Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Switching Dog Breeds

Houndsmen seem to get set on one breed but I have been the opposite. I have had pretty much every breed of hound out there. Currently I have a Black and Tan and a blue tick. I think I will probably settle in with blue ticks if I can find a female to breed my male too. Other than that my favorite hound breed is one who handles well and catches game. I have had 1 black lab which was a great family dog but one or both of us were too lazy to make her a good hunting dog.

I can not tell you how many dogs I've/we've owned in my life time.
Right now have a Black Mouth Cur. Would like to find a small breed of dog next time. Who knows?

We've had Blue Heelers, Kemmer Stock Mtn Curs, Walker hound, Red Tick hound, Redbone hound. Been around Springer Spaniels and German Short Hairs( that was a life time ago). Not set on any one breed of dog. Have had some great dogs in all of these breeds and some that are so so.

As for Black Labs I don't like them either. Never have. Nothing wrong with them just don't like how they look fat all the time. I know that is how they are made.

If someone could suggest any breed of dog that is around the 30lb size and that is a hunting type dog let me know. No bird dogs can't keep up with them.

Our Black Mouth was suppose to be around 35-40lb range. He's 78lbs and a moose. Somewhere in the genes he has a big grand daddy.

A little off topic, but I almost got a griffon this winter to go with my lab. I read some stupid article about cost of dog over lifetime. No wonder I've never saved enough for a sheep hunt.

Started with beagles as a kid. Graduated to pointing dogs as an adult. Started with a field bred weimaraner then got a Deutsche kurzhaar. Will go back with a DK next time, but would be happy with most continental versatile breeds.

I can not tell you how many dogs I've/we've owned in my life time.
Right now have a Black Mouth Cur. Would like to find a small breed of dog next time. Who knows?

We've had Blue Heelers, Kemmer Stock Mtn Curs, Walker hound, Red Tick hound, Redbone hound. Been around Springer Spaniels and German Short Hairs( that was a life time ago). Not set on any one breed of dog. Have had some great dogs in all of these breeds and some that are so so.

As for Black Labs I don't like them either. Never have. Nothing wrong with them just don't like how they look fat all the time. I know that is how they are made.

If someone could suggest any breed of dog that is around the 30lb size and that is a hunting type dog let me know. No bird dogs can't keep up with them.

Our Black Mouth was suppose to be around 35-40lb range. He's 78lbs and a moose. Somewhere in the genes he has a big grand daddy.
Here is a smaller hunting dog you might consider. https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/jagdterrier/ https://americanjagdterrier.com/ I was around a bunch in Germany when stationed there and they are BEASTS. A little bit shy of the 30lbs but they don't stop.

Not all labs are built like that, ake a look at American Labs rather than the English ones. They look more like traditional upland dogs vs short and blocky for the English ones.
As for smaller breed, a Brittany would be around 30-40 pounds and are excellent upland hunters.

We thought of jags but don't think the budget would let us in either buying one or vet bills. Also thought of Jack Russels also the same thing cost of buying one and vet bills.
We're in our 60's and the thought of keeping one of these jet fueled little guys busy and wore out just might kill us or get us in shape which would probably kill us too.

What's with people thinking they own something and selling the pups for extreme prices? Just don't think we can or will pay big money for a dog that could die tomorrow.

We both had labs growing up. Our first dog together was some sort of GSP mix, great dog. Then we saw some british show and fell in love, having no idea they were also gaining popularity in the US as a hunting breed...

Ada is our 5 month old Bracco Italiano.

20210723_204431.jpg

20210724_074604.jpg

IMG_7074.jpg

20210724_075701.jpg

We both had labs growing up. Our first dog together was some sort of GSP mix, great dog. Then we saw some british show and fell in love, having no idea they were also gaining popularity in the US as a hunting breed...

Ada is our 5 month old Bracco Italiano.

View attachment 191458

View attachment 191459

View attachment 191460

View attachment 191461
I seen a video with a guy hunting grouse with these dogs. Are they pointers or flushers? I bet they have a great tracking ability. Do they only hunt birds?

Griffon, Munsterlander, Viszla (field trialer). Won’t ever buy another versatile, but def another vizsla (field trialer) or maybe a setter or GSP (field trialer) in next couple years.

Since the 80s I’ve had shorthairs. Horseback style so big running dogs. Not against a pointer but the rest have too much hair.
Ive also got beagles. At one time 14 dogs, often 10 plus. Never different than those 2 breeds though. Not so much a love thing. Nothing chases a rabbit like a beagle. The rest are compromised in some way. Bird dog’s it’s about the hair length

I've had two Goldens and 1 lab. Its Goldens for me from here on out. Maybe....Maybe mix in a different breed at some point just for fun, but I will always have a working Golden.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back