T Bones Alaskan adventures

T Bone

Sept 9th.

Leave Boise for Seattle midday. Seattle to Anchorage. Anchorage to Kotzebue. Raining and blowing, temps in the low 50’s. Walking from the plane to the terminal I turn to take a picture of the plane and TSA grabs me and informs me to get inside NOW. The terminal is a 20x40 room crowded with eager hunters wading through stacks of duffels and rifle/bow cases. We are to overnight in Kotz at a motel about 6 blocks from the airport. We wait for a taxi, while waiting we are solicited by a prostitute that couldn’t have been over 15 years old. Tough place to grow up. The motel is ok. Smelly but mostly clean. We enjoy a dinner at a restaurant.

Sept 10th.

Warm and clear.

Flight on Bering Air from Kotzebue to Noatak Village. It’s a 6 seat Cessna. We are met at the gravel runway by Ben our Eskimo transporter. We pile our gear on a small trailer and we hop on top while he pulls us on an atv. Noatak is a mishmash of small homes, vehicle and boat carcasses, and antlers. The 4 of us hunters divide into 2 boats and start the upriver trek of 3 hours. We watch 4 caribou cross in front of us as an Eskimo family motors into them and wildly empties 2 clips of 9mm. It’s all business with them. Sport isn’t part of it.

We arrive at camp and get set up. We are in a plywood sided bunkhouse with a stove. A separate wall tent for storing gear and foot. Propane stove for cooking.

Sept 11th.

Warm and clear skies.

With hi hopes we head out. Warren and I head to a ridge and glass the river bottom. He spots a lone bull caribou crossing below us about 500 yards. Medium bull.

A few hours later I spot moose antlers flash. He is bedded about ¾ mile away right in a willow flat between 2 rivers. We get landmarks, and scheme a scheme to get in close and call him in.

Once we get down in the willow bottom we discover there are steams rivers and bogs all over the place and we set up and call….nothing…..move and call. Nothing. I think we overshot the stalk and ended up walking right by him.

At camp, Jason and Brent report seeing no moose but quite a few caribou, all bull bachelor herds.

Sept 12th.

Raining and wet

We call for moose in the am with no luck. We motor upriver and see 4 bull caribou crossing, one is a shooter. 3 of us bail and scramble to intersect their line of travel. I stay with boat, the hunting will only get better according to Ben the Eskimo.

3 of the 4 bull caribou go down. One is nice. The other 2 respectable. We spend the rest of the day packing the meat, cape and antlers out.

Sept 13th.

Raining and wet

See a wolf at daybreak about 350 yards out. I dink around too long watching him and when I pull up the rifle he goes back into brush.

Call for moose all day. Nothing

Sept 14th.

Raining and wet

Sit on ridge glassing see 3 moose in far distance on tundra. Small Bullwinkle bull and cow and calf. Acting rutty. Bachelor group of 9 caribou bulls cross river about ½ mile away, I run but can’t get there in time.

Evening hunt finds Warren and I calling for moose in the river bottoms. Warren sees moose antlers before I do. Moose comes in easy. I am watching through binos and I believe he’s barely legal, but leave it to Warren’s choice. His 300 win booms and moose drops. Then his head pops up. Another shot, moose down. We wade river and moose’s head is up again. Another shot he stays down this time. We get the tape on him and then Warren whoops. 53 inch bull. Nice brow tines. The camp is stoked. 1st 2 shots of 180 partition hit shoulder quartering on but didn’t appear to have penetrated into rib cage.

Sept 15th.

Raining and wet

Call for moose all day. Nothing.

Sept 16th.

Raining and wet.

Call for moose all day. At dusk we get a response. Tree raking grunting only 80-100 yards out but can’t see him. We hear the hum of the boat (our ride to camp). Ben, our faithful Eskimo boat man can’t see for crap at night so he likes to leave late in morning and pickup at night with a good hour of light remaining……..it was maddening to hear him clanking around. Moose disappears.

