Switching Dog Breeds

Have a GSP and Drahthaar currently. Both great dogs in their own way.
How is the pup doing? I’m guessing by the time your Draht hits 18 months or so you’ll really see the personality difference.

I've had 2 chocolate labs. Being an equal parts waterfowl and upland hunter, they are sure hard to beat. I have considered and will still consider a "bearded" dog breed of the german variety, but hard for me to move away from labs. I've got the name for my next dog, just need to decide breed. Hopefully I have another 5 years or so before I need to make that decision.

I loved my brittany so much that I don't think I'd be able to get anything else when it comes time to get another hunting dog. My wife has a corgi. It took a long time, but that barky, sassy little thing sure has grown on me.

ah man ive had all kinds of different breeds growing up

first dog was a golden retriever - great retriever (obviously) not much good for much else other then a wonderful companion not a ton of prey drive. (just my experience)

two australian shepards - those dogs were awful. They did what they were bred for well and that didnt work for us when I was a kid. Also had a problem with them killing chickens. Also tore the head off a show goose (didnt know that was a thing).

Cockerspanial/rotty mix (wtf) - that dog was a rabbit hunting machine, one of the best I've ever had. Also the sweetest dog you could ever ask for.

German Shepard - not my cup of tea.

Great Dane - purely just a pet, utterly worthless for anything but scaring solicitors. So far my favorite dog ive ever had, best pet you could ask for.

(current) Wenier dog (wifes) - he sucks.....BUT if he was like normal dog sized would be a bad ass hunting dog. Hates everything thats not human. List of things this little sucker has killed - Rabbits (countless), chicken, Turkey(small one), Squirrel, rat, woodchuck(holy shit), Killed a bunch of baby robins that fell out of the tree, Snakes. Keep in mind he is 12 years old and has no teeth. I've never had a dog with more pray drive.

(current) English foxhound.. I think - zero prey drive unless its a cat. Super sweet dog tho and a really good hiking companion.

One other that stick out in my head was my Grandpas beagle, that thing killed more Woodchucks then you could imagine. Beastly dog.

I can not tell you how many dogs I've/we've owned in my life time.
Right now have a Black Mouth Cur. Would like to find a small breed of dog next time. Who knows?

We've had Blue Heelers, Kemmer Stock Mtn Curs, Walker hound, Red Tick hound, Redbone hound. Been around Springer Spaniels and German Short Hairs( that was a life time ago). Not set on any one breed of dog. Have had some great dogs in all of these breeds and some that are so so.

As for Black Labs I don't like them either. Never have. Nothing wrong with them just don't like how they look fat all the time. I know that is how they are made.

If someone could suggest any breed of dog that is around the 30lb size and that is a hunting type dog let me know. No bird dogs can't keep up with them.

Our Black Mouth was suppose to be around 35-40lb range. He's 78lbs and a moose. Somewhere in the genes he has a big grand daddy.
I have an English Cocker Spaniel and he is just under 30lbs. His small size means he can get into and under anything to get birds in the air!

I have 2 b&t hounds. 2 walker hounds. 2 beagles. Also a half b&t half plott hound. And 2 jack russels. They all are different and have their own unique qualities. My recommendation would be, stay open minded.

We thought of jags but don't think the budget would let us in either buying one or vet bills. Also thought of Jack Russels also the same thing cost of buying one and vet bills.
We're in our 60's and the thought of keeping one of these jet fueled little guys busy and wore out just might kill us or get us in shape which would probably kill us too.

What's with people thinking they own something and selling the pups for extreme prices? Just don't think we can or will pay big money for a dog that could die tomorrow.
Give a Rat Terrier a try - good prey drive, good nose, but not the suicidal crazy kill drive of a Jagd or JRT. RTs have an off switch, which neither Jagds or JRTs do. Ours is a Decker Rat Terrier, on the small side at 28 pounds, but a tank and a good little buddy.

Started out with GSP when I was a kid , he was a present from my parents , then I tried Britts and they were both really good dogs but I went back to GSP’s through the nineties had two labs in between those years. I had 5 English pointers from 2003 to 2017 two of them were the best dogs I ever owned Tiger and Star both lived up to their names. Back to two GSP’s. For my needs now I’ll probably go to a Lab , Labs are much like pizza, from the best to the worst of it , it’s still pretty good . Never had or know of a bad one.

