Caribou Gear

Sunny Boy, Rest Easy

Sorry for your loss. Great memories. Time heals all wounds. Get ready, down the road, as puppies are so much fun but quite a bit of work, TheGrayRider.

I’m really sorry for your loss. Good dogs are hard to lose. I’ve been there several times and it doesn’t get easier, but a new puppy always bring joy and adventure. Hang in there

Elkhuntress this is very touching. Sending you sympathy and support in the wake of your loss, but also congratulations on giving a good dog a wonderful life. Sunny seems like a legendary friend and companion, may he rest easy.

Oofta, so tough, it sounds like you both had some incredible adventures together. It's one of the toughest things ever to say good bye. Sorry for your loss.

This has been written on this site before but it is so true and real it is worth repeating;
"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss"
These lessons are really tough, but if you have loved dogs your heart is very big and will mend over time.

I’m sorry for your loss. Dogs are by far the best friend and companion in life. I hold them in a higher regard than I do a lot of people in my life. Very sorry. I’m sure he gave you every ounce of love he had throughout his life. The threads on Hunttalk that include peoples dogs are always some of my favorites. It’s sad when these particular ones pop up though.

View attachment 258391
Sunny was the best pup I could have asked for. He was my first dog and will always hold a special place in my heart. I cared so very much for him. He was with me for most of my life and was around for many milestones. I remember begging my parents for a dog for so long and then one day, my dad very suspiciously took me to work with him on a Saturday. I had a feeling I knew what we were doing. Sure enough, we were going to look at some puppies. While we were playing with the puppies, there was this one that crawled under my chair and kept looking at me. I knew he was the one. Mellow yellow was his nickname, due to his collar color and he was a bit more mellow than his siblings.

As a very shy and quiet kid who was also an only child, it was nice to have a companion always around. Sunny was very much a people dog and kind of forced me to talk to people. He loved to greet people and was so patient and well mannered.... except the one and only time he ever stole food, which was a slice of pizza and I really can't blame him.

As I got older, I took him everywhere. He loved to go on car rides, even if it was just doing errands. He loved hikes and water, even though he wasn't very good at swimming. He helped us hang many trail cameras and scout many miles. He loved boat rides and inspecting fish. He was no bird dog, but he did like to carry grouse in his mouth once in a while when he tagged along for hunts. When the day came and he couldn't jump into the truck anymore, I mustered all my strength and lifted him up into the truck. He was a little bit too trusting in the beginning and would walk right off the tailgate, knowing I would be there to catch him no matter what.

When I left for college, he kept my parents company. My mother, who strictly said "no dogs in the house", melted when we brought this dog home. While I was away, she made him bone broths to eat with his dinner. My dad would take Sunny to work and he loved to ride along in the truck on service calls.
When I did get to visit, I was always excited to see Sunny and take him on adventures in the mountains. I was always so proud of him and it always made me smile when people talked about how sweet and friendly he was.

He was truly the best dog I could have ever asked for. He was so dang smart. I learned a lot of lessons from Sunny and tried my very best to give him the life he deserved. He taught me what unconditional love really meant. Sunny definitely taught me patience. He was so loved and left a lasting impact on everyone's lives. It was a good 16 years together. Losing him has been extremely tough and painful but I know I did everything I could for him.

Before I got Sunny, my dad made me read a book about owning a Golden Retriever. The last chapter was about when it's time to say goodbye. I always skipped that chapter. Well, I finally read it.
"But remember how much your Golden has given you throughout his lifetime".
"Finally, remember how very lucky you are that a Golden Retriever has changed your life".
Sunny gave a lot and I will always be grateful for him and cherish every second we had together.
The house feels so empty without him and I feel like I can still hear him bark sometimes. We had our daily routine and it's been so sad to not have him around anymore.

"Getting the chance to be loved by a Golden Retriever is a rare and wonderful thing."
Rest easy Sunny. I love him so much.

View attachment 258393
View attachment 258394

View attachment 258395
View attachment 258396
View attachment 258397
View attachment 258398

Sorry for your loss! The worst part about dogs is that we live so much longer than they do. I thought our old dog died in my arms yesterday, it's tough to know it's coming...

Sorry for your loss. I heard something recently in response to sadness over dogs' lives being so short: they have to die before we do, because they love us so completely and genuinely that they wouldn't be able to handle it if we died first.

But...16 years for a large breed, purebred dog is incredible. I'll consider myself lucky if I can get 12 years with mine. Sounds like Sunny had an incredible life.

Your description of Sunny didn't even need to tell me he was a Golden and I knew. They are absolutely amazing creatures and until someone owns a Golden, there is no way to explain to them what it means to have one in your life.

I'm so happy for you that Sunny was able to bless your life for 16 years. That is an exceptional life and I'm sure he lived a very happy one based on being able to stick around that long.

I read this somewhere and it really rings true:
A dog is part of your life, but you are all of a dog's life. It is so true!

To put a wee bit of smile on your face:
You know how to tell who loves you more, your spouse or your dog? Lock them both in the trunk of your car for an hour and see which one is happy to see you!

Hopefully you have put together a photo album of Sunny.

Sorry for your loss, a great tribute to a great friend. We, unfortunately, all have to read that final chapter eventually… in many more ways than we care to think about.

Very sad to hear about Sunny, my condolences to you. There's just something special about dog's, especially Golden's, and Sunny was nothing short of that. 16 is a lot of years for a Golden in my experience, special boy he was!

Back