Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Switching Dog Breeds

RyeGuy74

Hey, I'm just seeing how many people have switched between dog breeds throughout their hunting careers? Some of my hunting friends think it happens a lot, while some think most people find a breed they love and never leave it!

I started out with hounds as a kid hunting coons/bobcats, 2nd dog was a black lab for waterfowl/upland, and have gotten two hounds since then, one passed away last summer. I plan to get another Leopard Hound this fall and maybe a Gordon Setter in a few years for grouse/pheasant hunting. If you have two or three really good hunting dogs in your life you are really fortunate.

Growing up, there was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever at the marina my parents kept their boat at in NC. Never knew who owned it, but it would fetch anything, including rocks sunk to the bottom, from anyone who threw it.
I’ve had Chesapeake Bay Retrievers for almost 5 decades. My current dog is 14 years old, and getting close to the end. Not certain if I‘ll have another one or not. My wife has a spoiled Yellow Lab that keeps the house exciting !

Six Labs since 1964. After my wife and son's sudden deaths eleven years ago I decided to get a third dog to "keep me busy." Went with something different, a French Brittany. Great little dog. Then back to another black Lab when the older of two Labs died six years ago. Just the two dogs now. Ellie will probably be my last one. I'm pushing seventy. But who knows, maybe not. My brother who's already seventy just picked up a lovely yellow Lab pup with TONS of personality.

I wouldn't mind trying another breed but it may not happen. I'm on 30 years of labs with 27 being with my last two chocolates. Just getting started with the third chocolate, an 11 week old, now.

Always had labs and mostly duck hunt, so that works well. They are easy to train and easy to handle. There are times, though, that I think about a pointing breed. Hunting upland birds over a classy GSP has its appeal.

If this was the dark ages we would have to burn you at the stake for that comment, but it's 2021 so ur safe.

My first lab (yellow) tried to hump everything it encountered, trees, vehicles, people’s legs, other dogs male or female, whatever. Eventually became pretty good. the thing I couldn’t stand the most, it was a whiner, 50 degrees and that bastard was like a sniveling little baby. Our second lab (chocolate) my daughter won at a cdfg jr hunt as a prize. He was “trained”. Lol.. shoot the bird, dog casually trots out and picks it up and brings it back.. no hurry.. shoot second bird dog looks at you and lays down. Lol. Like I’m not goin out there again. Brought him to Montana and soon as it hit 45 degrees he would start whining. Same chit, daughters brought him a blankie once, still cried half the time.. pathetic.. somewhere there is a picture of him with my daughters parakeet walking around on his head, the horror! Pathetic.. lol. My Goldens, no way man, smarter, more driven, and no problem in the cold. Some buddies got some great labs and lab pointer mixes but either I’ve just not been lucky or maybe a house full of girls just ruins labs. Great family dogs.

GSP to Vizsla, back to GSP. Loved all three dogs. Would be open to any good pointing breed.

Another Male black lab guy. You get out what you put in to them. I don’t know my ass from my elbow when it comes to training but we’ve figured each other out. Countless hours and miles together has developed communication. It’s not all daisies, sometimes I think he frustrates me so I crack a cold one, in hopes he gets a taste!

I will never win a ribbon with him but we’ll find the ugliest way to get it done and have a blast doing it. They’re a true partner!

Back