Dog selection on some of these smaller breeds here in Idaho are very limited. If you do find one they want way more money than we are prepared to pay.
Love the Griffons but there again few breeders and they are starting their pups at $1800 and up. Way out of our range.
Knowing us if we can find the right size might go back to the Australian Blue heelers.
Who knows? Our dog now is 8 years old and getting over a major wreck from this summer. Fell out of a side by side and pulled his ankle. After a $2800 operation to fix it and 8 weeks of doing nothing we're slowly letting him out to exercise a little more. Go in Monday for x-ray to see if the ankle has fused together and healing correctly.

Prefer not to be around any type of bird dogs. They just don't interest us. I know Griffons are a hunting bird type dog. Friends have one now and she is a high octane dog compared to their other ones they have had. I just like them.

I was raised on CBR and have always loved them for their unstoppable drive and attitudes, but in the process of trying to convince my wife we belong in the Black Hills I’ve started to entertain the idea of a GWP or a likewise versatile breed.

So I grew up with English Pointers as a kid. In August and early September they got used like hounds on deer, and in Nov. Dec. we would go occasionally hunt pheasants or Quail in the Sacramento valley or San Joaquin foothills. It was fun but there was no real training...just instinct.
1630528800957.png1630528774141.png

Then I got a Border collie and started training her on cattle. OH MY... What a combination of instinct, intelligence , ability and desire to please. Now My Dad has an E-collar and has gotten professional help on training his pointers as bird dogs. Makes a difference, but they will never be as ON IT as the Border collies.

I grew up as a pheasant hunter so GSPs were my choice of dog. They worked great for quail, grouse and chukers as well as being pretty good at retrieving ducks. But as the pheasant disappeared around here I spent more time waterfowl hunting so I switched to labs. Now I do less waterfowl hunting and more quail and grouse and my lab works ok but her legs just aren't what they used to be (Kinda like me). Now I like the idea of another shorthair but I don't think I have the stamina and energy for a young GSP anymore.

I grew up as a pheasant hunter so GSPs were my choice of dog. They worked great for quail, grouse and chukers as well as being pretty good at retrieving ducks. But as the pheasant disappeared around here I spent more time waterfowl hunting so I switched to labs. Now I do less waterfowl hunting and more quail and grouse and my lab works ok but her legs just aren't what they used to be (Kinda like me). Now I like the idea of another shorthair but I don't think I have the stamina and energy for a young GSP anymore.
Sounds like a Drahthaar or GWP could cover both for you.

My entire childhood growing up, we had English Springer Spaniels, and my parents and siblings still do. My wife grew up with English Setters so obviously this summer when we brought home a puppy we compromised and got an English Setter.

Excited to jump into the pointing dog world, but I'll have a springer in my string again at some point.

I was hunting plotts for about 12 to 1t years but then got a Catahula Cur. I enjoy my time in the woods so much more with the Curs. Smart, and only bark once when they get on a track next time you hear them they are looking at the hog or bear. I started out chasing bears but really loved hog hunting so switched. Bought from a great breeder and these dogs were perfect for me because. They had the instinct built in and every hunt they were at the kill site even if I didn't get there in time. The plotts with there big mouths would run all day and sometimes never catch up to the bear. Had about ten plotts before switching and now have 4 Curs. Someone mentioned a dog about 35 pounds. I had a Mointain Cur that weighed in at 35 pounds on the money. He wS the only mountain cur I ever had but he was also maybe my favorite dog. He had no idea he was so small, he thought he was a tiger and took hours after the hunt to get right again more grit pound for pound then any dog I have ever seen but took him till he was 3 to mature into a great hunter he broke my heart when he died at 15. Here's a pic of my favorite current Catahula (if it works)

Attachments

• 20210615_080223.jpg
    20210615_080223.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
2 yellow labs in my career so far. I love em and will probably stick with them, but a brittany is not out of the realm of possibilities.
As a kid my dad always had brittanys but i cant seem to find one as an adult for sale here in fl so now i have yellow labs. Either way you cant go wrong

I’ve had 2 labs and they’ve been great family dogs and hunters. I have been giving thought to getting a puddlepointer. The Hangul for me is the fact that my labs would go into the thickest, nastiest thorns and cattails to flush pheasants. Not sure I wanna go in to some of that with a pointer.

Back