Sept 17th.

Warm and clear. The previous night’s close call inspires us to do more moose calling. Turns out this was THE day to be on the tundra for caribou. Caribou moving everywhere. Caribou were taken right from camp. We were oblivious to it while in the brush choked river bottoms.

Sept 18th.
Raining and cold.

I’m getting desperate, I have a caribou and moose tag unused. We sit on the tundra all day and see a big bull moose out on the tundra way out there. At 3 pm we see 4 big bull bou heading our way. They enter river and we watch with horror as an Eskimo boat rounds the corner and herds them neatly into a bunch and pop them in the noggin.

My stomach is not feeling well as I go to sleep.

Sept 19th.

Raining and cold.

I don’t feel well. We have plans of going after the big tundra bull moose we saw the previous day. We start trudging through the river bottoms to get to him. I then develop the most violent case of the Hershey squirts I’ve ever had. I’m dizzy, taking stops every 5-10 minutes to do my atomic butt pee. We start to get to tundra. This tundra is the kind that is a mass of floating vegetation. We keep trudging and I go to my waist in cold water. Trying to get out of the hole with Brent’s help I was wet all over. We head to some trees and quickly a fire going. I am shivering cold barefoot, with cloths hanging up when another slurry bomb hits. I get her take care of and come back to see mister hipboot on fire. Cabelas should market a less flammable model……

My butt slurries slow down, as I have nothing left to give…..We trudge around the tundra can’t find the moose, but do see a porcupine and a red fox. Then 2 grizz fighting. That was cool to watch.

Its getting towards dark, so we head back through the tundra/swamp river bottoms to catch the boat ride. I’m shivering, cold, wet, achy and my ass was on fire.

I crawl into bed asap to be woken up by outfitter victorious entrance that his two good buddies called in and killed a 71 inch behemoth and a 60 inch from one location. If the rifle would have been in reach I’d of bayoneted him with the barrel. Sore loser fits the description nicely.

Sept 20.

Last day of moose season. I eat breakfast questioning the wisdom of every bite, but it stays in. I hunt the morning solo, but nothing. Outfitter takes us to his honey hole on the last hours of the last day…….(that’s another story for another time). We divide into two groups. Warren and I know how to call, the others don’t. Warren takes Jason, I take Brent. Brent and I have bulls coming in. He hammers a heavy horned 53 incher at 40 yards. He shoots 4 times and shoots it in various locations over the whole body. Even after the shooting 2 other bulls continue to come in raking and grunting. I’m only seconds away from whacking a good one when the wind switches and they scoot. I followed trying to catch up, but no can do. Sun sets on my moose hopes.

We get Brents bull into the boat and the boat is too heavy to plane. 3 of us get out in the raining darkness on a gravel bar. We build a fire and wait. About 2 am we get to camp.

Turns out while we were out on the last night a nice very legal bull moose came right through camp. Pictures were shown as evidence. Nice piece of irony there.

Sept 21.

I still owe outfitter some $. He’s taken a shine to my 338 rum and we trade even. Friggin gun anyhow.

Summary:

Fun hunt altogether. Warren and Brent got nice bull moose. The outfitters 2 friends killed super moose, one an absolute behemoth. Warren, Brent and Jason got nice caribou. I got…….let me think about it…..not a thing.

The feeling coming home from Alaska without pulling a trigger is a bummer. I’m not rich, but I hope to get back someday. When I think that I spent $6k on a sight seeing trip, it makes me ill. If you think I’m a sore loser, I’m ok with that.

I have some reservations about recommending the outfitter(I will go into detail at a later date.)

Lessons learned:

1- Eskimos have huge shits. Ben was seen leaving 2 Hickory farm sausages. Surprised at the lack of a blood trail.
2- I worked too hard for this. I could have parked my butt in camp and tagged out on very nice animals. Save the hard work for lower 48 public land hunts.

