser for the pintle hook to connect to the lunette. It still tows at a bit of an angle due to my soft springs on my Tundra but I am going to add an extra leaf soon so that should help a bit.

Finally I had to convert the 12pin plug to a 4 pin, fortunately Ebay fixed this for me pretty quick and to boot all the lights work. I still have a ways to go with trying to figure out how to put all my gear inside conveniently, where I want to put sliding drawers, kitchen etc. etc. But, for now it's mobile and functional and the first test is this weekend.

The last pic was a little modification I did in my truck. Tired of playing in the dark in my bed, I added a little LED strip of lights on the inside of the frame on my back window. Stupid simple modification that will be a welcome addition.

Last edited:
That thing looks pretty darn rugged for sure, you will be able to take it anywhere with no problem. As for the ride height issue, I read an article where they removed a 5" spacer from between the torsion axle and frame. If yours has that it would be easy for you to do the same.
I'm also looking forward to your finished trailer. Keep us posted.

That is going to be a sweet rig! You definitely found a good variant with that framework you can build off of, most don't have that.

Nope, it's so over built it's ridiculous. The core framework is awesome, and three different friends that are welding geeks all wet themselves when they saw the welds on the aluminum structure. "Do you have any idea how good these welds are and how hard it is to do with aluminum" or some sort of variant of that is what they all said.

Some rumors might get started about "revenuers" coming around if you keep the paint scheme and the military look going.

I imagine that this will end up being a sweet hub of outdoor activity once you get the kinks worked out.

Looks like a neat project! Surprise you didn't solve the ride height issue by lifting the truck though :cool:

Would be interested to see how this progressed over the summer / fall. Any adds ? How did it work? I am thinking about a similar project.

How does the single axle and pintle set up tow at HWY 80 speeds? I'd worry about trailer whip. Any plan's for an anti sway bar?

I can envision three banks of pull out drawerson each side and two deep ones on the back. Gennie on the tongue?

That is epic! Can not imagine the time vested gutting... What a project.

How does the single axle and pintle set up tow at HWY 80 speeds? I'd worry about trailer whip. Any plan's for an anti sway bar?

I can envision three banks of pull out drawerson each side and two deep ones on the back. Gennie on the tongue?

I pulls great with the smaller wheels and tires, I pulled it once with a load and the original 37s and it bounced quite a bit over 55. With the 32" it's great at 80-85.....except for the gas mileage. I think with the majority of the weight and mass forward of the axle it makes it self stabilize.

I'm working on drawer ideas, there's a fair bit out there on the interwebs of what people have done with these models. Some have cannibalized the metal off the racks above the bed to create slide out trays. Some have done a more enclosed option. An idea that I like is a lateral draw up front of the wheel wells that has an access door out the side, this way I can have a shorter tray out the back and utilize the "dead" space up front. Lots of ideas, not lots of time.

Very cool!! Interested to see what it ends up like.

Be interested in your review of the roof top tent. Not certain I could like one of them.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back