Caribou Gear

Suppressed Hunting Rifle Video

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Many have asked about some pics they saw of me shooting a suppressed rifle in Alaska. We did a video on that at the link below.

I was warned by @brockel that after shooting a suppressed rifle that I would likely make that my standard protocol. Yup, he was correct. Fortunately, the Howa Superlite is a compact rifle that makes a suppressor very manageable with weight, balance, and length.

For the sake of your hearing and of those who are with you, I hope you will consider a suppressor for your rifle. Yeah, getting one is a PITA, but worth it.

This one is a Nosler 30-ALTI. Specs and prices at that link.

Yeah, getting one is a PITA, but worth it.
Its not really that painful, just a little time consuming on your purchase day. Just show up with your "passport" photos that they will attach to your application and its just a lot of pieces of paperwork that they have to fill out for you at the counter. You submit all your fingerprints and pay for it. After that you just wait till they call you and you go and pick it up.

Its not really that painful, just a little time consuming on your purchase day. Just show up with your "passport" photos that they will attach to your application and its just a lot of pieces of paperwork that they have to fill out for you at the counter. You submit all your fingerprints and pay for it. After that you just wait till they call you and you go and pick it up.
It is just inconvenient and the frustrating variability in time that it takes to get it approved! So many good options with them now and with electronic forms even easier. My extended family is all getting them now. I know at least one manufacturer is dabbling with a new quick release for them so it is going to be even easier to take with and use on multiple rifles.

I love it in theory. Less noise & less recoil? Who wouldn’t want that?

Spending $500+ AND the $200 tax stamp, for what could be seen (especially by my wife) as luxuries, makes getting on board a bit harder.
Its a one time purchase and you'll have it forever, sort of like her wedding ring. Try that angle :ROFLMAO:

I love it in theory. Less noise & less recoil? Who wouldn’t want that?

Spending $500+ AND the $200 tax stamp, for what could be seen (especially by my wife) as luxuries, makes getting on board a bit harder.
This is the same issue I’ve been fighting, plus all the rifles I already have in the safe that aren’t threaded.

Suppressed hunting is the way to go. Saves your and your hunting partners hearing,allows you to hear bullet impact, and possibly more likely to get a second shot in. Kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Got one form four can, and working on getting two form one cans.

I understand the cost issues. Those are real.

If I knew it was this helpful and I could have done it 30 years ago when money was tighter, I would still have done it had I known how frustrating it would be to have impaired hearing. I suspect a suppressed hunting rifle is one of those things for many, including myself, where the eventual response will be, "Why didn't I do this earlier?"

Its a one time purchase and you'll have it forever, sort of like her wedding ring. Try that angle :ROFLMAO:
She picked out her own wedding ring, and it cost significantly less than a suppressor would. She balked at the big fancy ones, and picked a very plain ring in the $400 ball park. Most days she wears a $25 band from the local market.

I married a very frugal woman, and it can cause friction with my not-so-inexpensive hobbies lol.

She picked out her own wedding ring, and it cost significantly less than a suppressor would. She balked at the big fancy ones, and picked a very plain ring in the $400 ball park. Most days she wears a $25 band from the local market.

I married a very frugal woman, and it can cause friction with my not-so-inexpensive hobbies lol.
Start saying "what" after everything she says then. You can start pointing out that your hearing is going then and she will be forced into allowing you to buy a suppressor. You know, for the sake of your health and all.

Suppressed rifles sure are much more pleasant to be around. Much, much more. I haven’t added any to my hunting rifles, and doubt I will due to cost, but if you’re young and your hearing is still undamaged I’d darned sure do it.

My hearing in my left ear is trashed due to not wearing hearing protection with chainsaws and such. Now I try to put in earplugs when hunting, or at least have a beanie covering my ears.

Start saying "what" after everything she says then. You can start pointing out that your hearing is going then and she will be forced into allowing you to buy a suppressor. You know, for the sake of your health and all.
I’ll let you know how that goes.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back