Task force $1,950 NR elk tag

I guess I am not doing it right . . .

my truck is my daily vehicle so its purchase price has nothing to do with hunting costs
no utv
no $40k camper but do have $2k canvas wall tent amortized across a dozen trips - less than $100 per animal
$1k binos + amortized across a dozen trips - less than $75 per animal
$1.5k weapon + scope amortized across a dozen trips - less than $100 per animal
$500 for clothing not otherwise used in day-to-day life
gas + food - variable by trip length & location
$1k-$2k - in one sense a bargain, in another sense a price that leads to further monetization of a share public resource and that risks creating a class-based hunting culture.

Way cheaper than a trip to Disney land . . .
Same here.
I drive a 2012 Toyota with 130k miles
No atv/utv
No camper
No 5k dollar rifle
My expensive optics I got for free when I worked for a retailer years ago
My scopes are $500 swfa

Tags and gas are my biggest annual expenses for hunting.

. . . the stereo type present here that all outfitters are bad is so odd to me and certainly has more at play than said. . . .
I assume outfitters are just like the rest of us, most OK, some exceptional, and some bad news. My objection is not about them as people, as a profession, or the legitimate service they may offer to those who want/need it. My objection is the "crony capitalism" angle. Any person/business that seeks govt regulation to favor their business model while disrupting or disadvantaging others is a major problem in my book. Both sides of the aisle do it, it is pervasive across industries and public spaces. It is the greatest risk to a successful democracy in my book.

I'm fully aware that, given the outsized influence the outfitter lobby had on the Colorado commission's decision on R/NR allocation, creating an outfitter pool of licenses is likely their next play. Especially as we move forward on potentially changing the allocation across the board. I hope my fellow residents are ready to fight against that for our DIY NR friends as much as we have fought to increase the size of our own slice.

during the allocation discussion i sent a full on treatise to the commission on the commercialization of wildlife and the NAM and how every decision cannot come down to outfitter approval and the slippery slope we're on with this. i will send similar thigns again, again, again, again, again, and again.

i only got one response from a commissioner thanking me for my comments.

I guess I am not doing it right . . .

my truck is my daily vehicle so its purchase price has nothing to do with hunting costs
no utv
no $40k camper but do have $2k canvas wall tent amortized across a dozen trips - less than $100 per animal
$1k binos + amortized across a dozen trips - less than $75 per animal
$1.5k weapon + scope amortized across a dozen trips - less than $100 per animal
$500 for clothing not otherwise used in day-to-day life
gas + food - variable by trip length & location
$1k-$2k tag - in one sense a bargain, in another sense a price that leads to further monetization of a share public resource and that risks creating a class-based hunting culture.

Way cheaper than a trip to Disney land . . .
good stuff similar gear list cost. $500 seems cheap No sitka no Kenetreks?? Heck most my hunts the fuel bill is over $1000 to $1500

good stuff similar gear list cost. $500 seems cheap No sitka no Kenetreks?? Heck most my hunts the fuel bill is over $1000 to $1500
a few firstlight items that are 5 or 6 yrs old and used for hiking and camping too - as a flatlander have been satisfied with Danner & Red Wing boots over the years. I do have thousands $ in gear/stuff, but often used beyond hunting and over many years and hunts, so per tag, not much. As for gas, at a $100/400miles a tank I can get to WY/MT and back for under $700.

This reflects the broader trajectory of our nation: marginalization if the many to benefit the few.

We the people see it in corporate prices/profit ratios, minimum wage change/congressional pay change ratio, tax bracket ratios, the failure of “trickle-down”, wealth distribution, utility costs, housing costs….and on and on.

The powers that be have seen that it will go unchallenged, so why not keep on? We have a systemic greed problem.

Just like Disneyland ,wildlife departments know they can raise the prices and people will still pay it,you either pay up or stay home.
$3,000 plus NR Elk tags will be the norm in a few years.

a few firstlight items that are 5 or 6 yrs old and used for hiking and camping too - as a flatlander have been satisfied with Danner & Red Wing boots over the years. I do have thousands $ in gear/stuff, but often used beyond hunting and over many years and hunts, so per tag, not much. As for gas, at a $100/400miles a tank I can get to WY/MT and back for under $700.

I’ve never done the amortization per animal makes me feel waaaaaaay better.

$5 binos, $15 pack.

@88man cant say whether or not your costs are accurate for the average NR hunter/insta star but I find them wild.

2/3 the cost of my AK trip this year was the drop camp fee.

95% of the cost of my elk hunts was renting llamas

80% of my POW bear hunt was the float plane.

Excluding outfitting, tags make up the vast majority of my hunting expenditures.

I’ve never done the amortization per animal makes me feel waaaaaaay better.

$5 binos, $15 pack.

@88man cant say whether or not your costs are accurate for the average NR hunter/insta star but I find them wild.

2/3 the cost of my AK trip this year was the drop camp fee.

95% of the cost of my elk hunts was renting llamas

80% of my POW bear hunt was the float plane.

Excluding outfitting, tags make up the vast majority of my hunting expenditures.
Yes agree good stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back