Task force $1,950 NR elk tag

It's not that hunters numbers have increased natuon wide, it's that the internet and media have made hunting the west way more accessible and desirable, more people are making the trek west.
No lack of hunters in the east either. Social media has created plenty of douche bags thinking in order to kill a deer they have to lease 400 acres and then kill an arm extended 120" 2.5 year old for the gram.

NR Elk hunters going into the draw with 1 point.....

2010; 12,445
2011; 12,229
2012; 13,155
2013; ---
2014; 14,409
2015; ---
2016; 18,482
2017; 19,917
2018; 23,307
2019; 25,827
2020; 28,184
2021; 37,711
2022; 43,974
What happened in '13 and '15? Just no data or something else?

This just hit my inbox this morning.

Non-Resident Wyoming Hunting Tags Could Get Huge Price Hike

For example, the current base price of regular nonresident elk tag set by state statute is $690. The current special application fee for that tag is $576. The draft bill would raise that fee to $1,258. That means the tag would cost hunters entering the special draws a total of $1,948.

Those cost hikes would bring Wyoming’s special draw tag fees for nonresidents more in line with other Western states, Wildlife Task Force member Sen. Larry Hicks, R- Baggs, told the committee.

yay

"However, two hunting outfitters who sit on the wildlife task force told the committee that they don’t think the fee hikes would hurt their business."

lolol

because it's all about boosting your business.

boo-eric-cartman.gif

For example, the current base price of regular nonresident elk tag set by state statute is $690. The current special application fee for that tag is $576. The draft bill would raise that fee to $1,258. That means the tag would cost hunters entering the special draws a total of $1,948.

Those cost hikes would bring Wyoming’s special draw tag fees for nonresidents more in line with other Western states, Wildlife Task Force member Sen. Larry Hicks, R- Baggs, told the committee.
Just another good reason to dump points and stop buying them....even if you don't put in for the special draw, sooner or later they are hiking everything up...you know it. Hunting NR is becoming a rich persons game, kinda sad.

No other legislator was knowledgeable enough to point out the inaccuracy of Sen Larry Hicks' statement?

Intentionally dishonest to mislead other legislators?

Kudos to the journalist as I suspect he put those words in print because he knew they are so objectively false.

This entire thing pisses me off. This is not based on any biological need, it is not based on any budgetary need. This is driven only by greed! Nothing more…. We should never manage wildlife based on the “martlet value”…. This is wrong and it is really scary that this is the driving factor behind wildlife decisions.

This thinking seriously only heads to one place. The highest bidder. Shaun is a jack ass for his comments supporting such a system. Hicks is a moron for thinking any other state has a special draw, and the outfitters know damn well they are pushing this in order to decrease competition for their wealthy clients…

The only thing this move accomplishes is making hunting more exclusive in favor of the wealthy as the expense of everyone else…

Last edited:
This entire thing pisses me off. This is not based on any biological need, it is not based on any budgetary need. This is driven only by greed! Nothing more…. We should never manage wildlife based on the “martlet value”…. This is wrong and it is really scary that this is the driving factor behind wildlife decisions.

This thinking seriously only heads to one place. The highest bidder. Shaun is a jack ass for his comments supporting such a system. Hicks is a moron for thinking any other state has a special draw, and the outfitters know damn well they are pushing this in order to decrease competition for their wealthy clients…

The only thing this move accomplishes is making hunting more exclusive in favor of the wealthy as the expense of everyone else…
1667157453054.png

Larry Hicks is full of it, lying politician, read this about western state nonresident elk tag costs https://www.backcountrychronicles.com/western-states-over-the-counter-elk-tags-non-residents/

I think all western states need to think long and hard about this fact, looking at you Colorado and Montana.

If you essentially kick out NR DIY folks in favor of wealthy guided hunters that will have major long term effects.

To my knowledge there is no law that precludes the FS/BLM from conducting hunting leases. States already do this, Colorado has a ton of state land that is leased by private individuals for hunting. Mineral/grazing/ski area leases are exclusive.

The way hunting is going I see that as the next big push. How do you fix de-criminalized corner crossing if you’re the Eshelman’s of the world, work with Mike Lee to get the BLM to lease you that in-holding for hunting.

I emailed one of the elected officials that was a member on that board. I got a good response even as a NR. I recommend to the Wyoming residents to contact the politicians in your districts.

I think all western states need to think long and hard about this fact, looking at you Colorado and Montana.

If you essentially kick out NR DIY folks in favor of wealthy guided hunters that will have major long term effects.

To my knowledge there is no law that precludes the FS/BLM from conducting hunting leases. States already do this, Colorado has a ton of state land that is leased by private individuals for hunting. Mineral/grazing/ski area leases are exclusive.

The way hunting is going I see that as the next big push. How do you fix de-criminalized corner crossing if you’re the Eshelman’s of the world, work with Mike Lee to get the BLM to lease you that in-holding for hunting.
It's not all on the states, it's also on the NR and in some cases the Resident hunters who are more than willing to pay for a lease, pay for more expensive tags, and also pay for expensive guided hunts.

People spend all their time working and chasing $$$$ rather than doing things for themselves. Things like taking the time to scout for a place to hunt. That's created the demand for outfitted hunts, which in turn drives leasing, and puts a price tag on wildlife. The states also capitalize on that demand reflected via license pricing, in particular non resident pricing.

In other words, the states want their slice of the value we place on hunting and wildlife.

I think before anyone throws stones, a look in the mirror is in order. What's happened is largely self induced because money is easier to obtain than the knowledge it takes to hunt DIY. Easier to get a side hustle, work some OT, or skim the market on a good day to pay for an outfitter than it is to figure out how to kill a bull on public land on your own.

Outfitters pushed this latest fee increase in Wyoming. Outfitters don't exist without clients. Outfitters don't pay for leases without clients.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back