3- For moose, nothing more than a 270 or 30-06 is needed. The 270 shot 60 bull dropped on the spot. Everything else required multiple follow-ups.

I’ll provide more details later about my “reservations” after a few communications with my outfitter and share the results here.

T-Bone,

You didn't come back empty, like your sheep hunt, you came back knowing you gave it your all. A cheap bull in camp would not have satisfied you. My hat's off to your effort.

If you want to do it again, for 1/2 that, let's go float a river and get a moose, or two. :rolleyes:

Nice writing and sorry about the outfitter problems.

Well it sounds like you had a decent hunt, with 4 guys taking 5 animals. I know it stinks to come home empty handed, but that just makes the succesful hunts that much more memorable.
Like Elkgunner said, you wouldn't have had as much respect for the camp bull anyway so no real point in shooting him unless you're only hunting for meat. You got the experience and that's what really counts. Congrats.

Great story with awesome detail! Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see the pics. I'm at the edge of my seat waiting to hear about the outfitter.

Elkgunner makes a good point. You don't sound like the type of guy that could stand lazing around camp all day or half-assing it. Think about how bad you'd feel if you'd done that and came back empty handed. You busted your ass and were hit with some very bad luck. Sometimes that happens. Look on the bright side, you had an experience that most people never will and I'll bet you learned a ton. If you choose to do it again the moose and caribou will be in trouble. Thanks for the story.

Told ya fellas ---- ya don't need gigantic 300's 338's 375's for huntin moose.

We locals drop the hammer on moose with 270's, 30-06's and 7mm's routinely here in British Columbia while you fellas come up with those big cannons (chuckle).

On the flip side - its too bad you didn't harvest an animal ... that happens .... I've seen americans drop 25, 000 US on Stone's sheep and not shoot one ..... imagine how that feels if you've saved up for a lifetime for a hunt like that.

For 6 grand - you can have an awsome bull moose hunt right here in BC !!!

BCbucks said:
For 6 grand - you can have an awsome bull moose hunt right here in BC !!!

As opposed to the $6K he spent in AK for an awesome moose and bou combo. I didn't realize BC had 100% success rates on their hunts. :rolleyes:

T-Bone

Sounds like your experience was bittersweet. Nonetheless you and Warren weren't totally unsuccessful. Hopefully you can get back one day for another hunt. Looking forward to some of those pics. Glad you made it home safely.

OVIS ---> I said "awsome" ..... I didn't say 100 percent success rates.

Thats the problem we see with Americans that come up here --- they expect 100 percent results and expect to shoot something. They then get all grumpy and miserable about it. It doesn't happen that way. The hunt should be looked at for the experience and privilege to be hunting and the taking of an animal is a bonus.!!!!

BCbucks said:
OVIS ---> I said "awsome" ..... I didn't say 100 percent success rates.

Thats the problem we see with Americans that come up here --- they expect 100 percent results and expect to shoot something. They then get all grumpy and miserable about it. It doesn't happen that way. The hunt should be looked at for the experience and privilege to be hunting and the taking of an animal is a bonus.!!!!

Interesting how you figured out my problem with your first statement. Which one is it then...should the hunt be about the experience, or should us "dumb" Americans flee to Canada and dump $6K in a hunt that is much more "awesome" then the one T-Bone just experienced?

PS...I like how you edited your first post, dumbass.

Somebody make a Canada Forum and get this monkey-vulva out of here.

T-Bone,
Time will determine if you had a good hunt.
I went to Alaska 2 years in a row for caribou, came home empty both times.
Saw alot but held out for the big one- I have no problem with that.
My outfitter knocked alot off the second hunt when I told him I was disappointed with the first...just a thought.
Congratulations on experiencing paradise!

Sounds just about right. Real life hunting in Alaska. :)

Thanks for sharing, and in my opinon, just because you didn't shoot one, doesn't mean you weren't successful.

