Caribou Gear Tarp

Is the Labrador breed heading in the wrong direction?

OntarioHunter

Newfoundland's Finance Minister just won "Best of Breed" at the Westminster Dog Show with this Labrador retreiver. How long would that stumpy legged barrel chested thing last hunting in the field? Pfft! I am concerned this kind of show breeding will ruin the world's most popular and arguably best hunting dog. A few on here have lived long enough to remember how the dog show crowd ruined the Irish setter. Didn't do the German shepherd breed any favors either. But really, the Labrador retreiver? Is nothing sacred?
fabian-negron-and-beau-the-labrador-retriever.jpg

Newfoundland's Finance Minister just won "Best of Breed" at the Westminster Dog Show with this Labrador retreiver. How long would that stumpy legged barrel chested thing last hunting in the field? Pfft! I am concerned this kind of show breeding will ruin the world's most popular and arguably best hunting dog. A few on here have lived long enough to remember how the dog show crowd ruined the Irish setter. Didn't do the German shepherd breed any favors either. But really, the Labrador retreiver? Is nothing sacred?
View attachment 227362
looks like my wifes fat wenier dog.

I wouldn't give him a body condition score of a 5. Maybe if he was a 5 he would look better.

I am fairly certain that whatever English Setter won best in breed, it does not look like the dogs I've owned.

Horses for courses, I would not lose sleep over it.

Show dogs & working dogs are always different.

As for which is better, English or American, I choose both. Chunk (Chocolate) is 1/2 Am, 1/2 English & hunts like an english - plodding, nose down & slow. Groot (black) is American and is 900 pounds of lighting in a 90 pound sack. Both working together cover great ground & put up birds in each style for flushers.

Show dogs aren't hunters, by and large. Trial dogs, sure, but show dogs are too precious for real world work.

1656093036850.png

As for which is better, English or American, I choose both. Chunk (Chocolate) is 1/2 Am, 1/2 English & hunts like an english - plodding, nose down & slow. Groot (black) is American and is 900 pounds of lighting in a 90 pound sack. Both working together cover great ground & put up birds in each style for flushers.

Show dogs aren't hunters, by and large. Trial dogs, sure, but show dogs are too precious for real world work.

View attachment 227390
They pass the lab vibe check.

I think you'll end up with a show line and a field line. That's what Springer's have done as well.

Show meets all the breed standards that the AKC wants to see in the ring. The field line doesn't care about looks, breeds for optimal hunting above all.

The longer it goes on, the more stark the differences between the two lines.

AKC registry of a dog breed has NEVER been beneficial to the working ability of the breed as a whole.

My exposure has been the Border collie breed. Bred for centuries strictly for working ability on stock. Then AKC comes along and messes up a good thing. ABCA, the remaining breed registry won't allow AKC registered dogs in a pedigree.

The ABCA registers about 20,000 border collies–and only border collies–per year. The hundred year old International Sheep Dog Society registry in the UK registers around 6,000 border collies per year, and the two registries recognize each other’s papers with good faith and both bill themselves as the working border collie registry. The ABCA requires the breeder to register the entire litter at once, so even dogs that are not going to be bred are registered.​
In comparison, the AKC registers just over 2,100 border collies per year, although this figure doesn’t count the numerous unregistered Border Collies that compete in Obedience, Rally, Agility, Herding, Tracking, etc. that are given Indefinite Listing Privilege numbers that allow participation in AKC events without being fully registered with the AKC. The AKC does not require that breeders register their entire litter, leaving this option up to puppy buyers, so not every puppy in every litter ends up on the books.​

Read more: http://www.border-wars.com/2008/12/border-collie-war-abca-vs-akc.html#ixzz7X9ivjur1

Can we register our dogs with the AKC?​

Yes, if you must. They will accept your ABCA registration papers as a basis for AKC registration. This recognition is not reciprocal, however; we do not accept AKC registration or AKC pedigrees as a basis for ABCA registration.

English vs American, American is IMO the better hunting breed View attachment 227363View attachment 227365
Nope - English are smarter, calmer, better nose, easier to train to point if you want that feature, better family pets for the 340 days a year a guy isn't bird hunting. Don't confuse hyper and irritating with productive hunting drive. My only caveat is they run hot so not ideal for southern early season hunts.

I prefer a big American/polar bear. He was definitely hyper as a puppy and doesn’t understand that lap dogs shouldn’t be 90 pounds, but he loves to hunt and loves sitting on the couch with his people when he’s not hunting.

DBB2C012-B024-47CC-8387-9B1769C29328.jpeg

Last edited:
IDK, I bet 2016 could hunt the shit outta some sharpies.

1656105526321.png

1656105492814.png

I don't get the non-working/hunting/guard dogs. I'll only ever own pointing dogs the rest of my life. Our current dog has impressed me so much.

edit: besides @Ben Lamb you had to know using "always" that someone would call you out. This IS the internet.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back