Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cartridge for 18" barrel?

I did read his criteria Bill.
One of his claims also was for not gunking up his supressor with unburned powder also.
Was kinda a tongue in cheek way of saying i'm not sure he's gonna find a cartridge/bullet/powder combo to accomplish his wish list.

To get the speed, and bullet weight for the velocity/energy required and not clog a supressor is going to probably require a longer barrel, so that he could get full use of a slower burning powder.

Alas, unless Vikingguy has a barrel maker in his basement, it's gonna be about April/May of 2022 before he sees a barrel, IF he orders now.

I did read his criteria Bill.
One of his claims also was for not gunking up his supressor with unburned powder also.
Was kinda a tongue in cheek way of saying i'm not sure he's gonna find a cartridge/bullet/powder combo to accomplish his wish list.

To get the speed, and bullet weight for the velocity/energy required and not clog a supressor is going to probably require a longer barrel, so that he could get full use of a slower burning powder.

Alas, unless Vikingguy has a barrel maker in his basement, it's gonna be about April/May of 2022 before he sees a barrel, IF he orders now.
Lots of people shoot big magnums with suppressors. I shot a full match next to a guy with a suppressed 300RUM. I couldn’t tell you how it compared to suppressing something smaller as I’ve never heard two different guns suppressed side by side, but the 300RUM was impressively quite in my opinion. Yes the barrel was longer than 18”, BUT the entire rig not was not insanely long, so the barrel couldn’t have been very long. I doubt the case capacity to bore volume ratio was completely outside the realm of an 18” 280Rem, which would meet his criteria.

If he plugged up his suppressor, it still offered substantial noise reduction.

Last edited:
Status update - I have ordered a pre-fit 18" threaded carbon barrel chambered in 7x57AI 1:9". I have all the rest of the rifle on hand. Need to start sourcing reloading stuff. And wait for the barrel . . . .
What barrel company did you go with? I've been following your thread as I want to do something similar.

Also, do you know what suppressor your going with?

Why 7x57AI over 280Rem or 280AI? Just curious. Should be excellent. Quite a bit more punch than a 7mm-08, not quite a 280Rem. AI’s are fun. 57mm brass is a pain to find, which is a shame because I like 57mm cartridge so much.

Following…as such I know that the military version of the 308, the 7.62x51 was designed for 20” barrel. Also yes the 280AI & 7SAUM are ballistic twins.

Going short barrel, it might be advisable to make up for a loss of velocity with added kinetic energy (and just a bigger hole in the hide) with a bigger bore. I've always been kind of a .308 guy as a general-purpose rifle, but you might even consider something like a .338 Federal.

That said, there's probably nothing wrong with a 7mm-08, but as I think you implied, going to something with a bigger casing would probably blast un-ignited powder out the muzzle with a barrel that short. Sounds like an interesting project, though.

Going short barrel, it might be advisable to make up for a loss of velocity with added kinetic energy (and just a bigger hole in the hide) with a bigger bore. I've always been kind of a .308 guy as a general-purpose rifle, but you might even consider something like a .338 Federal.

That said, there's probably nothing wrong with a 7mm-08, but as I think you implied, going to something with a bigger casing would probably blast un-ignited powder out the muzzle with a barrel that short. Sounds like an interesting project, though.
I've been considering building an integrally suppressed. 375 Raptor lately.

Why 7x57AI over 280Rem or 280AI? Just curious. Should be excellent. Quite a bit more punch than a 7mm-08, not quite a 280Rem. AI’s are fun. 57mm brass is a pain to find, which is a shame because I like 57mm cartridge so much.
(a) balancing powder capacity with short barrel + suppressor and the 7x57 seemed the sweet spot; (b) I like AIs; (c) @Ben Lamb approves ;)

5tf30r.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back