Man, its lucky you only sank to your waist, that does not sound like fun to do. Its great there was stuff to burn up that far north, wow. $6K is a lot, but its a great experience too. Heck, what was it $2K for travel, $1K for tags, $3K for adventure for 10 days plus in the arctic. Lots of people spend $300 a day for vacations. I read that main Kotzebue motel is on pilons. If it was on the permafrost, it would melt it and the whole thing sink. Is that the one you were in at Kotzebue, its the main one?

I would have been happy with the moose/caribou from camp, heck it was a camp in the arctic circle and it took days of travel to get there. I'm sure there's plenty of decent country to hunt around camp. Who stayed in camp to report on that?

I don't get why the outfitter wakes your camp up with his friends hunt. Did you get up and go see the moose then or later?

T Bone great story,as long as you live your never forget that experience. Ive been fortunate enough to hunt in Newfoundland,Quebec,Alberta,Northwest Territory and many places in the U.S. For sure theres some beautiful country in North America. The Mackeninze Mountains in the Northwest Territory probably is one of the most beautiful mountain ranges that Ive ever seen. Its pretty cool how the human mind remenbers all those experiences and you can see them like it was yesturday.Can't wait to see your pictures ! Bill, By the way did you hunt with a wood stock or synthetic,golly I hope you say wood !

T Bone... Excellent account of your hunt...I enjoyed every word of it..

I've been on 5 unguided AK hunts and every one is a new adventure...Sounds to me like you got your money's worth, even if you never got the chance to drop the hammer..That's huntin'... Your party harvested a BUNCH of meat...

Too bad about not getting a whack at the moose that went by your camp..

The best place to shoot a moose is as close to the meat pole as possible...Anybody that tells you otherwise has never had to deal with one of those big bastards piled up on the tundra miles from camp... You sure EARNED your moose, even if you had ended up shooting one from your sleeping bag...

"we are solicited by a prostitute that couldn’t have been over 15 years old." Just curious what the Going rate for a 15 Year old Kotzebue Hottie was ? Although you're happily married, don't tell me none of you were messing with them and Negotiating with them just for fun ?!?!? :D

T-bone , I saw some pictures at this end, I was gunna steal them from Warren tomorrow night and Post them. Maybe have him tell a bit about his "side" of the Adventure.

I wasn't there and don't know all the ins/outs but I think you're looking at the 6k like alot of money for nothing. I know my dad and me dumped Well over 6k each after it was all said and done and maybe I look at it Different because I was lucky and Got a Moose but never seeing a Bull bou' kind of Sucked a$$. And we had no "WORKING" of bulls like you guys had. We saw one, Dumped it, and never heard of saw antoher one......

I'd almost say if you wrote all the events down under good,bad, with catagories : my fault,Guides fault, and Chit happens colums see how the trip went based on that. I would actually like to see that list when you're done. Like others have said, Some people have dropped 25k+ on hunts and get Skunked.

I couldn't emagine the "atomic butt pee" on a Drop camp hunt, or any hunt for that matter. That would surely be the Chits. (No pun intended ;) )

Looks like you need to draw Idaho Sheep again, I'll go with ya, and We'll change your luck !!!!! Glad you're back home safe, Your buddy Tom worried alot while you were gone about Bears eating you !! BTW, How many Black bear did you guys see ?

That goes in the good column, no bear attacks, right? That would have been in the story. Saw a wolf, that's amazing and on the good side, worth maybe $5. Alaska is expensive.

Folks,

The hunt was fantastic. My poor luck doesn't change that fact. We saw some nice bull caribou, not even one cow or calf. Overall, I saw more moose than anyone else on the trip. I just couldn't close the deal.

I saw 3 griz. And for Tejas Tom, I saw around 150 black bear. They are like prairie dogs up there.

Overall the outifitter ran a very good camp. Food and facilities were as advertised or even better. I only have 2 issues with the services provided that may be discussed at a later time.

If/when I make it up there again I want to DIY. That way if something comes up short, I only have myself to blame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back