PEAX Equipment

Talk me into a Sous Vide

brockel

Who’s running a sous vide? I’ve read and heard that they are great for cooking wild game. You guys that have them is it worth it? Any good recipes?

To me it isn’t that much better, but to my wife and son it is like a night and day difference. They went from choking down 3 or 4 ounces of wild game at a meal to going back for seconds. Way more consistent on cooking temperature and much more tender. Still haven’t figured it out for neck roasts yet but did the last one for 48 hours at 140 and it turned out pretty good. It is great on steaks and nice roasts. Biggest negative is having to plan ahead.

Love mine. Dial in a few degrees below your ideal temp and give it a good sear after the sous vide. Foolproof and consistently cooked throughout.

I’m happy with mine. Super lazy way to cook when the wife and I are both at work all day long.

Buy it...don’t think about it...just buy it.

I bought a breakfast sandwich maker (as seen on TV) and the sous vide is 1000 times better as far as kitchen gadgets and use.

I’ve done rib eyes, t-bones, chuck roast, turkey, chicken, ...all phenomenal. I am a shit hunter so no wild game yet, but eventually. Just had turkey thigh/drumstick last night...best I’ve ever had hands down and stupid easy. Gravy from turkey “drippings” was unreal.

Definitely nice for meal prep, throw a bunch of meat in vacuum bags, season, cook, and freeze for later. Really easy to reheat and sear/broil for dinner. Wish I had one years ago.

Good for cleaning up skulls for Euro mounts.

I haven't seen too much advantage for deer/elk... just a different way to accomplish the same thing with steaks and roasts. More of a novelty for me. Maybe if someone had a good unusual recipe for shoulder or shank or something...

One tip I would give is to go ahead and spend some money on a good container and well fitting lid. We bought a rubber/silicone type lid that works really well. We also bought a wrap type setup to help keep it warmer. With the tight fitting lid we haven’t had to add any water to it even on 48 hour cooks.

One tip I would give is to go ahead and spend some money on a good container and well fitting lid. We bought a rubber/silicone type lid that works really well. We also bought a wrap type setup to help keep it warmer. With the tight fitting lid we haven’t had to add any water to it even on 48 hour cooks.
I’m doing a tuna steak for dinner so I figured I post a pic.

I built this a couple years ago, cheap cooler + a inverted flashing.

I cut the flashing so it’s just a smidge too small, keeps the machine held tight and directs droplets back into the cooler when I remove it. You can definitely buy something similar. But this DIY was pretty easy and I don’t own power tools.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I've used one a few times and came to a few conclusions. The first being that there are better ways to cook wild game. The second being that there is no easier way to cook wild game.

It is my belief that cooking over fire is the absolute best way to cook meat but if you mess it up, it can be terrible. Sous vide may only be 90% as good as perfectly grilled but it will be 90% of perfect every single time.

10/10 love mine. Sous Vide and finished on the grill has helped me introduce people to wild game meat. I admit to not being the best chef, and it helps with consistency for sure. Bonus is cooking up steaks in the winter when I don't want to stand outside very long!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back