Talk me into a Sous Vide

I have a Joule. It works fine - and if you are OK with tech - it all runs through their app. It hooks up to house wi-fi, so if I leave for a bit I can still check temp, turn it off, etc. I can see where it would be nice to not depend on that, as I've had to update the firmware a couple of times and it would be confusing if you aren't used to those things.

I do enjoy using them - have done small roasts up to a large 9 lb rib roast. I'm firing mine up tonight for a little Christmas project, mainly because I don't want to do a long cook on the stove top.

I've used one a few times and came to a few conclusions. The first being that there are better ways to cook wild game. The second being that there is no easier way to cook wild game.

It is my belief that cooking over fire is the absolute best way to cook meat but if you mess it up, it can be terrible. Sous vide may only be 90% as good as perfectly grilled but it will be 90% of perfect every single time.

This^

It's better for some things than others for sure. For instance, I hate cooking fish in the sous vide but I just finished a corned moose roast and a corned bighorn roast with it. They are incredibly moist instead of slightly dry like you get if they are simmered, the best I have ever made. Just don't make the mistake of assuming a longer time in the sous vide makes for a better final product, too long and your meat will end up with a horrible mushy texture.

Hard to find a better way to cook the most tender and perfectly cooked meat. I haven't experimented with mine too much, but I love it. I don't know how it does with other foods, but for roasts, steaks, loins it's pretty hard to beat.

I got one about two years ago. I like it, but it's not my go to way to cook anything. I prefer the flavor I get from traditional methods, and I have a hard time getting a good sear after I take the meat out of the bag. It has basically been steaming itself and the surface is very wet. I have tried drying it well with paper towels, but once I put it in the cast iron a bunch more liquid comes out.

The best application I have found so far is reheating left over steaks/roasts I have cooked perfectly. Throw it in for 30 minutes at your desired temp and have hot steak that didn't get overcooked when you reheated it.

Buy it...don’t think about it...just buy it.

I bought a breakfast sandwich maker (as seen on TV) and the sous vide is 1000 times better as far as kitchen gadgets and use.

I’ve done rib eyes, t-bones, chuck roast, turkey, chicken, ...all phenomenal. I am a shit hunter so no wild game yet, but eventually. Just had turkey thigh/drumstick last night...best I’ve ever had hands down and stupid easy. Gravy from turkey “drippings” was unreal.

Definitely nice for meal prep, throw a bunch of meat in vacuum bags, season, cook, and freeze for later. Really easy to reheat and sear/broil for dinner. Wish I had one years ago.

Time to revive. My awesome wife got me this one for Christmas.

Throw your favorite recipe at me!
The most basic is set your back strap in a bag with butter and whatever seasonings you like. Set the temp 2-3 degree below what you want the final internal temp to be. I cook mine to medium rare on the beef scale( mine comes with an app that you tell it what's cooking and it sets temp and time for you)

Once sous vide is done, heat cast iron to smoking hot without oil. Remove steak, dry completely with paper towel, like really really dry. Throw some oil in the cast iron and sear both sides. Like a min on each side to get a crust.

Caution, very easy to smoke up the house as a good sear will smoke oil. Not a bad idea to use the grill instead of the cook top.

About the only way I do steak anymore. Perfect doneness with a crispy outside.

Enjoy, and if yours didn't come with an app, get one it makes getting temp and time so easy

Better than smoking it on the Traeger with a meat probe?
Don't have one, so yes by default! Ha

someone else can compare, but I would think similar end result, sous vide has a slight edge on ease and ability to not dry out the meat, but if you go low and slow on the Traeger it's pretty dang close to being the same, at least in my head

I've done back ribs, seafood, chicken, steaks and burgers. Build a recipe book with cooking times. Try shrimp it'll change your life, 131 degrees for 30 minutes. I won't give out my seasoning mix. But damn everything is great Sous Vide. Try veggies. Make potato salad.

I've done back ribs, seafood, chicken, steaks and burgers. Build a recipe book with cooking times. Try shrimp it'll change your life, 131 degrees for 30 minutes. I won't give out my seasoning mix. But damn everything is great Sous Vide. Try veggies. Make potato salad.
If you’re that guarded on your seasoning mix, I assume asking for your hunting honey hole is out of the question? LMFAO 😂

I'm definitely the minority here. I got one a couple years ago since everyone raves about them. I have yet to have a single thing that I preferred sous vide over the smoker or griddle. Some people use it for chicken to technically pasteurize it in the 140s instead of the normal 165 so I gave that a try. I thought I was going to hurl, it was awful.

The most basic is set your back strap in a bag with butter and whatever seasonings you like. Set the temp 2-3 degree below what you want the final internal temp to be. I cook mine to medium rare on the beef scale( mine comes with an app that you tell it what's cooking and it sets temp and time for you)

Once sous vide is done, heat cast iron to smoking hot without oil. Remove steak, dry completely with paper towel, like really really dry. Throw some oil in the cast iron and sear both sides. Like a min on each side to get a crust.

Caution, very easy to smoke up the house as a good sear will smoke oil. Not a bad idea to use the grill instead of the cook top.

About the only way I do steak anymore. Perfect doneness with a crispy outside.

Enjoy, and if yours didn't come with an app, get one it makes getting temp and time so easy
This. Any steak is great to get a perfect cook and an amazing sear by finishing it off in the cast iron. As mentioned, be sure the meat is dried off with a paper towel.

A crowd pleaser here in the house is really any roast through the sous vide and then seared and into a cobb salad. We use the lemon vinaigrette dressing from Rinella. Typically 4 hours or so is the ticket for us on a tough roast. I am usually cooking it in the sous vide at 127 degrees.

Lesson learned on cuts that are already tinder. Do less time. For things like backstrap, we cap that to 2 hours or less. If you do meat too long it comes out super mealy in texture. No bueno.

Fajitas and kabobs are good too. Great way to get some tougher cuts tinder while still being pink on the inside.

Experiment and see what you and the fam like. It’s not a silver bullet but a great tool for a good number of recipes.

I'm definitely the minority here. I got one a couple years ago since everyone raves about them. I have yet to have a single thing that I preferred sous vide over the smoker or griddle. Some people use it for chicken to technically pasteurize it in the 140s instead of the normal 165 so I gave that a try. I thought I was going to hurl, it was awful.
You are in the minority. Doin t it wrong apparently.

Christmas dinner was sous vide of 3 roasts

Bighorn back strap, Elk Back strap, Elk tenderloin.

Stuffed elk back strap with dried cherries, garlic clove slivers Rosemary and pepper.
Rolled bighorn backstrap with same in it and tied it tight. Tenderloin spiced similarly, each in there own foodsaver bag. Sous vide at 130 for 3.5 hours, finished on a super hot griddle on the outdoor gas grill to put a nice char on.

Rested 10 min or so, slided thick, served with sone au jous frim sous vide bag and some horserarish sauce, pureeed parnsips and sauted french green beans.

All turned out great. and tender.

Last edited:
Automatically doing it wrong because I prefer something different? Or maybe you are BBQing wrong because you need to boil your meat? Jk.... kind of haha

I, too, prefer other methods. I used to think it was fantastic and I did make some nice stuffed leg of lamb and other things but honestly it didn't do it for me in the long run. Mine now does Euro mounts.

It's a cult following just like people who think cast iron is some sort of magic (FYI I have like 10 cast iron pots and pans but still use nonstick and carbon steel pans when appropriate)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back