Sunny Boy, Rest Easy

MTelkHuntress

FB_IMG_1672199308365.jpg
Sunny was the best pup I could have asked for. He was my first dog and will always hold a special place in my heart. I cared so very much for him. He was with me for most of my life and was around for many milestones. I remember begging my parents for a dog for so long and then one day, my dad very suspiciously took me to work with him on a Saturday. I had a feeling I knew what we were doing. Sure enough, we were going to look at some puppies. While we were playing with the puppies, there was this one that crawled under my chair and kept looking at me. I knew he was the one. Mellow yellow was his nickname, due to his collar color and he was a bit more mellow than his siblings.

As a very shy and quiet kid who was also an only child, it was nice to have a companion always around. Sunny was very much a people dog and kind of forced me to talk to people. He loved to greet people and was so patient and well mannered.... except the one and only time he ever stole food, which was a slice of pizza and I really can't blame him.

As I got older, I took him everywhere. He loved to go on car rides, even if it was just doing errands. He loved hikes and water, even though he wasn't very good at swimming. He helped us hang many trail cameras and scout many miles. He loved boat rides and inspecting fish. He was no bird dog, but he did like to carry grouse in his mouth once in a while when he tagged along for hunts. When the day came and he couldn't jump into the truck anymore, I mustered all my strength and lifted him up into the truck. He was a little bit too trusting in the beginning and would walk right off the tailgate, knowing I would be there to catch him no matter what.

When I left for college, he kept my parents company. My mother, who strictly said "no dogs in the house", melted when we brought this dog home. While I was away, she made him bone broths to eat with his dinner. My dad would take Sunny to work and he loved to ride along in the truck on service calls.
When I did get to visit, I was always excited to see Sunny and take him on adventures in the mountains. I was always so proud of him and it always made me smile when people talked about how sweet and friendly he was.

He was truly the best dog I could have ever asked for. He was so dang smart. I learned a lot of lessons from Sunny and tried my very best to give him the life he deserved. He taught me what unconditional love really meant. Sunny definitely taught me patience. He was so loved and left a lasting impact on everyone's lives. It was a good 16 years together. Losing him has been extremely tough and painful but I know I did everything I could for him.

Before I got Sunny, my dad made me read a book about owning a Golden Retriever. The last chapter was about when it's time to say goodbye. I always skipped that chapter. Well, I finally read it.
"But remember how much your Golden has given you throughout his lifetime".
"Finally, remember how very lucky you are that a Golden Retriever has changed your life".
Sunny gave a lot and I will always be grateful for him and cherish every second we had together.
The house feels so empty without him and I feel like I can still hear him bark sometimes. We had our daily routine and it's been so sad to not have him around anymore.

"Getting the chance to be loved by a Golden Retriever is a rare and wonderful thing."
Rest easy Sunny. I love him so much.

Screenshot_20221226_190800_Facebook.jpg
20190515_201948.jpg

family pics 005.JPG
23751.jpeg
FB_IMG_1560887593457.jpg
20200718_195910.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member