Swarovski SLC vs EL vs NL

glass eye

I had all three 10 x 42s layed out on the counter and couldn't see any difference other than price. Wish I could have turned the lights off but I'm certain that the store wouldn't go for that.
Maybe it's just my old eyes.
Anybody got some experience lining up all 3 ?

I don't think you are going to see much difference in any brand staying inside the store. You need to get them outside and not mid day. Haven't had a chance to look through the NL's but I don't think I will be disappointed. I don't think you will go wrong with any of those.

I had SLC 10x42 and nl 10x42 side by side on tripods this weekend and the NL is noticeably better edge to edge, FOV, and brightness. I own the SLC’s and a buddy has the NL’s....my wife looked through them and said she is buying the NL.

Agreed with what was said above. You won't see any difference inside the store with good light. Outside in low light is the only way you'll be able to get a good comparison. Even better if you can get them on a tripod.

You may see some differences inside the store but it just depends on what you're looking for. For instance, the SLC vs the EL comparison. Without leaving the store you should notice a difference in eye relief(EL is better), field of view if there is any, any presence of tunneling, and the swarovision in the EL should be noticeable as well. I think the hinge is better quality in the ELs over the SLCs as well. Some people, a minority of people, are affected by the rolling ball effect of the EL.

I've owned both the SLC and the EL and light transmission between the two is only slightly different, most of the time barely even perceptible. Other factors were what I based my decision on. The eye relief of the SLC did not work for me. Twilight factor (magnification's roll in seeing in low light) was also a big factor for me and is a major reason why I choose 12x binos. Exit pupil size isn't always the determining factor in light transmission, so don't let that number alone influence you too much.

I have not looked through the NL's yet so I can't provide direct feedback. No doubt they're an awesome bino. I already have ELs and my guess is there isn't a big enough difference to justify upgrading. However, if you're buying your first set of swaros and the NLs are in your budget it probably makes sense to buy those over the ELs if they check all the boxes. Then again, the release of the NL has resulted in a price drop for the ELs, and to me that makes the EL an incredible value for a top tier bino.

If you find yourself reading reviews, be aware of who's sponsored by swarovski. People like Jay scott outdoors, the outdoorsman, and others will always tell you the newest is the best. They might be right, but they're also biased.

My guess is the biggest optical difference between the EL and the NL is the field of view. Swarovski prioritized this with the release of the TX series spotting scopes as well. Everyone got caught up on the modularity but even swarovski reps were most excited about the FOV being bigger and less tunneling when working throughout the magnification range.

Last edited:
and then add that it's sub 30 ounces for a 12x... Ooh I bet it's beautiful to gaze through.
I just looked through the NLs last night. They're awesome, but it's a swaro so...

I won't be selling my 12x50s over 5.5 oz. Personally I like the ergos of the 12x50 better, just felt better in my hands. I didn't get to try them with the forehead rest though.

One thing I didn't realize is that swaro only lowered the prices for the 8.5x42 and 10x42 ELs. The 10x50 and 12x50 ELs are still like 2800. Which makes me think that they are acknowleding the 50 objs have some performance benefit over the 42 obj NLs. 30% more surface area on the 50mm objs of the EL must be something the NLs can't totally make up for with lens coatings and prism configuration.

I've had all three in 10x42, and they are all impressive. The NL's had a fantastic view, but for me there eye cups had too many adjustments and eye placement seemed more critical.
Since for hunting I mainly use RF binos I still use my Geovids the most, then I have 12x50 EL's for tripod use and for non hunting binos I still really enjoy the view through my 8.5x42 EL SV's.

I've looked through all 3 side by side and have the NL. The biggest advantages the NL has over the EL is the FOV, ergos, and for some people the fact that they relaxed the field flattening a little. I'm sure there are technically advantages with chromatic aberration, edge to edge clarity, light transmission, etc, but they are very hard to distinguish to my eyes. You can start to make out some of the differences a little more when comparing the NL to the SLC, but the differences are still pretty minimal. The field of view for me is the real game changer with the NL. When sitting glassing you can see so much more country without moving which could realistically translate to more game found. Plus when you're in thick country it just makes it a little easier to pick up an animal in the brush. At the end of the day they're all great choices.

I’m enough of a tightwad, and all 3 are so good, I bought the SLCs once I realized that if I dropped my pair in a lake I could buy a replacement pair and break even with the NLs

I’m enough of a tightwad, and all 3 are so good, I bought the SLCs once I realized that if I dropped my pair in a lake I could buy a replacement pair and break even with the NLs
I’ve always thought the slc’s were nicer than the el. El’s are heavy, darker, and have that dumb rolling ball affect.

I've have a set of SLC 10x42's that are about 20 years old. I had a set of 8x30's before those and they were a great glass nice and lite. I sold the 8x30's to fund the 10x42's. Wished I could have kept them but that wasn't possible at the time.
So Friday I was in Sportsman's Warehouse and there was a pair of 10x42 NL next to a pair of 10x42 EL. So the guy behind the counter wanted to help me, well I do need a lot of help but that's another story lol. So I said yes I'd like to look at the NL's and compare them to the EL's. So out they come and I glanced at the prices and thought crap don't drop them you can't afford that. Anyway Checking them out in the store the thing that was most noticeable was the greater field of view the NL's had. It seemed like they also were just a tad brighter but it is hard to tell. Both were the quality you come to expect from Swarovski.
My old SLC's may not measure up to the NL's but they are not that far behind. Their biggest advantage is they are at home and paid for. They have never left me wanting or feeling I need anything better.

Please elaborate? I don't understand
When panning with the El’s, the image looks as though it’s being wrapped around a sphere, instead of just being flat. It’s extremely distracting. I don’t understand why everyone doesn’t notice it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back